which generation corolla transmission will bolt of to a 4E-FTE motor

cneculae

Member +
hi guys i live in the States
i have a 1992 EP-82 starlet motor and i was wondeirng which generation corolla transmission will fit this motor. some of the guys here told me that a corolla transmission will bolt up but i need to know which year corolla transmission thanks.

im not sure if the toyota corolla's in the US and UK have the asme model name
but any help regarding this question
thanks

cneculae

Member +
i've heard of a 6speed gear box
any one know what it is??

i dont know the code for it exactly but in the States the Toyota Celica GTS has a 6 speed gearbox that will bolt up to the starlet motor
check this forum out some of these guys might be able to help out a bit more

www.toyotanation.com
and www.tercelonline.com

i posted a few questions regarding the 6 speed transmission swap
my username on toyota nation is cneculae
and on tercel online its trancefan
hope this helps
take care

its just i saw a starlet for sale on here a wee while ago saying it had a 6 speed box just wondering what off and whats involved in it

Harvey

Member +
Its not as simple as that...

It has nothing to do with the year.

Right lets start from he start, on the understanding that i know.

The starlet uses a C series transmission. That being a C52 on the EP82 and a C56 on the EP91 (im not sure exact which transmission the NA models uses but believe they all use C series too)

Now corolla's most will use C series, whether it be a 1.3 4EFE or a 1.6 4AFE or 4AGE.

However. The 1.6 4A engines while they are same transmission they use a DIFFERENT bellhousing, so the box would need stripping down first and rebuilt with a 4E bellhousing, so its only the boxes fitted to the 1.3 corolla's that will be a straight fit.

Also worth noting a 5E (paseo/tercel) gearbox will fit.

Now the 6 speed, i dont know persoanlly how easy they go in, but in theory the should fit still being a C series gearbox.

There were very limited numbers of corolla G6 gearboxes in the UK for the 1.3 engine, more were the G6R (1.6 4AFE). Most 6 speeds are made for the 1.6 so agan would need a 1.3 bellhousing

villen25

Member +
Its not as simple as that...

It has nothing to do with the year.

Right lets start from he start, on the understanding that i know.

The starlet uses a C series transmission. That being a C52 on the EP82 and a C56 on the EP91 (im not sure exact which transmission the NA models uses but believe they all use C series too)

Now corolla's most will use C series, whether it be a 1.3 4EFE or a 1.6 4AFE or 4AGE.

However. The 1.6 4A engines while they are same transmission they use a DIFFERENT bellhousing, so the box would need stripping down first and rebuilt with a 4E bellhousing, so its only the boxes fitted to the 1.3 corolla's that will be a straight fit.

Also worth noting a 5E (paseo/tercel) gearbox will fit.

Now the 6 speed, i dont know persoanlly how easy they go in, but in theory the should fit still being a C series gearbox.

There were very limited numbers of corolla G6 gearboxes in the UK for the 1.3 engine, more were the G6R (1.6 4AFE). Most 6 speeds are made for the 1.6 so agan would need a 1.3 bellhousing

would that be the newer celica's, 2003ish?

G6Turbo

Member +
the straight fit gearbox from a corolla G6 is with the code C161 and the levin gearbox (6speed that is) is code C160 same as the corolla G6R mind :)

villen25

Member +
the straight fit gearbox from a corolla G6 is with the code C161 and the levin gearbox (6speed that is) is code C160 same as the corolla G6R mind :)

i would really like one but cant find it on the net... i'm stuck with a 4 speed trans for now, thats why i wanna change it

jezza323

Member +
any C series box will be able to have a starlet bellhousing stuck on it and work :)

i have a C56 from an AE111 in mine. the 6 spd is the C160 also found in AE111's

RX729

Fresh Recruit
Would the C160 bolt right onto a 4E-FTE engine...? If yes, what axles would i use if it were goin into a 1995 toyota corolla...? I know the spline might be bigger or smaller and the length's would be different too... Just wandering if someone knows or seen it done before...

fussman

Member +
the six speed box is weak even on an NA engine. they are also found in the Corolla GT (20v 1600cc black top) from i think 97-98 up to 2000. many guys here had problems with the 6 speed and now run the 5 speed box. when they are turbo(ing) the 20v they usually go for the 5 speed box. i think the g-box on the starlet is one of the strongest that toyota made in those years.

Lowrider_13

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys, hope you all are Ok!

So, the C56 comes on:

* Toyota Celica
* Toyota Corolla
* Toyota Starlet Glanza V
* Toyota AE101 Levin/Trueno
* Toyota AE111 Levin/Trueno

you guys think the bellhousing of de Celica, Corolla the Levin and Trueno will fit the 4E-FTE with no problems??:confused:

Cust i have a EP91 4E-FTE with a tercel 5 speed tranny(long story...) and i messed up mi diff. and the tranny suffered so i was planning on getting a AE101 or AE111 corolla tranny wich has an 7A-FE or 5A-FE.

You guys think its possible??:confused:

Or you have a recommendation, i will very much appreciate your help on this!:):)

Fishy89GT

Banned
havent read the other ones...but for it to bolt straight on you need the one from the 4e fe corolla G6...the other ones you can use is the one off the G6R (1.6) and levin...but you have to swap the bell housing with your original one...apart from that you will need the shifter cables, applies to all boxes above.