Cracked Head or gasket HELP PLEASE

Auto EP82

Lifer
If i start my car when the engine is up to temp it sounds like it runs on 3 cylinders and a cloud of white smoke comes out of the exhaust.We thought it could be a dodgy plug so changed them all for new ones and made no difference so we got it pressure tested all it doesent hold pressure we then took plug two out and you can see water dripping on to the piston.Now the reason for the misfire is when the car is stopped the water is dripping on to the piston stopping it sparking untill the water has been burnt away there for the cloud of smoke.After this water is burnt away it runs like normal but the coolant overflow tank is bubling aswell.

Has anyone else encountered this and any help welcome want to no if it is a cracked head or just blown gasket cheers pete.

Auto EP82

Lifer
Yeh i thought so well il have to asume it is head gasket and get the head tested when off cheers for the help m8.

sx_turbo

Lifer
more likely to be the headgasket, starlets arent prone to cracking heads, but again you cant tell till its off

Auto EP82

Lifer
well the reason i fear it could be craked head is a while ago it was pinking realy badly and im worried the head may have got to hot and cracked and symptoms have only just started showing.

Sigma

Member +
What spec are you looking for?

If I was rebuilding mine, I'd be straight to the Toyota dealers for a proper one.

Auto EP82

Lifer
got bout 170 BHP at the mo getting hybrid soon but replaced head gasket in december and dont want to keep replacing it so mite aswell get an uprated 1.

Elaine

Lifer
Pete I think this time as long as the car is running ok a OEM HG would be more than enough thats what I replaced mine with and I am running slightly high bhp then you. I just think the Zep is a lot of cost that is not really needed..

Auto EP82

Lifer
rite 1.2mm zep racing gasket and head bolts ordered just need to get oil filter and other gaskets from toyota.Elaine does toyota stock these other gaskets?

Elaine

Lifer
Not likely but they can get them in just a few days the full kit is about £112 as it comes with the standard HG, oil filter is about £10 I think again they can get in a couple of days.

Give me a sec a and I will get the part numbers for you

danturbo4311

Member +
Have you taken off the intake manifold or played with any pipes behind it as the intake manifold gasket has the hole in it for the coolant perhaps its getting in through there. Dont forget to check the block is flat to sometimes they can warp. It just sounds a bit odd that you replaced it in december and its blown already even if its a standard part unless you were running big power (i.e. a different turbo but your not)

sx_turbo

Lifer
Not likely but they can get them in just a few days the full kit is about £112 as it comes with the standard HG, oil filter is about £10 I think again they can get in a couple of days.

Give me a sec a and I will get the part numbers for you

£10 for an oil filter??????????????

jesus, talk about daylight robbery, i trade them out at £1.90 + vat

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
When my head cracked (it cracked around when the exhaust mani meets the head) it sounded like I had a dolphin under the bonnet! lol

Head gasket kit for 4efte: 04112-11092 (includes every item needed when head is removed such as Main head gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets,all seals, valve stem seals, rocker cover gasket etc).
Oil Filter : 90915-10003