can a starlet or glanza ever handle like an EK9

mikeylove

Member +
i just went for spn in my mates civic EK9 type-r, the handling was awesome and 10times better than my glanza, i am on standard suspension atm is there anyway i can get my car handling like the type-r or better!!!

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Mine seems to handle better than any EK i have had try and keep up with me in bends. I'm running

Handling
Cusco ZERO 2 fully adjustable coilovers w/ camber adjustment
TRD front and rear strut bars
Limited slip diff
Standard rear, 3G 10 groved vented front Brakes
Mintex 1144 Brake Pads
APP Stainless Mesh Teflon Brake Lines

Alloys & Rubber
15" Rays Engineering Volk TE37 White Racing spec alloys
Semperet Direction sport 195/50/15.

and i'm adding a Rear Ajustible ARB and a TRD Front ARB in the near future

mikeylove

Member +
it was my mates black ek9, and i am getting d2's sometime next week with the anti lift kit, just have to get the panhard rod and the arb's now

tucka

Member +
yeah im out with my mate all the time in his ek9 and it is pritty mental going round corners!

p2d

Member +
Bah, my handling will out-do any rice boy in his civic! Altho the power may not.

ryan_v

Lifer
d2s were the best thing id done 2 my car!

i think stock suspension and brakes on starlets are pish tbh. ive drove a good few newer cars and the majority seem to be better handling than mine.

i drove my m8s 1.3 sr yaris and its stock brakes were far better than my uprated ones! pads 10groove discs and braided lines.

GTti

Member +
With the right mods any car can handle.

I drove the GTti 15 miles at the weekend, it's on rails on country bends at 60mph.

I felt sick after though, my spring rates are very solid the only thing moving was my stomach. Will have seats and harnesses in shortly though :)

Driving position is a very under rated thing in my opinion.

riko666

Member +
an EK9, will always outhandle an EP, always

Live rear axles, do not usually spell - good. Too explain, mid-corner bump wouldn't ruffle an EK9's feathers whereas in our cars it's going to always create a sharp bound rebound as the complete unsprung weight of the axle has to react to the bump, they will grip harder in a bend as Double Wishbone suspension creates dynamic negative camber in cornering, whereas the Macpherson struts of our cars create dynamic positive camber, and the rear suspension can be changed for alignment on the EK9, whereas it can't on ours, allowing for much greater adjustability on the throttle as you can tune in some toe-out when off the throttle to rotate the rear end and so on...

But as Luke rightly said - money will buy you handling, it's just the suspension layout will determine which has the edge. Getting grip out of a car, is easy...getting decent steering & chassis feel, adjustability, mid-corner bump compliance, and handling balance...is not

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
it's what happens when you've been dreaming of cars since popping into the world...if I could digest metal, I would say I "eat" cars too, I just sleep cars (tried drinking, but petrol doesn't taste nice :p)

hardcoreep

Member +
an EK9, will always outhandle an EP, always

Sorry, don't believe that. With Tein Hard springs/KYB SuperSpecial/20mm rear sway bar/Carbing upper and lower front bars/Whiteline rear bar I BLEW my friend's EK9 into the weeds. It was so easy it wasn't even funny. The EK9 is a twitchy beast at high speeds on anything but the smoothest surface. I didn't even have an LSD like him. No contest. I've taken on all Hondas (bar an NSX) and I have fun accelerating thorough the corners just to embarrass them.

The best handling car I've ever come across is the STi as long as its being driven by someone that can drive.

I have never bought into that 'live axle' crap. Where I used to live Porsches and Mustang Cobra Rs used to fight it out all day long on the circuit. Both couldn't be different cars, but you couldn't pry them apart. There are Hondas here that can't post the times the supposed inferior starlets can. My friend just posted lap times 2 seconds off a Junior World Rally Car. The number four time was posted by a 4AGE powered EP82, which was ahead of a Hyundai F2 Coupe. The closest Honda wasn't even in the top ten.

I will admit that the EK9 out of the box would be a better handling car, but that's it purpose. The EK has a very sensitive suspension and any changes to it make it handle worse. Apply the same theory to the EP and you'll have a very capable car.

Last edited:

Auto EP82

Lifer
thats the main thing i dnt like bout my gt it doesent handle very well i got lowering springs and 17s.I used to have a corsa c with 17s and toyos all round i did the handling circuit at santa pod and was 0.1 secs bhind a corsa b with twice the pwr of mine the corsa was also semi auto was funny.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
thats the main thing i dnt like bout my gt it doesent handle very well i got lowering springs and 17s.I used to have a corsa c with 17s and toyos all round i did the handling circuit at santa pod and was 0.1 secs bhind a corsa b with twice the pwr of mine the corsa was also semi auto was funny.

17's wont help and you'll need more than just springs to sort the handling issue.

Basically its all money

Auto EP82

Lifer
yeh i no m8 sellin it in the summer so not spendin n e more money on it.Why do the 17s make it handle bad m8 as when i put them on the corsa it handled a hundred times better.I thought the wider tyres=more grip as long as tyres are gd.