FMIC - Recommendations?

southwalesgt

Member +
Hi guys, I have a 1993 GT with air con removed. (Wish I hadnt cos of this weather but hey - never needed a/c before now so)

Im getting serious heat 'wafting' out of the bonnet vent and I dont think the standard TMIC is cooling very well. Im in the process of buying an air filter relocation kit to run the filter behind the front grille and a FMIC kit, but had a few questions before I order:-

1) Will the air filter relocation piping or filter foul the piping on a FMIC kit?

2) What kits, both Filter kit and TMIC, would you recommend?

3) Other than better cooling, what sort of bhp gains should I expect to see after fitting? My GT engine is standard apart from having a polished and ported head and dump valve.

4) Will I HAVE to buy any other mods straight away for the engine to run smoothly? I.e. "You must have an uprated....in order for it to work"

Oh and I dont want to spend more than £350 for the two items really. Credit crunch n all that :mad:

Cheers for any help,

Ian

taylor_88

Member +
HDI kits are lovely bits of kit mate very good price and look the part dane at sps sells them excellent price and great person to deal with

Blak_Mamber

Member +
1) Will the air filter relocation piping or filter foul the piping on a FMIC kit?

Depends what kit you get mate. Different kits use different piping routes. I have relocated my HKS skyline filter to the front bumper & sits next to the FMIC. I still have air con aswell :)

2) What kits, both Filter kit and TMIC, would you recommend?

Apexi, power enterprise are meant to be very good if your relocating behind the rad.

FMIC - On your budget, i would get a japspeed FMIC, i cant fault mine at all. Had it for a year or so & has never let me down.

3) Other than better cooling, what sort of bhp gains should I expect to see after fitting? My GT engine is standard apart from having a polished and ported head and dump valve.

quicker spooling with relocated filter & louder, & just better temps & maybe slightly better pull with the FMIC.

4) Will I HAVE to buy any other mods straight away for the engine to run smoothly? I.e. "You must have an uprated....in order for it to work"

Nope.

:)

madman

Member +
if it was me id go hdi but alot of choppin is required to the bumper id say the wepr would be best and is top quality aswell.. but its personal choice at the end of the day and the HDI one will have less of a wait

southwalesgt

Member +
Think i'll go for the HDi FMIC, maybe make my own relocation kit with a small filter from halfrauds or ebay. That way I can fit the FMIC, THEN make up the kit to ensure it wont foul on the piping.

People have said the bumper will need to be cut to get it to fit so guess im gonna have to get the dremmel out!

cheers guys

Beaker

Member +
If you are running a CT9 at anything up to 1bar then a front mount cooler is only really for show. A RX7 topmount would be fine and a lot cheaper. Also the HDi cooler means loads of chopping to the front bumper, just have a search and see that some people have had a bit of a job fitting them. The wepr kit might be a bit more money but it would be my preffered kit.
I made my own front mount filter kit, have a look here http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44601

buy a blitz front mount like mee! there £900 new but you can get them quite cheap second hand. watch for boost creep when putting your air filter to the front. i did it ran really lean and 4th piston melted as it was not getting enough fuel and too much air. just think modification isnt always the best when lookinbg for reliability. If you have £1000 for a new engine if it does go bang then thats ok but seeing you dont want to spend over £300 for both i would sya you havent lol.

Jusat saying whats happened to me,

alex

Buy a JAM one like mine its huge:haha: There isnt much chopped out of my bumper think people chop too much to be honest. Maybe the Japs know how to fit them correctly:haha:
Christy

y3Lo

Member +
WEPR is a great kit mate, ask for the shortened pipe, then you can clock your turbo and make the piping MUCH shorter, you wont have any issues with front mounting the filter either.

southwalesgt

Member +
buy a blitz front mount like mee! there £900 new but you can get them quite cheap second hand. watch for boost creep when putting your air filter to the front. i did it ran really lean and 4th piston melted as it was not getting enough fuel and too much air. just think modification isnt always the best when lookinbg for reliability. If you have £1000 for a new engine if it does go bang then thats ok but seeing you dont want to spend over £300 for both i would sya you havent lol.

Jusat saying whats happened to me,

alex

Ok now im worried. Are you saying that by relocating the filter to the front I increase the chance of detonation?! Fuck that, only just had the bugger rebuilt! :(

What if i heat wrap the air pipes from turbo to air filter but replace standard box with a HKS 'shroom or something?

munday

Member +
Ok now im worried. Are you saying that by relocating the filter to the front I increase the chance of detonation?! Fuck that, only just had the bugger rebuilt! :(

What if i heat wrap the air pipes from turbo to air filter but replace standard box with a HKS 'shroom or something?

As long as your running under fuel cut then you wont be running lean, and the fmic will reduce the chances of det.

Beaker: I wouldnt say the fmic is just for show, the most important part of intercooling a petrol engine is that the core acts as a heatsink, absorbing the heat when on boost and then distributing it into the surrounding air and also into the inlet.

The FMIC is much better at achieving this, so less heat spikes n(which is the most important thing) and much less heat soak.

Fatman

Member +
If you are running a CT9 at anything up to 1bar then a front mount cooler is only really for show.

My experience drag racing says otherwise, heat soak on a top mount is worth serious power. The HDI kit provides a noticable increase in power after an extended drive, IAT's are significantly lower.

Hot top mount vs cold top mount was worth 4km/h trap speed on a bog standard GT running standard boost.

sx_turbo

Lifer
for an ep82 and from experiance the autobahn seems the best all rounder.

from what i have heard the wepr fmic is the best overall.

hdi is awkward to fit on ep82,

Idrees

Banned
WEPR coolers are really nice, perfect for the GT. I have one here and it looks ace. Pricey though.

Monkfish

Member +
I have an XSPower cooler which is stupidly efficient, although the length of the piping makes it a touch laggy.

If you are running a CT9 at anything up to 1bar then a front mount cooler is only really for show. A RX7 topmount would be fine and a lot cheaper.
Not really just for show, FMICs don't suffer heat soak like TMICs do. TMIC's also aren't as efficient as FMICs as they are often thinner and not in the direct flow of air. They are a shitload less laggy though, which is an advantage.

y3Lo

Member +
i noticed no lag increase what so ever when i fitted my WEPR FMIC, could see your point on some of the other kits though with long pipe routes