Autobahn S/S Manifolds

stuart

Member +
Anyone using one yet? For a conderable amount of time, any stress marks etc?

Just looking at one at the moment, would like to know some other user's opinons.

thanks,
stu

G6Turbo

Member +
if u put a brace between the head flange and the turbo flange it should last u a long time :), and be sure ur decat is braced too

starbogt

Member +
not even checked my decat. Is it normally flange to flange bracing on the decat? as for all the bracing it also comes down to more than this as the engine mounts move and also need to make sure the exhaust has a flexi joint in it too. But the main reason I hear that stainless cracks is due to the heating and cooling processes it goes through if its not been made to a high standard.

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
But the main reason I hear that stainless cracks is due to the heating and cooling processes it goes through if its not been made to a high standard.

I don't think that's really a factor as the molecular structure of metals like steel are only really affected when cooled QUICKLY from a high temperature...I'd recite my uni notes but can't be bothered as it means I've actually learned something and refuse to accept that :p

But pretty much, it takes quenching for the metal to become brittle to the point of cracking, stainless steel will lose heat quicker than mild steel for example, but not to the point of having it crack. Not for a long while at least

dac69er

Super Moderator
problem is. the stainless manis arent shielded against water. drive the car in this country and water will very quickly toch the manifold when hot.

starbogt

Member +
I was refering to the bending process and the welds! Would it help if it was heat wrapped to stop it cooling too quickly?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Heat wrapping can be dodgy on s/s as it creates heat spots as it's hard to get a even flow across the manifold. I would say ceramic coat but it will cost more than the manifold.

Stainless 304 is prone to carbide precipitation when at high temps so it's not ideal, 321 would be a more suitable choice. Wall thickness is also very important. Personally with all the cheap s/s manifolds we've had countless problems hence we made a mild steel version which is soon to be released once we have some figures. We will wait and see how these AB88 manifolds turn out before we buy before trying..

T

riko666

Member +
problem is. the stainless manis arent shielded against water. drive the car in this country and water will very quickly toch the manifold when hot.

Bingo

Most SS manifolds are just lots of little bends welded together, so the metal itself isn't really stressed in the process - those that use complicated bends will most probably be mandrel bent, which again, doesn't really stress the metal much.

The main cause of failure of the SS manifolds is the fact that the Stainless Steel used is of a thin gauge, and possibly thermal fluctations as Duncan mentioned, if water touches the manifold or if they're rapidly cooled somehow

Rory

Lifer
Stainless 304 will crack due to the heat and the vibration from the engine.
It work hardens, therefor cracking. Also 304 is pants.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
What would you say Rory min of 321 that's what I was always taught back in the day and that's what our new one is made from.. I don't pretend to be an exhaust fabricator as it's an art in it's own but I can't see any cheaply produced s/s manifolds lasting in 304.. Well the ones I bought years ago didn;t!

T

Rory

Lifer
Minimum of 316, in my opinion.
As you say, i aint an exhaust fabricator, i just know enough about metals ;) (Not in a smart arse way!!)

Jules-B

Member +
starbo gt...i know somone that can weld a brace onto one if you need..

has a garage oposite me..does nothing but welding!

Aga

Member +
Stainless 304 is prone to carbide precipitation when at high temps so it's not ideal, 321 would be a more suitable choice. Wall thickness is also very important. Personally with all the cheap s/s manifolds we've had countless problems hence we made a mild steel version which is soon to be released

T

since you know which metal is good and which is not, why make mild steel manifolds, which are vastly inferior even to the 304, but their only saving grace is their wall thickness. why not choose to produce a quality item, built by 321, rather than impress the crowds with low prices on manifolds that deteriorate internally from the heat, sending death particles into their turbos?

Dane_Bristol

Member +
So 321 Manifold quality would be more desireable that mild steel ? I am sure it is not cheap to be made but would be a real sucess if done i would of thought. Most people dont really understand the diffferences so its quite hard to comprehend if you arnt in the business and are a newbie to it all.

Of course ance explained it does make sense to go 321.

starbogt

Member +
starbo gt...i know somone that can weld a brace onto one if you need..

has a garage oposite me..does nothing but welding!

Cheers Mate where are you based? but does the guy weld in stainless I know plenty of welders but none which do stainless!