4EFTE is a Non-Interference Head?

Muddy_fox

Member +
Good Day! Mates,

Does 4EFTE is a Non-Interference Head? Meaning when the timing belt got busted/ripped you just replace it and no damage to the valves. I know 4AGE's (20V) are designed for that.

What about the 4EFTE's?

Thanks and regards

lingl9z

Member +
In theory yes it's a non-Interference engine, but if the head/block has been skimmed by a lot i hear it can then cause damage as they'll be closer in theory.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
In theory yes it's a non-Interference engine, but if the head/block has been skimmed by a lot i hear it can then cause damage as they'll be closer in theory.

that is correct, but as standard u have 3mm of clearance in the valve pockets :)

kon

Muddy_fox

Member +
Meaning, if the 4EFTE is stock and not yet been touched/modify, it's a non-interference head due to the "3mm" clearance. But if the head gasket is already replaced with an after market or not OEM, it may cause damage to the valve when the timing got broken.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Mike D EP82

Member +
so y you need to change timing belt every time you take it off as this seem to be the trend

due to the fact that when you tension the belt and its running round millions of times this streches the belt. so in theory its best practice to change the belt everytime its removed not necessarily the tensioner and idler pulleys but you can get away without changing the belt if its not that old.

Mike D EP82

Member +
my answer came straight from an vehicle information garage cd-rom. you may have 3mm but you can still whack a valve at high revs or if the belt snaps as if it does snap, the top end will stop turning and if it stops turning with the valves open and the piston comes up with the valves open then its going to hit it

Jay

Admin
The 4E (& 5E too) is a non-interference engine in it's original state.

@Nexia : Belts are replaced every 100,000 KM / 5 years as part of regular maintenance. It's often more economical to replace a used belt whilst the engine is apart for another reason but the decision is a personal call.

nexia201

Member +
The 4E (& 5E too) is a non-interference engine in it's original state.

@Nexia : Belts are replaced every 100,000 KM / 5 years as part of regular maintenance. It's often more economical to replace a used belt whilst the engine is apart for another reason but the decision is a personal call.

thanks jay i had changed my belt 4 months ago but someone was insisting that if you take the belt off you dont reuse it, (on my 20xe i took the belt off a 100 times and reused it and nothing ever happened . Now i changed the belt but i will keep the used one as it is almost new

Jay

Admin
Worth checking the belt for signs of deterioration when it's off mate, if you see any cracks or perishing of the rubber replace it for safety's sake.

Also if it is contaminated with oil that will accelerate wear/reliability. I wouldn't reuse an oil-soaked belt.

Mike D EP82

Member +
i wonder why the cd got it wrong, its usually fairly accurate?? aw well if jay has it sussed then im not questioning. top dog!!

Jaf_ep91

Member +
personally mate id change it if you take it off. There said to be interference engines but id rather be safe than sorry if you know what i mean. Cheaper to replace a belt than replace a set o valves lol