What the hell is this noise?

easty-5

Member +
Though I'd post this up on here too as it takes about 3 weeks to get any kind of reply on the MR2 forums:

This is really starting to annoy me now. I had my HSD coilovers raised a few weeks back and ever since it has been making this noise when turning left. I cannot for the life of me get to the bottom of it. Everything is tight, there doesn't appear to be any play in anything and the wheel doesn't appear to be fouling anything. Its the front and car is RWD so no CV joints.

This is the offending noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6HgiNYm04

Does anybody have an idea's what on earth it could be?

Cheers

TURBO2010

Member +
my d2's make noise but more like the spring moving and its tight!! but urs sounds like sumthing rubbing!! mabe is the guard around the brake disk bent and rubbing off the break disk?? could av happened when raising em??:)

easty-5

Member +
I should have also added, it won't make the noise when the car is jacked up and you spin the wheel by hand. Its only when the weight of the car is on the wheels.

TURBO2010

Member +
are they adjustable dampers?? a few people ad a problem with the nut right under where the adjuster is being loose and worked for them a treat!!:)

cv joint dose it do it both ways ?
could be an aftermarket diff in the dox like mine only noisy when an full lock . or a fucked box ?

easty-5

Member +
are they adjustable dampers?? a few people ad a problem with the nut right under where the adjuster is being loose and worked for them a treat!!:)

Yea they are adjustable mate. What nut do you refer to? the one you use to stiffen or soften the dampers up with?

TURBO2010

Member +
ya theres a nut directly under the thing u use to adjust the damper! the adjuster should pull straight out and then u use an allen key to stop the damper from turning when u tighten the nut!! i think nut is around a 21 spanner but i just used an adjustable spanner!!:)

steo800

Member +
It is at the front mate, Gearbox is at the back. MR2 = RWD, Engine and box in the back remember. :)

id have went for cv joint aswell.

are you 100% its at the front?

if so, its a consistant sound. only things rotating are brake disc and bearing/hub, so have a close look at them

TURBO2010

Member +
i think i read in a thread sumwhere if its the cv joint when u put it into reverse and then drive around it should get louder!! worth a try!!:)

easty-5

Member +
id have went for cv joint aswell.

are you 100% its at the front?

if so, its a consistant sound. only things rotating are brake disc and bearing/hub, so have a close look at them

Absolutely. It never used to make any noise and the minute I had the front coilovers raised it start making the sound instantly. It didn't take a few days to happen, as soon as the car was taken off the ramps it was making the noise.

There is no play what so ever in the wheel so I doubt it will be the bearing. It is only making the noise when there is weight on that corner.