few Questions

Car has been running ok recently but is now starting to play up

The fan comes on alot,this never used to happen

so i dont know whats causing this

When ever i open the car up i can smell oil through the vents,the engine is bone dry on topp etc

There seems so be little drips of oil comming from the front drivers side of the car,looked everywhere i cant see where its comming from,ive tighten the sump bolts etc

its really pissing me off now

sx_turbo

Lifer
is the oil filter seal ok?

could be the front main oilseal.

or could be any of the gaskets on that side of the engine.

also today my car has done 22 miles to £10

thats stupied

i havnt been over 3k revs,havnt booted it or nothing

there must be something wrong

Jay

Admin
Any starting problems recently? Would put me in mind of a temp sender reading wrong.

The oil doesn't sound related - wash off as much as you can and let it dry. Then run the car and see if you can locate the source of the leak from below.

hey mate,no no problems starting at all

I washed the engine down and layed underneth it,it seems to be comming from the passenger side of the sump,then running along hte side of the box and down,put all sum bolts are tight

sx_turbo

Lifer
there is no gasket as such on the sump.

its just some instant gasket and it may not have sealed correctly

yea mate i know there isnt a sump gasket,i think when i get time ill reseal the sump,then take it from there

its only a lillte oil leak,few drips now and again

Also when i give the car some stick there is a burning smell comming from the back on the engine,it could be just heat

the car is now is on pistonheads now,it will be sad to see it go but its been an expensive few motnhs

Got a qestion for you

just gave the car a bit of beans

As i stopped in the car park smoke comming through vents and from the front of the car

turn enigne off and poped bonnet,very little smoke

Cant see anything visible at all

Craig_GT

Lifer
Got a qestion for you

just gave the car a bit of beans

As i stopped in the car park smoke comming through vents and from the front of the car

turn enigne off and poped bonnet,very little smoke

Cant see anything visible at all

Prob shouldnt have gave it beans mate-its merely farting which explains the "smoke" you see.. :p jk lol

on a more serious note it defo sounds like its leaking oil somewhere and its burning in your engine bay hence the smoke etc when you have been "giving it beans"
are you loosing boost at all by any chance?

Craig_GT

Lifer
can you get pics up of where you think the oil is coming from?

best thing to do is give the bay a real scrub.. let the car tick over once youv done this and c if you can c where the oil is coming from..

i had a small amount of oil burning on my manifold before and it was comin from my efi pipe/breather causing smoke when i was driving hard..

:gt-smilie:
can you get pics up of where you think the oil is coming from?

best thing to do is give the bay a real scrub.. let the car tick over once youv done this and c if you can c where the oil is coming from..

i had a small amount of oil burning on my manifold before and it was comin from my efi pipe/breather causing smoke when i was driving hard..

and you know when you say the EFI pipe i thought it was only air that went through there,rather than oil

Craig_GT

Lifer
as suggested above mate give it a clean and use some sealant.. ifs its still leakiing after that it may be something above the sump and its just running down the sump due to earths friend "gravity"..

Craig_GT

Lifer
:gt-smilie:

and you know when you say the EFI pipe i thought it was only air that went through there,rather than oil

there is the breather that goes from the rocker cover to the efi pipe so a small amount of oil is expected :p
i dont have an efi pipe anymore anyways.. i removed it cos it was split slightly and i relocated my filter to front bumper.

Jay

Admin
If it's leaking as you say it is I'd put money on either a seeping sump gasket or the crankshaft oil seal at the flywheel end has started leaking.

The burning you are getting could be down to the oil landing on your exhaust and burning off but check around the engine bay for any other signs before dismissing it as this.

How much oil is it using?

If it's leaking as you say it is I'd put money on either a seeping sump gasket or the crankshaft oil seal at the flywheel end has started leaking.

The burning you are getting could be down to the oil landing on your exhaust and burning off but check around the engine bay for any other signs before dismissing it as this.

How much oil is it using?

cheers for that mate

the oil level as hardly moved in two weeks

to not using any really,the oil that ive noticed under the car is a little drip now and again(thats when the car is idling)