coolant pump: how to know when dying

dark_knight

Member +
just wondering from the vast pool of knowledge here if there is any other way of knowing when your coolant pump is about to pack up.
i know the obvious fault would be overheating but before it gets that serious, water pump squeaking..? minor leaks around it..? any info will be appreciated..

Jay

Admin
You could hear a whine from it if the bearing was to wear out but normally it's the seals that go on the inside. Watch for a drip of coolant out of the drain hole in the bottom of the pump whenever you park up.

dark_knight

Member +
usual suspects

thanks Jay.. i asked because i heard a squeal today after the car had been parked for 2 days in dry weather. it would wail when revved up slightly from idle. then it just stopped by itself. the belt was/is taut and my alternator was recently done up so i threw it out of the equation. i was more inclined towards the fact that it could be the coolant pump but just wanted to pick a few brains before i concluded anything.. :)

Jay

Admin
A squeal from the belt isn't uncommon. Just check that the belt isn't undertensioned/overtensioned, possible if it's been removed recently.