Computer hacked into

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Well I didn't think this would ever happen to me but has...

Yesterday I received an email from an ebay seller thanking me for a paypal payment of $226.98 and saying that the processor I had just bought would be sent promptly out to my address... in India.

I first thought this was a phising scam so didn't click any links on the email but opened a new browser and tried to access my paypal but couldn't, my password and all security settings had been changed. I contacted the ebay seller to tell him not to send the processor and then phoned paypal.

At this point the email I had just received and one from the ebay seller magically deleted themselves then as I tried to open my hotmail account from another browser my password wouldn't work there.... then the same happened with my googlemail account.

I then cancelled my online banking so no more money could be taken and got my girlfriend to access my ebay account and change the password there,
I'm now typing this from my girlfriends laptop and have managed to get my googlemail account back and secure and paypal have started an investigation to try and get my money (£200) back.

So I need some advive, how can this have happened in the first place? What can I do to prevent it happening again and what can I do to make sure my computer is completely virus/spyware free as I don't want to do anything on it at the moment until I'm sure its safe.

Its not a nice feeling being robbed and my email accounts all taken from me.:(

starbogt

Member +
get a router with built in firewall and use good passwords or a software fiirewall keep it all updated etc. You may find the problem microsoft had with internet explorer recently had something to do with your hacking issue!

Gee

Member +
Doesnt matter if you have all the security in the world.

If you recieve a link which you click, your doing the hackers job for him if this is what has happened?

D1v

Member +
It happened to me to I got an email from what i thought was ebay saying i had to update my password i know i was a dik for going long with it but tbh i didnt even think anything of it so I did that next thing i know i got a letter saying i owe £600 for a laptop i never purchased :eek: so i try log onto ebay and obviously i cant caus the diks changed my password was the same with my msn just aswell i have a different one for paypal, i had to get in touch with both and prove what had happened it was a complete nightmare eventually i got them back but when i seen my msn account there was loads of email asking for owed money like thousands of pounds i was so shocked the damaged that could be done they only had my account for a cpl of days so i had to write a letter to all of them explaining what had happened another nightmare lol luckily enough i didnt lose any money and learnt a very valuable leason so m8 the best advise i can give would be to very cautious get some good virus/spam email software and to make sure u have different passwords for everything gl with getting it all sorted :)

WallaceGlanza

Member +
No Gee I didn't click any links I really don't know how its happened, I opened paypal in a different browser when I received the email but the password had already been changed.

Its like there is a key tracker program on the computer since as soon as I went into my googlemail he managed to change the password there and block my access. I've been using firefox for a while too, but do still occasionally use ie, what was the recent problem?

I use avg virus and spyware but will be changing to avast and I might get a router with fiewall for extra security as advised, all my passwords have been changed too, I had a mac before and it was better!:p

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
My mate (PC geek) told me that is a problem with Internet Explorer at the moment, whereby some form of Trojan (or something) stores all your passwords etc... He said that even Microsoft have said not to use Internet Explorer, and to use something else...

That's why I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3.0 at the moment...

Gee

Member +
My mate (PC geek) told me that is a problem with Internet Explorer at the moment, whereby some form of Trojan (or something) stores all your passwords etc... He said that even Microsoft have said not to use Internet Explorer, and to use something else...

That's why I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3.0 at the moment...

They patched that within a day, so if everyone updates through windows you should be OK.

starbogt

Member +
The problem with internet explorer was found when a guy had his pc acessed via a hacker and he recieved emails confirming send bank transfers in excess of £1000's per transaction and cleared him out. he never got this back! 3 days or so later microsoft released a patch to rectify all internet explorer browsers.

I would disconnect your pc from the net and scan for malicious adware spyware and virus's don't forget they need updating 1st!

smythy75

Member +
The problem with internet explorer was found when a guy had his pc acessed via a hacker and he recieved emails confirming send bank transfers in excess of £1000's per transaction and cleared him out. he never got this back! 3 days or so later microsoft released a patch to rectify all internet explorer browsers.

I would disconnect your pc from the net and scan for malicious adware spyware and virus's don't forget they need updating 1st!

or.....buy a mac!

gv1.3

Admin
or.....buy a mac!

hate macs they are shite.

If you must go with an OS other than windows go linux... macs, like all other apple products, are totally proprietary and annoying to use.

Dont trust any machine that has a one button mouse!

smythy75

Member +
hate macs they are shite.

If you must go with an OS other than windows go linux... macs, like all other apple products, are totally proprietary and annoying to use.

Dont trust any machine that has a one button mouse!

now now....lol

apples are made the way things should be, buying a pc is like buyin a non jap car! a mac is a jap car in the computer world!

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I didn't expect this to turn into another vtec thread:p

why dont you get the address where the cpu was going to be delivered in india??

I already have and will be taking it to the police.;)

Pretty much the same as whts happened to me but I only had £200 in paypal, hopefully they're going to do something about it though. I disconnected the computer straight away and I'm going home to download and replace the avg I was running.

bigdoods

Member +
can ya download firefox or do you buy it?only after getting a new laptop.using internet explorer here and reading thios thread worries me