Dyno results

tom_hunt

Member +
Hello!

I was booked in last Thursday to have my car re-mapped. Couldnt make so Iv been today. Im not to happy to be honest. Iv lost 3bhp and lost some torque aswell.

The results are - 212bhp at the fly

But I thought it would have made more with it having all these new parts

Wiseco Racing Low Compression 74.5mm Pistons
Wiseco Racing Piston Rings/Pins
Scat Forged Conrods with ARP Connecting Bolts
Uprated Metal Head Gasket
New Cambelt/Tensioner/Idler Kit
New OEM Toyota Head Bolts
New OEM Toyota Complete Engine Gasket Set
New OEM Toyota Oil Seals
New OEM Toyota Water Pump
New OEM Toyota Oil Pump
New OEM Toyota Valve Stem Seals
Crank Reground With New Bearings
New Mainend Bearings/Shells
Full Bottom End Rebuild
Port & Polished
Block Professionally Rebored/Honed
Head Stripped/Cleaned/Re-Shimmed
Re-Profiled Cams 254/254 with 7.8mm of lift

I thought with having the re-profiled cams it would have made abit more torque and more bhp.

I spoke to the guy who mapped the car and he said alot of new engines release more power on there own some times after they have done around 2/4 thousand miles. I dont no how true that is though.

Bit pissed off to be honest. I its only a little loss but I didnt exspect to pay all the money out for the new engine not gain anything.

Any thoughts?

Tom

TurboDave

Member +
Hello!

I was booked in last Thursday to have my car re-mapped. Couldnt make so Iv been today. Im not to happy to be honest. Iv lost 3bhp and lost some torque aswell.

The results are - 212bhp at the fly

But I thought it would have made more with it having all these new parts

Wiseco Racing Low Compression 74.5mm Pistons
Wiseco Racing Piston Rings/Pins
Scat Forged Conrods with ARP Connecting Bolts
Uprated Metal Head Gasket
New Cambelt/Tensioner/Idler Kit
New OEM Toyota Head Bolts
New OEM Toyota Complete Engine Gasket Set
New OEM Toyota Oil Seals
New OEM Toyota Water Pump
New OEM Toyota Oil Pump
New OEM Toyota Valve Stem Seals
Crank Reground With New Bearings
New Mainend Bearings/Shells
Full Bottom End Rebuild
Port & Polished
Block Professionally Rebored/Honed
Head Stripped/Cleaned/Re-Shimmed
Re-Profiled Cams 254/254 with 7.8mm of lift

I thought with having the re-profiled cams it would have made abit more torque and more bhp.

I spoke to the guy who mapped the car and he said alot of new engines release more power on there own some times after they have done around 2/4 thousand miles. I dont no how true that is though.

Bit pissed off to be honest. I its only a little loss but I didnt exspect to pay all the money out for the new engine not gain anything.

Any thoughts?

Tom

The money you have spent though has not really been on peformance adding parts the engine etc will make it safer to run more boost etc but if it was a healthy engine when it was on the rollers last then having it forged wont really add any power.

What I would suggest you do it get your old graph and superimopose it over the new RR graph this will show you where you power is being made differently on your new setup, ie you may now have more mid range power due to the cams but the same peakpower.

Was it RR'd on the same rollers as when it made more power?

What is your compression ratio?

The air temperatures are important also you will make more BHP on a cold winters day than a hot summers day if we ever have any!

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well its a fact an engine needs to "loosen" itself up to generate more power.. u need to run at least 1.2bar of boost m8. cams dont jsut give more power on their own, they just shift the powerband up... try revving it more & giving more boost & ull see where the cams will help ;)

dont forget uv gone low cr... u need waaay more boost to compensate for the drop in cr ;) ur much safer, but need more boost to get things going :D

nice result never the less!

kon

tom_hunt

Member +
I might ring him up to see if he can sort me out for 1.2bar

I was thinking of saving for maybe a K24 kit if I can find one and maybe turn the boost right up :)

The delivery is pretty much the same. He took me through all that. He just kept saying "dont worry it will free its own power within time". It was done on the same rollers.

I always thought if you have bigger pistons it gave out abit more power? I watched a video on youtube of a guy doing an engine and he was saying if you bore out by .5mm with new pistons youll see a little more power.

I will get the graphs up tonight so you can have alook. Im not really complaining to be honest just a bit pissed off lol It pulls alot better than last time I must say. Bit more laggyer though I think. Maybe just me lol.

Tom

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
u have wider pistons, & ur cr is lower thus yes technically u are increasing the cc's .. however since u have lowered the cr, uv made the engine safer yet more lazy.. low cr applications need more boost to get power out of the engine, yet with much less stress!

the cr would affect lag as well ;)

kon

TurboDave

Member +
The lag will be due to the comp ratio mate, whack the boost up.

I have 75mm pistons so +1mm and when I worked it out from bore and stroke my new cc is in the region of 1380cc so a gain of around 50cc's not a lot but every little helps :).

When you look at your old graph and your new graph you will see that you have more power under the peak curve now than you did before and thats why it is faster :)

tom_hunt

Member +
When you look at your old graph and your new graph you will see that you have more power under the peak curve now than you did before and thats why it is faster :)

Yeh after looking at the graphs that makes sense.

Think I will see about turning up to 1.2bar :)

The power is right up to 7k sumet rpm and the power delivery gets rather agressive towards top end of the rev range.

I will just give the guy a ring when I get five mins to see if he can sort me out for 1.2bar!!

Cheers for the input guys!

Tom

tom_hunt

Member +
Iv just send an E-mail out to the guys that did my car saying that I was abit consernd about the power loss and that I exspected more blah blah. I said would fitting 315cc injectors and uping the boost to 1.2bar and this was my reply.

"Hi Tom
When we had your car on the rollers last we found that you were producing less power than before but you had more mods than the last engine.This is a little strange . You may get a bit more lag with the cams but to be honest the overall result should be a quicker car. I feel we need to be looking at the reason why the car isnt producing more power now than last time rather than looking at bigger injectors and more boost as i feel we are overlooking a potential issue.If the cams are timed incorrectly or they are the wrong spec for your application this may be a factor. To be honest we need to start from the bottom and work up rather than start half way and miss something crucial.We cant alter the mapping any more to regain the power at the point you are now so there must be a fundamental issue causing the lack of power . If we dont bottom the reasons at this stage we will always found the car is running far lower power than it should do at all future levels.We need to make sure the base line is correct .

Let me know your feelings on this . Could you mail me a full spec list for the engine and we can begin to look into potential routes.

Regards MIke"

What do you guys think? Should I go with what he is saying or leave it and go else where? lol

Tom

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
I take it you made more power on stock internals yeah? this is due to your now running low compression pistons, so your comp ratio will be far lower than original, meaning you will create less power at lower boost levels but they will allow you to run massive boost levels.

Tbh i wouldn't be worried with that mate, allow the engine a couple thousand miles to loosen off and get it mapped again at a higher boost level and as kon said maybe try raising the rev limiter as well.

~Nick

tom_hunt

Member +
I take it you made more power on stock internals yeah? this is due to your now running low compression pistons, so your comp ratio will be far lower than original, meaning you will create less power at lower boost levels but they will allow you to run massive boost levels.

Tbh i wouldn't be worried with that mate, allow the engine a couple thousand miles to loosen off and get it mapped again at a higher boost level and as kon said maybe try raising the rev limiter as well.

~Nick

Yeah think thats what Im going to do. Iv just got off the phone to the garage he wants me to come in and have the timing checked on the new cams to make sure there all ok. But I havnt got time to keep travleing 45/50 miles just for little checks.

Tom

tom_hunt

Member +
Im really pissed off now!! My cars not even hitting full boost in any gear!!!
Think Im going to have to go back and get this sorted. Its starting to piss me right off.

Tom

sx_turbo

Lifer
oh very very very dear.

check the timing, and if you really trust your tuner, let them look at it.

also who built your engine?

tom_hunt

Member +
oh very very very dear.

check the timing, and if you really trust your tuner, let them look at it.

also who built your engine?

Yo!

ToyTuning built my engine.

The garage want me to go back to have the timing checked. I duno if I do trust the tuner anymore. Last few tiems Iv bin its asif he carnt be botherd and just rushes everythin. Think I might just bite the bullet and go to Engine Advantages and pay for a new map. Only problem is is that there about 120 miles away from me maybe more.

Tom

sx_turbo

Lifer
to be fair dude you will get the same kind of service from engine advantages.

i would speak to toby first, and see what he suggests, it is very very strange.

if the timing is out it will really struggle to idle

tom_hunt

Member +
to be fair dude you will get the same kind of service from engine advantages.

i would speak to toby first, and see what he suggests, it is very very strange.

if the timing is out it will really struggle to idle

On idle it sits revving it self but it dont seem like its struggling. I will see what Toby thinks like you have said.

Cheers

Tom