Engine noise. help ahhh

lingl9z

Member +
Now i know the injector ticking makes a noise but this sound im getting seems a little too loud for injectors, take a look at this clip and makesure ur volumes not up too loud as its noisy! theres normal engine noise but you'll hear the noise as its revv'd

Help me please please :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
its very hard to tell. could be a misfire, could be something knocking. im unsure from that clip im afraid :(

does it run and drive ok? what does it sound like in the car?

lingl9z

Member +
It drives fine tbh notice no diff to usual, if the windows down i can hear it, kinda sounds like... an old fiesta's tappets? but i have no idea what knocking sounds like so i cant say :(

billybob

Untrusted Seller
is there knocking in the engine very hard to tell with the video did you do a compression test yet

dac69er

Super Moderator
is it a sudden thing or has it gradually got worse? if its been gradual you may need to re-do your valve clearances.

it may also be a more major problem. take the cam cover off and have a look. if you have a decent camera take a pic with the cover off and post on here.

lingl9z

Member +
is it a sudden thing or has it gradually got worse? if its been gradual you may need to re-do your valve clearances.

it may also be a more major problem. take the cam cover off and have a look. if you have a decent camera take a pic with the cover off and post on here.

Hmm well it seem'd to do the noise at start up before hand for a few sec's but now it seems to be there more often, no idea if its because i never noticed it before like having windows up or what ever + i havnt driven the car in a while just had head gasket done?

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be your oil pump on its last legs if it used to do it on start up and then was ok. does your oil pressure switch work? does the light come on then go off when you start the car?

could be many things

billybob

Untrusted Seller
if it is that rattle cams it wount harm the engine just have a look when you take the cover off

lingl9z

Member +
could be your oil pump on its last legs if it used to do it on start up and then was ok. does your oil pressure switch work? does the light come on then go off when you start the car?

could be many things

Hmm i don't think the oil light works (if its the center light on mk1 cluster) ? oil pressure switch?

if it is that rattle cams it wount harm the engine just have a look when you take the cover off

Yeah guess i could have a look but im worried not gonna drive the car now :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
if that light isnt working the previous owner may have removed it to hide a problem.

turn the ignition on, if the light isnt on then remove the connector off it (its a little bit fiddly) and touch it on the engine somewhere, that should turn the light on, if it does the oil switch is knackered. if it doesnt then the bulb may have been removed, the wire may be damaged somewhere or the sensor could be knackered.

sort that first as that could well be the cause of your problems

lingl9z

Member +
if that light isnt working the previous owner may have removed it to hide a problem.

turn the ignition on, if the light isnt on then remove the connector off it (its a little bit fiddly) and touch it on the engine somewhere, that should turn the light on, if it does the oil switch is knackered. if it doesnt then the bulb may have been removed, the wire may be damaged somewhere or the sensor could be knackered.

sort that first as that could well be the cause of your problems

So take the cluster out and remove connector going to the light? any pics im really poor will stuff to do with the dash :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
no no no. first just remove the connector off the sensor. its to the left of the clutch slave cylinder, it just slides off. then do the check like i said and see what happens. if the light doesnt work then remove the dash cluster and check to see if the bulb is in there, swap it for another one that works to make sure.

lingl9z

Member +
I see so under the bonnet next to the clutch master cylinder is a sensor with a with a connect that will slide off, connect that to somehwere on the engine? i take it ignition needs to be on aswell? and that should light the oil light, if it doesnt llight then the bulb may be blown/missing or the switch could be broken? how does this all tie in to the noise? I'm tired and confusing my self.

dac69er

Super Moderator
basically. yes. you just need to touch the connector on something metal that is grounded to the battery - terminal, anywhere on the engine usually does fine.

checking the oil light may point you in the direction of what the problem could be. it may just need a new bulb. replace that and start the car and if the light goes out after a second or so afeter starting then all should be fine with the oil pump.

its a problem so may as well sort it, then move on

lingl9z

Member +
basically. yes. you just need to touch the connector on something metal that is grounded to the battery - terminal, anywhere on the engine usually does fine.

checking the oil light may point you in the direction of what the problem could be. it may just need a new bulb. replace that and start the car and if the light goes out after a second or so afeter starting then all should be fine with the oil pump.

its a problem so may as well sort it, then move on

okay cheers matey, so the oil pump could be making the noise, is there any chance it could be big ends? =( i worry because ive no luck with this car !