Whats the best gearbox oil?

jimmer

Member +
I know there is prob a thread on this topic somewhere, but for some odd reason my search bit isn't workin and i'm kinda in a rush too.

So what oil does people use? Has anyone tried different makes/types/weights and noticed a difference? I just want an oil that lasts, doesn't cost the earth and also makes shifting the smoothest possible. Well like everyone prob wants lol.

jimmer

Member +
what weight of oil do you use? is heavier better or what? i haven't a clue what would be good an not lol.

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
just a sip more than 2 ltrs actually, TRD oil for LSDs is 75w-90

Pumba_GT

Member +
Just got my car back just now with Silkolene 75w 90. Take about 2.2 litre to replace the old oil in there.

Monty

Member +
Guys since you already posting about this after how many k/m do you need to change the oil?:confused:

There is no set time but i change mines every 3000 miles, as do most other members. The cars are getting on and they are performance cars so the oil can become contaminated/broken down quickly.

I use Castrol Magnatec 10w 40, its £19.99 for 4 litres in Halfords at the moment. Castrol GTX is good as well.

There are hundreds of great oils its down to preference and what you can afford. You have to change the oil filter when you change the oil as well, its tricky to get to though but there is a tutorial on the site on how to remove it. They are relatively cheap at £5 and there abouts.

Pumba_GT

Member +
Ah ah, he means the gearbox oil not the engine oil. I would say about every 40000-50000km for gearbox oil. Look into the tutorial section, the answer is inside there I believe.