Which timing 5e

zwiersjuh

Member +
Hey,

i have a 5efhe engine, with 4efte pistons and 4e camshafts.. But on which timing should i set it? 4e or 5e?

Cheers Erwin

AdamB

Member +
Timing it to the 5E marks makes sense to me, although others have timed to 4E marks before. Do a search there is a big debate thread on it :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
best bet is to dial the cams in correctly using a dti, that will tell you what the correct mark is you should be using

wildchild

Member +
Hey,

i have a 5efhe engine, with 4efte pistons and 4e camshafts.. But on which timing should i set it? 4e or 5e?

Cheers Erwin

you have to set it to the 5E mark. you cannot keep to the 4E mark since your rods and crankshaft are 5E. 5E & 4E strokes are different.

if you can, try to get the 5E cam wheels onto the 4E camshaft. would be better. else you can still go ahead and set it to the 5E mark.

(just curious --> what happened to the 5EFHE cams? your better off with 5EFHE cams as they have a slightly higher lift than the 4E & 4EFTE cams.)

AdamB

Member +
I don't believe that having it timed up to 4e marks make it rev any better. All it does is change the cylinder pressures.

turbok79

Member +
It's all covered in the how to section on hear about 5e convertion. Iv time my 5e to 4e marks. Aze who I got it off said to run them that way

AdamB

Member +
Would love someone to finally test both, to put an end to it lol. As SX said though, dialing it up with a dti is the best method.