Wiring a Civic Fan

seab

Member +
Right i have done a search and gone through millions of threads but cannot find the info i need. I have put a civic rad in my car and used a civic fan. Now i have connected it up but want to ensure it is the right way.
The civic fan has a choice of black wire and (blue black), where the starlet has blue and (white/black) i think. Anyone know what wires mate up to what? before i take the car on long journeys.

J25GTi

Lifer
Solid black would be ground i imagine mate, join them one way, see if it works, if not, try them the other way...

seab

Member +
Ahhh but i cant see if it works until the engine reaches temperature and i dont want to risk it overheating. Call me a worry wart but the car is cursed lol cant afford a split second rise in temp lol.

J25GTi

Lifer
It will be fine, watch the needle if it gets to halfway and hasnt come on then swap the cables.

beter to test it at home then go on a drive and find its overheating when you cant stop or turn the engine off and then actually doing some damage.

As said before, solid black i imagine is earth

durmz

Member +
lol, u couuuld, plug in the old fan, but, wire in on some temp wires the new fan aswell, when the fan comes on, make sure ure new one does aswell lol

to have the fan on constantly just to test that you have it connected the correct way round, you could disconnect the aircon plug( the one that you have to short together when removing the air con) saves having to wait for the car to warm up.
another way is get a meter and test the plug on the car to see which one is earth but testing continuity between the wires and the neg terminal on the battery, iam 95% sure the black is earth tho, from this you can distinguish which way the wires go.

J25GTi

Lifer
Testing the car wont help him identify it on the fan from the civic though, you could unlink the ac though to get it to run permenantly...

to have the fan on constantly just to test that you have it connected the correct way round, you could disconnect the aircon plug( the one that you have to short together when removing the air con) saves having to wait for the car to warm up.
another way is get a meter and test the plug on the car to see which one is earth but testing continuity between the wires and the neg terminal on the battery, iam 95% sure the black is earth tho, from this you can distinguish which way the wires go.

weeJohn

Lifer
Pull the plug off the fan switch at the rear of the thermostat housing and the fan will run all the time no matter what engine coolant temp is.

If the fan is going the wrong way, just swap the wires as the man said above. If you are worried about doing any electrical damage then remove the neg battery terminal when you are playing with the wires, or remove the fan fuse or relay.