ATTENTION all Speedvision Headgasket users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_Ben

Member +
I am in the process of building my Forged 4e back up and had opted to use one of Speedvisions 1.2mm headgaskets.

Now i have been reading through a few threads regarding these and some people seem to be having problems with them. I have put a decent amount of cash and hard work into my engine so the last thing i want is HG failure a couple of months down the line, so;

Can people using this headgasket give me some feedback and state weither or not they have had any problems with them?

Can you also state the amount of boost being used and the length of time its been in your engine?

Thanks in advance
Ben

white-ep82

Member +
i know kelly had issues with the speedvision headgasket, but i cant remember anyone else having issues, and i know a LOT of people run them

GT_Ben

Member +
Yea, iv spoke to Kelly regarding this and she kindly expressed her views on the matter.

Just looking for any other first hand experiance before i decide what to use!

Thanks
Ben

Adam_Glanza

Member +
seems that alot of people run them and they seem to be fine, kelly maybe had a dud one but the rest havent complained.

as always not everything can be perfect and youll always get the odd product that has a problem.

may i also add that kellys car also seems to be having coolant issues ( not saying that thats why) but it could have an adverse affect

GT_Ben

Member +
seems that alot of people run them and they seem to be fine, kelly maybe had a dud one but the rest havent complained.

as always not everything can be perfect and youll always get the odd product that has a problem.

may i also add that kellys car also seems to be having coolant issues ( not saying that thats why) but it could have an adverse affect

Well aparantly a few of Kelly's freinds have had similar problems so im just trying to gather as much feeback as possible on these.

I can fully understand that but when it comes down to head gaskets its not something that can just have general defects, it has to be perfect or it can cause major issues futher doen the line.

Thanks for the replies
Ben

Dave.

Member +
Kelly's car was "over-torqued" though.

I remember his mechanic though it was a good idea to give them more torque than the headbolts needed, which could easily be the cause of headgasket failure in my opinion

Dave

sx_turbo

Lifer
Kelly's car was "over-torqued" though.

I remember his mechanic though it was a good idea to give them more torque than the headbolts needed, which could easily be the cause of headgasket failure in my opinion

Dave

yep, exactly that.

over torquing head bolts will make them stretch to much so they wont be as strong as the should, and squash the gasket to much, making it weak.

but as with any part, you can still get the odd one or to that are of bad qaulity slip through the net.

where i work, we deal with british gaskets, they sell millions and millions of gaskets each year, and are very very good.

we prob get about 2 per year break.

like sony telly's, brilliant brand but i bet even they get a few returns each year

steveep82

Member +
I got one in my engine at the minute, ive even reused it and it seems fine so far. I did notice that it looked to be leaking between 2 and 3 when i took it off the first time however. Ive done 4000 miles on my forged engine and it sees 1.5bar now daily on a td04

GT_Ben

Member +
Thanks for the reply Steve!

Were you not concerned when re-using after finding what looked to be a leak? How many miles had you done on it before your rebuild and did you just use the standard torque settings on you bolts?

Thanks
Ben

steveep82

Member +
I did 200 miles on it before it blew up on stock internals on a trackday after the boost controller failedand gave me unlimited boost. I was i little concerned about the leaking, but i used sealant and had the block and head skimmed, and the car has been fine ever since, touch wood!

Gee

Member +
I am using SpeedVision headgasket, boosting 1.4bar on TD04L for a good few months now and have no isses. My car is driven everyday.

It appears that the people who posted issues with the SV HG had problems already. Such as over floWing coolant and over torqued heads.

Problem is, I am sure one user changed their HG gasket after having overflow coolant problems and did not even check the head to see if it needed skimming, installed the SV HG and still has problems. So in that scenario, how can it be said it is the SV HD?

Not saying none are dud, maybe some are. With everything that is mass produced a small % may have faults.

59bhp

Member +
It appears that the people who posted issues with the SV HG had problems already. Such as over floWing coolant and over torqued heads.

Problem is, I am sure one user changed their HG gasket after having overflow coolant problems and did not even check the head to see if it needed skimming, installed the SV HG and still has problems. So in that scenario, how can it be said it is the SV HD?

overflowing coolant is a result of a knackered headgasket not the cause.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
but then why did it not fix it with the new headgasket? very strange that.

i actually had a overflow problem too, which i found the problem too along with turbodave but others didnt support it.

but my headgasket was absolutely fine

Gee

Member +
overflowing coolant is a result of a knackered headgasket not the cause.

Do you not understand what I am saying?

If the head is warped after the initial HG issue causing it to faill and then a Speedvision HG is fitted without the head checked/skimmed then obviously it will fail again.

But whatever, I've given my feedback. Let you know if I have any problems in the future.

Kelly

Member +
I absolutly love how everyone on here says whats happening with our car!

Adam-Glanza - our car has never had coolant issue the temp has only ever reached 100degrees once on the old standard HG when it went after that never ever gone over 85degrees so please dont comment on things u dont know ;)

I dont think at all that the headbolts have been overtorqued, but then again u was all there and know our car better than us right?!EVEN if there was a chance that it had been I know of three good friends of mine who have the same trouble with the the same HG! maybe they all have duds too? dont think so....

Kelly

Member +
Do you not understand what I am saying?

If the head is warped after the initial HG issue causing it to faill and then a Speedvision HG is fitted without the head checked/skimmed then obviously it will fail again.

But whatever, I've given my feedback. Let you know if I have any problems in the future.

Well before anyone assumes this about our car too our head was skimmed and pressure tested before the Speedvision one went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.