5EFHE turbo starlet

H

hoochhenry

if done what bhp with this conversion on a td04 setup stock internels,as i might be doing this conversion in a week so i will post pics.when im doing this conversion step by step,just need some input on this issue

H

hoochhenry

whats the safest for that conversion on standerd internals

Timmy

Member +
I think you'll find weaker internals and higher compression. You'r probably looking at more like 0.6bar if you can get the tune right.

Timmy

Member +
To me they look skinnier and longer, short stubby rods rods would be stronger assuming they're made from the same material.

Conrod-Comparison-front-fac.jpg

H

hoochhenry

so what power and what boost with tdo4 setup is it worth doing as im going to put pics up and vidos of it when its done

H

hoochhenry

listen ive heard the rods are better out of the 5efhe and useing the pistons out off my 4efte will be the job what do yous think?

PSI JOE

Member +
To me they look skinnier and longer, short stubby rods rods would be stronger assuming they're made from the same material.

Conrod-Comparison-front-fac.jpg

timmy if you look at the other picture of the same thing from the side you will see the 5efhe are in fact bigger even though your right from the front they look weeker. let me see if I can find the pic.

got it here you go.

PSI JOE

Member +
I think you posted this twice but if your to lazy to check your other exact post here is what I wrote on it...btw it was tripping me out for a min...I was like wait a min i though i posted on that lol...

here you go:

id say that would come down to the fueling and tuning you have(obveously the boost pressure could be greater with better fueling/+tuning)! lots of potential indeed if done right. stock thoughs are pretty strong motors under boost even though they are 9.8-1 cp. what would be fun is the pull from the torque:homer:

id say it would be a cool set up. tdo4 on the 5e would be a lot less laggy than on a 4e. someone correct me if im wrong but id assume depending on what tdo4 you use it would be like the lag of a ct9 on the 4efte. + you have the tq of the 5e and the power of the tdo4 + a 5e...I think it would be fun. I was thinking of running the wepr hybrid tdo4 kit for a bit to se how I like it once I get my built 5efhe back. so if you do it keep us updated I wanna see your results.

Last edited:
H

hoochhenry

thanks for imput psi joe and all when im doing it i will post vids and pictures step by step:drive:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
As above using 4efte pistons will help to lower the CR as the 5e pistons are slightly domed where as the 4efte pistons are flat tops. I would also use a thicker head gasket to bring the CR down what boost do you plan to run?

If it's stock internals on a TD04 then I wouldn't go mad, maybe 1.1 bar max and see how that fairs just make sure you have a good tune. Some guys in abroad are running near 300hp on stock 5e internals but they are usinng race fuel (very high octane) to prevent det, that's not realistic and for a road car you will need to be a little more sensible.

If you want help with working out compresison ratios let me know.

T

H

hoochhenry

thanks for reply will need help on compression ratio alright and the best headgasket what size for best boost:drive:

Hi guys so I shot the rod on my 4efte with td04 setup and I bought a new motor.

Turns out the block is a 4e block but it seems like they have put in 5efhe pistons in them. I dont know if the rods have been changed and I dont want to take apart the sump to see. Any help on how to calculate compression for my motor. Ive already gotten a 5mm shim plate and wondering if thats too big and if I can counter the lower comp with more boost or should I just skim the plate to make it thinner. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

when you say shim plate, what exactly do you mean?
i've seen 5e pistons in a 4efte with stock 4efte headgasket, it works, but you need to get a proper tune (ignition and fuel).
it would be advisable for you to drop the sump and check the rods, depending on what boost you plan to run

Reactions: Jay
when you say shim plate, what exactly do you mean?
i've seen 5e pistons in a 4efte with stock 4efte headgasket, it works, but you need to get a proper tune (ignition and fuel).
it would be advisable for you to drop the sump and check the rods, depending on what boost you plan to run
Hi Gorgan.

Thanks for the reply. A shim plate is basically a thick metal plate used as a gasket. And its not just 5e but 5efhe(higher comp pistons) that are in there. Also I plan on going to 1 bar boost with td04l turbo. I will be getting it tuned by a very reliable tuner who knows what he is doing. Id just like to know what would the best or near best cr I should have and how could I calulate the cr

Calum122

Member +
Hhmm, was under the impression the cast pistons on these engines are prone to ringland failure at that sort of boost.

You'd have to seriously knock back the compression for it to take that sort of punishment. Or go forged.

No matter how good the tuner is, they won't be able to stop the ringlands from failing.

My understanding of these engines is limited, well worth having a quick search around the forums though.

Jay

Admin
Hi Andrew,

Don't think I've had any firsthand experience with 5EFHE pistons in a 4E before, I've guessing you already have the head off so can give us a few pics (just out of curiosity more than anything)?

Quick summary of the ratios seen across the range:
4EFE runs 9.6 CR
4EFTE runs 8.2 CR
5EFE runs 9.4 CR
5EFHE runs 9.8 CR

This means that it's a fair step up in terms of compression from your 4EFTE setup. As you already know this could limit your boost level somewhat as she will have a higher risk of detonation/knock. No surprise you are looking at a shim plate. I've heard of people fitting two headgaskets to acquire the same effect but that's a bit too 'backyard' :D

Definitely worth dropping the sump off to confirm which set of rods you have - the thinner flavor doesn't have a good reputation on low compression engines never mind high compression ones, could be another limiting factor..

On the good news front I've turbo'd two potential detonator 4EFE's with encouraging results. Neither high boost but they did function and last without exploding. A gentle tune and a careful ear for detonation might just pay off!