15’s to 16’s

Elaine

Lifer
What problems will this bring???

Sorry if this is a silly question but I have after 9 months found 3 sets of wheels that I like but I don’t think they will fit over my brakes so I would like to know if getting them in 16’s will course to many issues

Many thanks
E :)

realistically shouldnt cause any problems elaine.

You wont notice a difference in acceleration only thing you might encounter is a little bit of rubbing of the arches when hitting big bumps on the road dependent on how low you are.

Also some starlets when lowered the drivers rear arch will prob catch with the 16s however a panhard rod is the fix for that, but that might not always happen just depends.

ooh and another thing 16z look so much nicer :rockon:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
as long as u keep the diameter of 21 inches than u have no problem :)

kon

Sigma

Member +
16 are amazing, E!

You know you want them!

DSC_2886.jpg

Elaine

Lifer
16" tyres are quite a bit more than 15's due to being an unpopular size. I have found 16's tend to unsettle the handling on a starlet a bit.

Noted thanks Dave :) Thats is one thing I am not about to compromise on… Looks like I know what I am going with thankyou very much for everyones help with this tops chaps :D

lleey2k4

Member +
I noticed my 15s diameter is bigger than my 16s.

15s = 195/50/15
16s = 205/40/16

Haven't noticed any rubbing at all, seems abit slower on acceleration but handling seems fine.

Definately choose 15s for track as 16s tyres are dear :(

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Just go the whole hog and get 24 inch spinners :p

There are some 15's that'll clear yours Elaine.

liam2368

Member +
I noticed my 15s diameter is bigger than my 16s.

15s = 195/50/15
16s = 205/40/16

Haven't noticed any rubbing at all, seems abit slower on acceleration but handling seems fine.

Definately choose 15s for track as 16s tyres are dear :(

i always though that the second number was not the diameter but the size of the side wall and the first number was the diameter....

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
The worlds greatest MS Paint user strikes again:

Untitled-19.jpg

15's all the way you can make up traction with tire sizes really is no need for 16's imo even with 500hp.

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Because this happens (rep for skills)

Untitled-20.jpg

Obviously that's completely over exaggerated but should show you what happens especially when considering such a light car, this is why we strech smaller tires on to get the best possible c/patch (165/50 888 as opposed to a 195/50 888) :)

Rim width will also alter this and there are many variables like pressures and compund but that is the basics, why we would never recommend a 195/50 888 unless 8inhes or wider.

T

munday

Member +
The only things that are a factor in the contact patch are weight on the wheel and tyre pressure, for example, with 900lbs weight on a tyre, and the tyre pressure is 10 psi the contact patch will be 90 square inches,
30psi and the area is 30 square inches, 90 psi and its 10 square inches (not entirely true for run flat tyres because of the extremely stiff sidewalls)

All you change with a wider tyre is the shape of the contact patch, wider but shorter.

You dont even need a large contact patch anyway because the only things affecting the grip of the tyre is the weight on the tyre and the friction coefficient of the rubber.

A wider tyre will deform less, the deformation heats the rubber, so wider tyres allow a different compound to be used.

A lower profile will help with reduced sidewall stress and better contact patch stability :drive:

Rep that shit! :D

Last edited: