4EFE Crank VS 4EFTE.

Shib786

Member +
Basically, I been told theyre the same crank?

Whats happened is, I got my crank regrind from our local guys who do our work, now its been ground and we need 0.75 bearings, due to the flight problems and the guy cant find none in the uk, now they need to be ordered and will take a week if not longer.

I was told they have the same crank, all I want to ask is,

Would it be able to take the power of a Hybrid CT9 at 1 bar?...

Shib786

Member +
easily hold the power.
ive removed a few,one i took from an na 1.3 starlet engine was the same.

Aye, I hope theyre the same, its just whether its gonna take the power...
Where I work, we do engine rebuilds, but theyre all old school builders and dont beleive in this turning boost up and shit...

So, Id rather use a 4EFE crank that hasnt even been ground once..and get it checked and make sure its ok, than use a 4efte crank thats on its last grind as ive been told....

So I should go for it yeah? Ive got the 4EFE crank available as we're about to do an engine swap on a N/A starlet, so ill nick that :D

Johnny_C

Lifer
Aye, I hope theyre the same, its just whether its gonna take the power...
Where I work, we do engine rebuilds, but theyre all old school builders and dont beleive in this turning boost up and shit...

So, Id rather use a 4EFE crank that hasnt even been ground once..and get it checked and make sure its ok, than use a 4efte crank thats on its last grind as ive been told....

So I should go for it yeah? Ive got the 4EFE crank available as we're about to do an engine swap on a N/A starlet, so ill nick that :D

remove and and compare them,should be the same.

finx

Member +
Well its not on its last grind as you can possibly get 1.0 in bearing size

1.0mm undersized is heeps! that will dramatically reduce the strength of the crankshaft.

as others have said 4efe crankshaft is identical to 4efte.
if you have access to one that measures up ok i would use it over any reground crank

billybob

Untrusted Seller
1.0mm undersized is heeps! that will dramatically reduce the strength of the crankshaft.

as others have said 4efe crankshaft is identical to 4efte.
if you have access to one that measures up ok i would use it over any reground crank

how about the power wise any issues with running big power with the 4efe crank i tought the 4efte ones are alot stronger

sx_turbo

Lifer
the journal sizes etc are the same, but they do have different part numbers from toyota,

and the turbo crank is marked 4et and the non turbo one is marked 4e.

i'msure the non turbo cranik will be fine though.

Johnny_C

Lifer
the journal sizes etc are the same, but they do have different part numbers from toyota,

and the turbo crank is marked 4et and the non turbo one is marked 4e.

i'msure the non turbo cranik will be fine though.

ive removed one from an irish na starlet,and the crank was marked 4ET.

finx

Member +
how about the power wise any issues with running big power with the 4efe crank i tought the 4efte ones are alot stronger

i havnt had them side by side before however having rebuild many of both engines (and i would think of myself as someone that has an eye for attention to detail) i havnt noticed any major differences. if there are any they are very marginal such as Ricky has described the 4efte ones being marked 4et which is the same deal as 2e vs 2et being marked 2et.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
i havnt had them side by side before however having rebuild many of both engines (and i would think of myself as someone that has an eye for attention to detail) i havnt noticed any major differences. if there are any they are very marginal such as Ricky has described the 4efte ones being marked 4et which is the same deal as 2e vs 2et being marked 2et.

good info how about the balance of the cranks :confused:

finx

Member +
all crankshafts going are balanced differently however its not something to be concerned about unless it has been reground or messed with.

toyota has a specific tolerance to which every crankshaft has to meet before it it placed into an engine so putting a crank from another engine into the origonal block isnt going to cause any issues in that respect. there are other things to also consider.
they are not match balanced from factory like some people do when building high HP engines

Last edited:
all crankshafts going are balanced differently however its not something to be concerned about unless it has been reground or messed with.

toyota has a specific tolerance to which every crankshaft has to meet before it it placed into an engine so putting a crank from another engine into the origonal block isnt going to cause any issues in that respect. there are other things to also consider.
they are not match balanced from factory like some people do when building high HP engines

hey finx..how goes ot boss
just a side question
if you use a crank from another engine....wouldn't this affect the bearing clearances on the engine u put it into----as i figure no 2 cranks would be exactly alike or a very small chance of this happening

so assuming your "replacement" crank is within spec...i guess one would need to consider the numbers on the replacement crank and block (which you put it into) when purchasing oem main bearings...

i guess with regards to the connecting rods...its touchy as well,,,,as one could look at the bearings from the rods that came with the replacement crank IF the buyer got them as part of a 2nd purchase (short block or complete engine) and reference these bearings if they were oem items which have the number stamped at the back, so they wouod have an idea of bearing sizes to buy

however, all this is very IFFY business, so its always best to measure everything (connecting and mains) anyways:cool:----to avoid problems

weeJohn

Lifer
A 4EFE crank is not as heavy as a 4EFTE. The journals are the same size (within reason) but the counterweights are larger on the turbo crank.

Anderson you are right in what you say about differences in bearing clearance, we tried to used 4EFTE rods on a 4EFE block but it crushed a bearing due to lack of clearance.