201 hp out of Standard CT-9b

sMARTINside

Member +
Hi guys,

I just have installed the famous SPS (Starlet Parts Shop) Mild steel Ceramic Coated manifold on my Toyota Tercel 1997 powered by an EP91 stock engine and noticed a big difference in the power the car has. As I have a Data logging device in my car, I can make my one dyno runs on the RR (rolling road).

Here is my last "Dyno run" that I have made a couple minutes ago:

09-04-29-Torque-Puissance.png

Torque is in Foot-Pounds and Power is in Hp: These mesurements are at the block, not at the wheels.

Here is my engine:

P4277198-2.jpg

This is the turbo compressor: No Hybrid:
CT-9b.jpg

The setup:

Stock engine internals
Stock turbo (CT-9b)
Stock Actuator
Stock ECU
Stock Injectors
Stock Gaz pressure
Stock cams
Stock distributor timing
Using 91 Octane street gaz

Modifications:
Wastegate ported to 24 mm, shimmed to gain boost (running 13-14 psi peak
SPS Ceramic Coated Manifold
SPS Downpipe
2.25" Free Flow exhaust
Air Filter in front bumper for cold air
Front mount intercooler
FMIC piping starting at 2.25" before FMIC and grows to 2.625" to throttle body

This is the car the setup is in:

P4287217-2.jpg

T

sMARTINside

Member +
Absolutely Sir, my boost never reaches more than 13.4 Psi on this graph, as you can see the Map sensor's reading. I still get the fuel cut at 14 Psi. Nothing special was added to the electronics of the car. The EMS is Stock! It's just a good Flowing system, that I have there!

CMR

Member +
So over 200 horses out of a ct9 with no headwork and under fuelcut also with 91 octane.

An engine with 20k miles on it would just about hit 190 @ fly on the ct9 with an EMB at 1 bar.

Go on a propper rolling road and post their wheel figures

Those figures are way too high surely? Also I noticed that you ran the car in 3rd gear to get the results is a car not meant to be dyno'd in 4th gear??
If they are correct then thats some result but im sure if you put it on a proper dyno you will see a big difference in figures.
Christy

sMARTINside

Member +
These mesurements were taken with the Innovate Motorsports DL-32 data logging system. It mesures the G-Forces that your car takes. Sideways and Front to rear.

I know that these results are astronomical for the small setup that I have. I would like to go on a Dyno to check if this is really accurate. I will try to go to the portable one that will be on an event on the 11th of July... Far from now. I live in a remote region where the Dynos do not exist...

Here is why I beleive in the numbers: Last year, I went drag racing and went for a 14.09 quarter mile. At that time, the module said: 165 horses (at 11 psi peak), with the same outside temperature and conditions. I used 20W-50 oil, which kill a little performance too. Now I run 5W-40 Diesel truck oil, which gave a little juice to the car. I changed the downpipe, manifold, raised the boost, and I feel like the car is way more powerful than last year. If I went for 14.09 on the quarter mile with 165 horses, that would make sense. How fast is it going to be this year?

I don't want to brag that my results are solid as the sun. But I take advice of you guys and I'll try to go on a real Dyno. ;)

GTdan

In The Closet
sorry to say it dude, your data logging device is wrong....not feesable to get result with your mod list and amount of boost your running.

However, would be intrigued if you have a before and after of fitting the manifold?? may help dane out a bit??

End of day, if your happy with car - thats what matters.

sMARTINside

Member +
Yes, I have a figure of last year, with the stock manifold, ported. The only difference on the car, since last year was the change of manifold (power wise):

08-09-17-Torque-hp.png

I really am happy how the whole car is handling right now and the power it has... I just wanted to have some friends to enjoy it with me, after all!

As you can see, This year, I am boosting a little less. I have less low-end torque, but the engine produced a better high-end with the manifold, running less boost...

sMARTINside

Member +
I passed from 193 hp to 201. 201-193 = 8 hp more

Torque passed from 210 ft-lb to 202 : so minus 8 on the torque. Running less boost... 13.4 psi instead of 13.92 psi.

On the drag race, one of my friend made me change a ton of stuff on the car: Ocatne Booster, timing... I didn't feel like that helped me, so, I decided to stay right stock. I just pulls more aggressively, at my feeling. And the numbers changed too, yes...

y3Lo

Member +
im finding this pretty hard to believe... you must also have atleast a FCD and RRFPR? otherwise you would be hitting fuel cut before 13psi

sMARTINside

Member +
I didn't install any FCD or Fuel Pressure regulator. The car ran with around 10-11:1 AFR last year. I would have to check again, soon. Maybe it has got leaner... and produces more power because of that?

I will check the AFR soon and I give you some news, guys. I would like to take an acceleration video where you can see the speedometer. That would give you an idea at least of the speed the needle goes up. You could tell me if my results are really off.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make anybody mad today. I am just there to learn and enjoy the 4E-FTE like you guys! :rolleyes:

The stock fuel cut on my ECU is just over 14 psi. If he sees that I have 14.5 for a couple of seconds, then he cuts, but if I adjust the boost too high, he lets me peak at 15 psi sometimes, for 1 second...

Last edited:

sx_turbo

Lifer
because of the way the innovate reads power, whats the chances that it means 201bhp per tonne of the car?

this would be a slight bit more realistic

y3Lo

Member +
not making anybody mad man, well i hope not :p. but stock fuel cut on a stock ecu is around 12psi, and you cant alter the stock ecu at all..

sMARTINside

Member +
Here are the informations that I have to tell the program so it can calculate Torque and Power from the G-Force:

fillout.jpg

And this is the formula:

?Vehicle weight in kg = m[950]
?Tire diameter in cm = td[57.7]
?Gear ratio of run = gear_ratio[1.392]
?Final drive ratio = finaldrive[3.722]
?i Name of RPM channel = rpm[rpm]
?i Name of Acceleration channel = acc{g}[g]
?Frontal area of vehicle (sqm) = Ar[1,5]
?Drag coefficient = Cd[0.32]
?Current atmospheric pressure (millibar) = atmp[1013.2]
?Current temperature (degC) = temp[5]

#SAE correction factor
SAEcf = (1.18 * ((990/atmp) * sqrt((temp + 273.15)/298)) )- 0.18

#air density
density = 0.0412236 * atmp/ (temp + 273.15)

#tire radius in m
R = td / 200

# speed in m/sec
v = (rpm * R * pi ) / ( gear_ratio * finaldrive * 30)

# aerodynamic draq in Newton
Fa = 0.5 * density * (v^2) * Ar * Cd

F = (m * (0-acc) * 9.81) + Fa
trq = F * R * SAEcf / (gear_ratio * finaldrive * 1.35582)
MC(torque;lb-pi;0) = trq
MC(power;hp;0) = trq * rpm / 5252

#--------------------------