Did you ever crash your Glanza? How was it safety wise? Any pics?

Paul_JJ

Member +
I mean for most of the new cars you can see safety features.

I'm a safe driver, but I'm more concerned about someone else driving in to me -) and it's just 1.3 with under a ton weight, so did anyone ever experienced/heard of a crash?

Thanks!

Paul

P.S. Should be an interesting thread!

lis_wed

Fresh Recruit
I had a nasty crash in my previous glanza. Neither me nor the passenger where hurt, but the car was a total loss :(

blitzep82

Member +
i wrapped my last ep into a lampost, lost the back end somehow :confused: still confused how i did it lol, we were both fine, just bent the chassis lol

dark_knight

Member +
my story

@lis_wed: please give us more detail of what happened in your case.. :|

i've never really crashed my glanza - well, i wouldn't call it an accident, it was more of an incident. and also, it's not the one i have now (p-sport). my previous n/a had these massive chunky tires (that i learned the hard way) that were worse-than-worse in the wet, even just a little moisture on the road would make it a total maniac. was doing about 45kmph on a smooth stretch after a slight drizzle heading to drop a mate off at home. some fool came speeding from behind me and i think he lost his lane coz he was coming right at me from the rear. i swerved out of the way onto the center divider that was all mud with some grass tryna grow on there.. :) lost the back end and broke my radiator as i went over the kerb. engine didn't die and only dented one of the rims slightly since i wasn't going that fast. i got right out and tried to chase the fool but my temp gauge was quickly rising so i figured out my rad was gone. stopped by a gas station and bought water to keep topping up as i limped it home.. :(

if i'm not wrong, i think the glanza is a 2- or 3-star rated car on the crash safety tests. i wouldn't wanna find out though so i try to drive safe, esp in cases where i might loose my tail..

*Zoe*

Member +
Hmm bit of a scary thread, i drive within the limits round town and never had a crash in my starlet. Any one know anything about EP82 safty? while were on the subject :p

dark_knight

Member +
Hmm bit of a scary thread, i drive within the limits round town and never had a crash in my starlet. Any one know anything about EP82 safty? while were on the subject :p

it gives you food for thought before you put your foot down doesn't it *Zoe*..? :)
i'd reckon ep82 safety rating is slightly worse than ep91 coz of the age difference and safety packaging like extra passenger airbags etc in the ep91, since it's a later model of the family..?

Galen

Lifer
I was stopped on the road in my first Glanza, waiting to turn right. A carina with a cattle trailer drove straight into the back of the car. Quarter panels and boot floor were all crushed in but we were'nt hurt, the cabin stayed pretty much perfect after that sort of impact.

Jay

Admin
I've seen my fair share of twisted ones due to the amount of breaking I have done over the years.

In most frontal impacts the chassis legs take the energy and distribute it into the bodyshell. Not uncommon for the roof to deform in heavy collisions but it's quite rare for the cabin to be affected.

If an EP takes a scelp up the backside the rear panel and boot floor usually bend. It's sometimes hard to spot but once the rear bumper is removed it's easy to see any damage. Watch for this type of damage when viewing a potential purchase, I've seen quite a few 'mint' EP's with rear end damage.

This is true for both EP8# and EP9# although Toyota went all safety conscious with the launch of the EP9#. You will find plenty of additional bracing on a Glanza to offer more protection in a crash situation. If you are planning on crashing a Starlet I'd advise you make sure it's a Glanza lol..

Naturally no-one can predict the factors and probabilities involved in every senario. I have seen some scary sights and would ask everyone to drive within their ability and road conditions. Here follows a 'worst case' senario where a combination of bad factors result in carnage.

Hopefully the following pics might reduce your speed and make you think before making a rash move:

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture016.jpg

This was not a normal crash so don't brick yourself and immediately sell up. The car took multiple impacts before coming to rest, the speed and angles involved would be hard to replicate. For those interested, one dead and four badly injured.

Please keep it sensible on the roads folks, a little respect is all it takes.

Jay

AdamB

Member +
Ouch Jay that looks bad!
I would never have thought the EP8# would be great on safety, but I would expect a glanza to be on the better side of things, being slightly heavier, extra airbag and few more crash structures. But I still wouldn't like to find out!

I think theres a time and a place to be risking writing off your car and its certainly not on public roads where others can also be injured, not only would you be putting your life at risk, but others as well. It doesn't take much to have an accident, only a slight lapse in concentration, I've seen it many a time where a car has pulled out infront of another car.

accent_97

Member +
the danger crash i ever seen in my country 3 died in place

[video=youtube;HRThVZAor5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&hl=en-GB&v=HRThVZAor5w[/video]

i crashed a gt in the middle of a town doin 40kmph tops and the bonnet bumper lights and radiator were all badly spwashed. i think gts and glanzas squash easily:(