Best Suspension Setup for Irish Roads??

clarkytrd

Member +
Gonna be replacing everything in my car in the new year as im doing a little forged project and just wanna know what is the best suspension setup for irish roads..?

currently got trd's on the front and tanabes on the rear but the car is far too hard, need something alot more comfy but something that can hold the road really well..

All idea's appreciated!

John

clarkytrd

Member +
cheers for the link corey..

think Johnny_C said something the other day bout suspension, best setup he'd been in... cant remember where he said it now though.

keep your opinions coming!

Cheers Phil no worries Clarky its a strange one imo I love the comfort I have with my setup but it would'nt be great on a track I would maybe want a tiny bit more pre-load on the springs maybe so its like will I just get coilovers and be done with it. I'd need to get a shot in a few different setups and come to a proper conclusion. Most I've been in are great on bends solid as a rock but on the typical roads we have its just way to rough and every panel on the car just seems to want to burst off and I hate rattles in cars it drives me mental.

clarkytrd

Member +
ohh god dont get me started about rattles, everything in my car rattles like f**k!! drives me up the wall..

think i may try a few setups myself too, was recommended BC Coilovers but i dont know what to do!?

these poxy irish roads are a disgrace, and ive to drive up and down a bad bastardin country lane ten times a day so, dunno what to go for:haha:

Foggy

Member +
I think any sort of coilovers are out of the question for comfort. Koni or simular would be ok.

This is my opinion my car is now decent enough in the bends where its enjoyable but still has a lot of comfort so I dont see the reason for me to get coilovers as I dont want to be going the speed through corners which coilovers would enable me to do some people love it but I just think its way to much for public roads I would'nt be one for going flat out round the country side back roads. I think I have the car balanced to the way I want to use it. It would'nt be alot of peoples cup of tea but I totally see where they are comming from too.

MeisterR

Lifer
The way you guys describe the Irish Roads like part of an off road rally stage. :haha:

As I have said in the link above, it depends on what you are looking for out of your suspension.
A good suspension setup should be "compliant" through the "Irish Roads", not jaw shattering.

Dual Perch Coilovers such as the MeisterR Zeta-R allows you to fine tune your ride much better than springs/dampers combination because you can adjust the springs/dampers/ride height independently.

The next important key is getting all the specification correct as that will be the difference between a car that will grip the road vs a car that will skip across bumps.

clarkytrd

Member +
what kinda shocks and springs??

adjustable / non adjustable??

there wont be one bushing, nut or bolt that wont be replaced on this when its finished!

Johnny_C

Lifer
cheers for the link corey..

think Johnny_C said something the other day bout suspension, best setup he'd been in... cant remember where he said it now though.

keep your opinions coming!
tanabe coilovers,they are in bov's car,aidan-g's brother.i like cusco too.
i have to laugh at the bc hype,i mean,ppl say they are the same standard as cusco,not a hope,cusco are twice the price for a reason.
bc/d2/k-sport are the same coilover with maybe different springs rates.

clarkytrd

Member +
mm tanabe coilovers.... where can i pick up a set of them johnny??

never seen them to be honest, i dont think so anyway...

need something for everyday IRISH road use:p

The way you guys describe the Irish Roads like part of an off road rally stage. :haha:

As I have said in the link above, it depends on what you are looking for out of your suspension.
A good suspension setup should be "compliant" through the "Irish Roads", not jaw shattering.

Dual Perch Coilovers such as the MeisterR Zeta-R allows you to fine tune your ride much better than springs/dampers combination because you can adjust the springs/dampers/ride height independently.

The next important key is getting all the specification correct as that will be the difference between a car that will grip the road vs a car that will skip across bumps.

It pretty much is an off road rally stage dude I wish I was joking the wrc was actually based where I live too they had a good bit of travel on there setups lol. I get what you are saying dude I'm well up to speed on suspension. I have a shock on my push bike that has an air pressure compression adjustment , ending stroke (bottom-out) adjustment, low speed rebound adjustment ,beginning stroke compression adjustment, ending stroke compression adjustment, Spring preload and sag adjustment the thing took me nearly 3 months to set up lol. I'm just happy the way my car performs so I see no reason for me to get coilovers. I a had a GT with a set it was like a go kart through bends good fun but not so good when it came to the road surface it spent most of the time on. The way I have it now is sweet compared to it. I know people are going to say maybe its just the coilovers I have experienced well if I can get a set of coilovers that can put up with the pots holes , dips and cambers of the roads we have and give me the same comfort I will gladly buy them. Just my opinion though :)

If you're going to be driving quickly on Irish roads a good shocks and springs setup is the job, comfy for everyday, can handle the corners, and very good at speed on the bumpiest of roads.

The reason I prefer my current setup(KYB special SR's + espelir springs) to the coilovers I have experienced is all of the above plus I know if I come flying round a corner and ther is a car coming the other way and a big pothole on my side of the road that I can't avoid, the car is a lot less likely to jump about and get out of control.

all my opinion of course based on the experiences I've had

Johnny_C

Lifer
mm tanabe coilovers.... where can i pick up a set of them johnny??

never seen them to be honest, i dont think so anyway...

need something for everyday IRISH road use:p
id try tom@titanautoworks over on dtdirl to see if he could source u a set.

clarkytrd

Member +
yes il try tom, dealt with him before!

any feedback on the meister r's???

keep ideas coming on shock and spring setup, would love to know everyones opinion

MeisterR

Lifer
It pretty much is an off road rally stage dude I wish I was joking the wrc was actually based where I live too they had a good bit of travel on there setups lol. I get what you are saying dude I'm well up to speed on suspension. I have a shock on my push bike that has an air pressure compression adjustment , ending stroke (bottom-out) adjustment, low speed rebound adjustment ,beginning stroke compression adjustment, ending stroke compression adjustment, Spring preload and sag adjustment the thing took me nearly 3 months to set up lol. I'm just happy the way my car performs so I see no reason for me to get coilovers. I a had a GT with a set it was like a go kart through bends good fun but not so good when it came to the road surface it spent most of the time on. The way I have it now is sweet compared to it. I know people are going to say maybe its just the coilovers I have experienced well if I can get a set of coilovers that can put up with the pots holes , dips and cambers of the roads we have and give me the same comfort I will gladly buy them. Just my opinion though :)

Yea, that sound pretty rough. :haha:

I see you are pretty up to date with suspension... that is one of the reason I decide to not offer the high end suspension that I been working on.
I done a prototype coilovers (For my demo BNR32) that is a fully dual perch design, with external reservoir to hold oil and accept nitrogen gas pressure. Combined with separate adjustments for low speed compression, high speed compression, and rebound.

The problem with suspension like this is most people (including myself) actually lack the needed experience to adjust such coilovers.
This especially show up in tracks as I was talking to an engineer how increasing the bump (compression) may make the car more stable in certain corners, but less stable in other parts of the circuit; it get very intensive and depend largely on what the "driver" want the car to do. But in most case, drivers have NO IDEA... it is up to the engineer to ask the right question to them so he can adjust the suspension for the drivers... :slap:

One of the thing I did with the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers is packing as much damper stroke travel i can possibly do given the space. This is a bit difficult as there isn't alot of "space" in the rear of the EP82/91 chassis. So providing a coilovers that can lower enough for the our "liking", along with providing enough springs and damper stroke travel using the 4.0kg/mm springs (which require longer springs and travel due to its weight) get quite precise. I am happy with the new design and I am sure most customers will be happy also.

It should provide compliant handling through rough roads, along with enough damper travel so you won't bottom out, plus have enough adjustment to lower the car or raise the car to your desire ride height.

Phil

Super Moderator
someone needs to built a budget coilover(miesterR/D2/Ksport/BC/Apex etc) with the same ride and spring rates as a Tein superstreet. seriously it would sell like nobodys business.

Phil

cameroon95

Member +
As much as i love my bc's they are still pretty hard/bumpy even on the softest setting.

I would go down the shock/springs route if you want comfert, i hear good things about kyb.

MeisterR

Lifer
someone needs to built a budget coilover(miesterR/D2/Ksport/BC/Apex etc) with the same ride and spring rates as a Tein superstreet. seriously it would sell like nobodys business.

Phil

I'll have a look into the lower springs rate, but I think it wouldn't change alot on the comfort level as it is mainly down to the dampers.

Another issue you have to remember is that the Tein SuperStreet is single perch coilover with twintube damper, where the MeisterR Zeta-R is a dual perch coilover with monotube damper.

Monotube damper have shorter damper stroke travel than twintube damper due to its design, but I try to pack as much damper stroke travel into the Zeta-R given the space anyways. This is why MonoTube works well in a dual perch coilovers design as you don't loose damper stroke travel as you lower the car.

The point is that lowering the spring rate doesn't just change the comfort level if it does at all, there are other factors to consider and it adds springs travel during cornering so therefore add body roll.

The Zeta-R are already designed to be compliant over rough roads, most of the people who used the Zeta-R all said it is pretty comfortable at its current specification. If we drop the spring rate by 40% (5kg/mm > 3kg/mm), thats changing the specification by quite alot and I worry how it will affect the compliancy over rough roads to be honest.