Ct9 Hybrid

thechomper

Member +
with your set up ,it would be a simple bolt on with hybrid,just need a better mani,did you keep your front mount in the end, you also would need to sort fueling if you were upping the boost to 1 bar on hybrid with fpr or safc,i have been thinking long and hard about this myself,dont really want to go over 200bhp ,so might go hybrid ,but if anything goes wrong there is F**k all places to rebuild in Ireland,and it would cost a fortune if you could find someone,im finding it hard to choose myself,as td04 are cheaper and easier to find

Last edited:

GT*star

Fresh Recruit
cheers lads

yeh i still have the front mount chomper....

see the thing wit the tdo4 is, no matter what ya do you will NEVER be finished with it, somethings always gonna go wrong wit it and there is so much involved

i plan on new exhaust and mani anyway

thechomper

Member +
my only problem with a hybrid ,is the lack of turbo builders in Ireland and the rip of prices ,if you find one,the turbo is going to need a rebuild at some stage of its life,thats the only thing putting me of ,but i would rather a hybrid,as 200bhp is the figure i'm aiming for,and think it would be less stress on the engine ,as i have no interest in forging my engine ,cant afford it with the nipper and another one the way

MJA

Member +
i was also wondering that

i know for a fact Monkfish is running around 180 bhp on a CT9 B at 1 bar!

jamesbaa

Member +
I think the problem with hybrids is the actuall turbo price, how much is a desent hybrid around £500ish, a low mileage TD04 is only around the £100 mark. i dont think theirs much diffrence in the overall price to get them both up and running is there. And the Td04 has got alot more power potential over the CT9 hybrid!!!

Elaine

Lifer
i was also wondering that

i know for a fact Monkfish is running around 180 bhp on a CT9 B at 1 bar!

running 170-180 at 1 bar is normal for a standard CT9

If you have a Hybrid and get its mapped I thought you could get about 220 same as TD04??

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah a hybrid set to 1.2 bar is good for around 220hp mark, possibly more, the hybrid is more for people who want the fast spool up times, the td04 is also good for spool up but less so than a hybrid. also a hybrid is good for those who want to keep a/c like me.

king_stu

Member +
I'm heading down the hybrid route. Would you suffer from boost creep as you have to relocate the air filter straight off the turbo housing?

TurboDave

Member +
You cant just say hybrid and say what bhp it will make because there are so may possible variations and specs.

You wont necessarily get boost creep with the filter re-located to the front, slight porting of the wastegate may help.

TurboDave

Member +
There are so many variations like, compressor wheel design and size both inducer and exducer, turbine wheel size, design, amount of fins on both comressor and turbine wheel, whether the wheel is cut back, whether the turbo is still using both CT9 housings and much more.

Hybrid is a very open term

Dave

Last edited:

Dave.

Member +
^exactly, hybrid turbo just means two or more turbos taken apart and put together to give one better turbo

Elaine

Lifer
I had no idea there was so much involved or what the term really ment

Thanks lads :D

But the next question is how do you chose which Hybrid design to go for??

Toplap

Lifer
What exactly is the "standered" or advertised CT9 Hybrid composed of? we dont even have the CT9 here in the states, but i can find one if needed. I'd like to upgrade my stocker/4e sometime soon. Is it a CT12/9 mix of something else alltogether. I'd like t know because there are hundreds of turbo/diesel shops around here that specialize in such work and if i could make my own unit instead of paying retarded shipping prices to the states i'd like to

TurboDave

Member +
The ct12 internals may not fit in the CT9 housing. A typical hybrid has a bored comrpessor housing with a larger compressor wheel and depending on application a cut back on the turbine wheel.

Dave

Toplap

Lifer
would the CT12 compressor wheel fit if the stock CT9 housing is bored? and what does the term "cut back" refer to? thanks