4efte powered renault 5

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
Not sure if post in correct place..

Does anyone know if this is possible as i have an 86 renault 5 gt turbo ,
it was dynod at 167bhp atw running a garrett hybred at .9 bar boost.
it gives a lot of trouble the engine especially oil leaks,not starting on cold mornings,head gaskets,etc
On the upside its very very rare and its handling pure trackcar absolutly sticks in bends.
im afraid to take it on a track or drive it hard as i know its a ticking time bomb.
The plan is to do a 200+bhp 4efte conversion as i know these engines inside out ,using the garrett hybred does any one know of any obivous problems with this conversion

Mounting brackets can be modified as with drive shafts

Any help will be much appreciated

Jay

Admin
We've seen the 4E implanted into mini's, corsa's, an aygo, even citroen AX's in the past. Never measured the bay of a 5 but if it'll fit in and you can get power to the wheels it should offer some reliability.

That or spend the cash making the renault powerplant more reliable?

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
We've seen the 4E implanted into mini's, corsa's, an aygo, even citroen AX's in the past. Never measured the bay of a 5 but if it'll fit in and you can get power to the wheels it should offer some reliability.

That or spend the cash making the renault powerplant more reliable?

if it goes into an aygo it would go into a 5 only issues i see is inlet maniold being very very close to bulk head.
im now getting a blown 4efe engine+box to see how it lines up to the engine bay.
if it looks compatible i will then take out the 8valve engine.

Place 4efte engine and box in the bay if it will fit ,then hopefully mark out mounting brackets and get the front chassis strenghtened

this is a good project and to my knowledge it hasnt been done before

A french car with a japanese heart

KrissyB

Member +
Hey Fella why dont you just turbo a Williams engine , they fit in the 5 BB peformance tuning had it done and had a 400bhp R5.

But It must fit as the engine isn't alot bigger than the r5 engine and if you can get a Williams engine in then you most certainly will fit a 4efte in:)

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
wow. would be great to see!
has to be done. desperate times call for desperate measures..hopefully this will make the renault 5 an everyday usable car .i must get up pictures of it soon .

might even start a progress thread on this conversion as for others who have these time bomb engines in them.
who may consider 4e transplant to keep this dying breed of 5 in existence as it was the first real pocket rocket hatchback ever put into production.

Without the r5 back in the 60s toyota would maybe never have entered the hot hatch production
toyota seen a market for renaults 5 gt turbo and produced an ep71 turbo in 87..
some members on this didnt already know that..

KrissyB

Member +
has to be done. desperate times call for desperate measures..hopefully this will make the renault 5 an everyday usable car .i must get up pictures of it soon .

might even start a progress thread on this conversion as for others who have these time bomb engines in them.
who may consider 4e transplant to keep this dying breed of 5 in existence as it was the first real pocket rocket hatchback ever put into production.

Without the r5 back in the 60s toyota would maybe never have entered the hot hatch production
toyota seen a market for renaults 5 gt turbo and produced an ep71 turbo in 87..
some members on this didnt already know that..

Good point fella I used to have an R5 there are some build pics on here of when I built my engine, the whole reason I sold mine was too get something reliable :)

Matchew

Member +
A chap who i sold some wheels to on ebay had a 5 with a 280bhp tt engine in it that was unreal, so fitting a 4efte wont be a problem

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
Hey Fella why dont you just turbo a Williams engine , they fit in the 5 BB peformance tuning had it done and had a 400bhp R5.

But It must fit as the engine isn't alot bigger than the r5 engine and if you can get a Williams engine in then you most certainly will fit a 4efte in:)

toyota is the way to go im looking for an everyday usable and reliable power plant that parts are easily available and extra power is relatively accesible with few modifications.

400 bhp is grand for a car that is on show and has thousands upon thousands spent on it. but its too much for a fwd r5 , im basically putting a reliable trouble free engine with less cc and more power into a car that cant be driven as it is, due to cooling/leaks/etc problems

i can see where your coming from but im after usable everyday power not pub talk power

sx_turbo

Lifer
put a clio williams lump in it and be saved.

x2

dont put a decent engine in a shit box renault :p:p

only joking fella, but it's worth thinking about the williams lump, or even possibly maybe the 182 engine?

the n/a will be better for track use, as it has a much smoother power delivery , and will be a more reliable motor.

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
A chap who i sold some wheels to on ebay had a 5 with a 280bhp tt engine in it that was unreal, so fitting a 4efte wont be a problem
that sounds like a really big engine.
my worries are that current copper core rad wont fit with manifold
and the gearbox "extreme right hand side"corner wont fit level in the bay ie tilted engine as box too long.
i will be doing measurments first of all with a replica engine and box before i purchase one

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
x2

dont put a decent engine in a shit box renault :p:p

only joking fella, but it's worth thinking about the williams lump, or even possibly maybe the 182 engine?

the n/a will be better for track use, as it has a much smoother power delivery , and will be a more reliable motor.

i know nothing about 182 clios or williams more to the point trying to find parts etc for a williams would be hard.

i will take your opinion on board and think about it sx,but

the 4efte power plant is more servicable/reliable/more bang for your buck also!
4e is the decision ive made with my requirments

reliabity=toyota iv had about 15 of them

As the saying goes:toyota best built cars in the world

sx_turbo

Lifer
thats fair do's fella.

although i dont personally think that the 4efte engine is particuarly reliable through experiance.

it'll certainly be an interesting build and good luck with it :)

Rubber

Fresh Recruit
thats fair do's fella.

although i dont personally think that the 4efte engine is particuarly reliable through experiance.

it'll certainly be an interesting build and good luck with it :)

the next few days will reveal alot with this project measurment wise and maybe the weekend whip out the 8 valve....

KrissyB

Member +
very very easy to pick up a 182 engine and running gear as i had a 172 cup :):):)

good luck with the build anyways.

even an f16e from a valver wll be a good upgrade :p

Sparky

Member +
All renno 5s have 172 or valver lumps these days, thats probably the way forward

It couldnt handle a 4efte :p