Confusion about cam timing on my 2E ? ? ?

brodie_84

Fresh Recruit
Does anyone have any info on how to set the stock cam on my 2E-TELU ? ?
I put the crank at TDC on #1 and fitted the cam gear to the cam.
On the cam gear it has 2E and 1E positions on it, with a little hole through it, which i am guessing is so you can line it up with the dot on the head.

There are 2 dots on the head though. One at 12 o'clock and another one back at approximately 10 o'clock.

I set the cam to the one at 12 0'clock and took the car for a drive. It sounds like it running ok but it is very slow to rev and not making its full power.
It comes on boost but wont seem to rev.

Also, when setting the cam timing where should the lobes be at on #1 ? ?

The way it is set up now is with all the lobes on #1 all facing towards the top. And #4 has just finished the intake and about to open the exhaust valves.

Should that be right??

And just to double check.. should the firing order be 1 , 4 , 3 , 2 ? Thats what is marked on the dizzy but it seems a little out of the ordinary??

350ep70gr

Member +
Does anyone have any info on how to set the stock cam on my 2E-TELU ? ?
I put the crank at TDC on #1 and fitted the cam gear to the cam.
On the cam gear it has 2E and 1E positions on it, with a little hole through it, which i am guessing is so you can line it up with the dot on the head.

There are 2 dots on the head though. One at 12 o'clock and another one back at approximately 10 o'clock.

I set the cam to the one at 12 0'clock and took the car for a drive. It sounds like it running ok but it is very slow to rev and not making its full power.
It comes on boost but wont seem to rev.

Also, when setting the cam timing where should the lobes be at on #1 ? ?

The way it is set up now is with all the lobes on #1 all facing towards the top. And #4 has just finished the intake and about to open the exhaust valves.

Should that be right??

And just to double check.. should the firing order be 1 , 4 , 3 , 2 ? Thats what is marked on the dizzy but it seems a little out of the ordinary??

I have no experience about the 2e but i think that at the 4 cylinder when you have ''just finished the intake and about to open the exhaust valves.''
Should be the two valves pressed down (open both a small amount and just a litle bit more the ex than the intake.(but both at overlap.) So i guess since you dont know the marks to point the cam like this and see if it lined up with a mark around.
And about the firing order most engine should be 1342 but may the 2e is different.But if you were wrong around there you should probably have massive misfires,maybe back fires,or even starting issues(not starting at all).
Check what i tell you about the 4th cylinder lobe or make it happened to the first lcylinder valves and just give the crank 2 turns and after dont forget to redo the ignition timing cause will be way out.

Chris

Last edited: