** apexi 3 bar map sensor **

Morph

Member +
Have you tried the scooby sites as loads of them run power fc's or maybe try someone like andy forrest performance see what they reccommend as his drag car runs a power fc if i remember right mate.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
AEM also do a map sensor, maybe it's compatible?

The AEM MAP/Pressure Sensor perfectly complements the AEM EMS or other engine management systems requiring an aftermarket MAP sensor. Constructed of a stainless steel sensor body with 1/8-NPT male thread, the AEM MAP/Pressure Sensor includes a -4 adaptor, a barb adaptor, and a connector plug with flying lead & sensor.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
found this too, maybe they'll ship?

http://www.fdnewbieimports.com/Backup/product2pic.php?n=60

prod60pic1.jpg

This is a Denso 3-bar map sensor configured by Apexi to be "plug 'n play" with the Apexi Power FC. This is a must for those high boost applications!

Price: $195 Shipped

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Hey Ricky,

I am interested in this too but I have been running a stock sensor ever since I have had my power FC even at 1.5 bar currently and works fine ?

I always thought you had to upgrade them in order to get or run higher boost ? But it would appear my stock map sensor is doing the job ?

I don’t have much experience with map sensors so would be great if someone could clarify the need to use and upgraded one ? I know it might give a better reading but I in terms of having to get one too run higher boost I am not sure of as my stock one has not limited me thus far ?

sx_turbo

Lifer
basicly dane,

your map sensor will only read a max of 1bar dane.

your ecu will only see 1 bar also.

so basicly after 1 bar, your ecu is blind to the other 0.5bar of boost.

i beleive you dont get as fine with the 1bar sensor as you can the 3 bar sensor.

one of your tuners should have picked up on this in the past mate

Dane_Bristol

Member +
basicly dane,

your map sensor will only read a max of 1bar dane.

your ecu will only see 1 bar also.

so basicly after 1 bar, your ecu is blind to the other 0.5bar of boost.

i beleive you dont get as fine with the 1bar sensor as you can the 3 bar sensor.

one of your tuners should have picked up on this in the past mate

It has never been raised mate and as far as i am aware i am running a stock Map Sensor and running 1.5 bar fine which is what is really confusing me.

sx_turbo

Lifer
basicly you need to run it really rich on boost cos the ecu cant see the extra 0.5 bar of boost.

the ecu will adjust how much fuel to how much boost you are running.

your tuners should have mentioned something.

do you have a commander?

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Yeah i have a commander buddy. It might be the casue of the maps always being on the rich side but this was done for saftey and Martin never mentioned it when i was done there getting it tunned. I might have to clarify with him. But i have had the power FC unit and commander but never had a upgraded map sensor which is something that i must do.

sx_turbo

Lifer
thats why your maps need to run rich mate, it's to compensate not having the map sensor upgraded.

it's not a problem when just running 1 bar boost.

what boost does your commander show?

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Hey Mate,

Well in that case I need a map sensor urgently.

Never actually looked at it whilst on boost mate kind of hard too lol. Will have to get a mate too look at it whislt on boost too see what it shows.

sx_turbo

Lifer
so i'm guessing if the tuner is worth his salts, he should be able to calibrate the fc to use any 3 bar map sensor :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
ok after talking to paul at engine advantages, it seems that the GM and COSWORTH 3 bar map sensors is compatible with the power fc and anyone worth there salts in the tuning game can make them work

sx_turbo

Lifer
lol erm no i didnt.

i know u said about the cossie, i asked paul about the gm one, as it's cheaper and easier to get hold of, and i can get the plug aswell.

now dave do you have the wiring for the stock map sensor? lol