Forged Piston to use with Godzilla!

glanza2281

Member +
Hello mates,

according to you when going forged 4e to use godzilla turbo kit, which piston type is most suitable? flat or dished? or what compression ratio would achieve best results?

How about the size of the Head gasket?

The turbo seems quite big...since i dont want to lag much on low end should i increase or decrease the CR? Ideally I would like to achive a steady power though all the revs.

Since those parts are not cheap better get the right one.

Thanks

Last edited:

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
Are you going 5e or 4e ?
It would be best to go 5e to reduce lag ect pistion wise best to ask wicked ep

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
decrease compression ratio slightly so you make it safer running more boost. with flat top pistons, the CR will be too high to run big boost, and with a turbo that big you need to run over 1.2bar in my opinion to be within th turbo efficiency range. Otherwise it will just make power on a dyno but it wont be practical at all on the road.
sacrificing a little CR for more boost will pay off at the end, hold the engine together safer (especially if you have stock 9mm head bolts) and compensate for the lag

sx_turbo

Lifer
a 10cc dish piston, and would probably need a head gasket at least 1.4mm thick, but you will probably need more

dantheman

Member +
lol if you dont want much lag then you dont go putting a turbo that big on your motor.. :confused: running a turbo that size will have to run a fair bit of boost to have it work properly, so you want a low'ish CR. dished pistons would be the way to go. just dont use a very thick head gasket, 1.2/1.4mm will be fine.

KrissyB

Member +
Hello mates,

according to you when going forged 4e to use godzilla turbo kit, which piston type is most suitable? flat or dished? or what compression ratio would achieve best results?

How about the size of the Head gasket?

The turbo seems quite big...since i dont want to lag much on low end should i increase or decrease the CR? Ideally I would like to achive a steady power though all the revs.

Since those parts are not cheap better get the right one.

Thanks

You ordered the kit yet fella.

You might want to think about working out your CR ratios and have bit of a research before going down this route.

Your going to need good management aswell amoung a host of many other things.

There are alot of alternatives very good alternatives too

glanza2281

Member +
You ordered the kit yet fella.

You might want to think about working out your CR ratios and have bit of a research before going down this route.

Your going to need good management aswell amoung a host of many other things.

There are alot of alternatives very good alternatives too

Yes mate I already have the turbo in hand. In fact a friend of mine bought it in hong kong for a client but the client didnt take it, so i got it for a good price.

I already have emanage runing and now would fo forge before using this setup. However not sure what mod I should bring to the engine. cam, head, valves, springs, LSD, lightweight flywheel. would that suffice?

glanza2281

Member +
lol if you dont want much lag then you dont go putting a turbo that big on your motor.. :confused: running a turbo that size will have to run a fair bit of boost to have it work properly, so you want a low'ish CR. dished pistons would be the way to go. just dont use a very thick head gasket, 1.2/1.4mm will be fine.

mate i dnt really get you here....since my objective would be to reduce the compression ratio, using a thicker HG wouldnt increase the volume of air when the piston is at the top? hence providing more space for the air fuel mixture?

The concept of having thicker HG to reduce CR is true or not??

glanza2281

Member +
decrease compression ratio slightly so you make it safer running more boost. with flat top pistons, the CR will be too high to run big boost, and with a turbo that big you need to run over 1.2bar in my opinion to be within th turbo efficiency range. Otherwise it will just make power on a dyno but it wont be practical at all on the road.
sacrificing a little CR for more boost will pay off at the end, hold the engine together safer (especially if you have stock 9mm head bolts) and compensate for the lag

Man you making me worried now! I thought with the necessary mods I will be able to use this kit without much lag.

Phil

Super Moderator
10cc dish and 1.2mm metal hg maybe 1.4mm

good forged pistons and rods, slightly more lairy cams than stock with a half decent port and polished head, stronger valve springs and a higher rev limit at about 9k rpm, to give yourself a more usuable power band when you finally do get on boost. :) oh and dont forget about 1.8/2bar of boost.

that would be my ideal setup. lol but scary as, at the same time.

Phil

dantheman

Member +
mate i dnt really get you here....since my objective would be to reduce the compression ratio, using a thicker HG wouldnt increase the volume of air when the piston is at the top? hence providing more space for the air fuel mixture?

The concept of having thicker HG to reduce CR is true or not??

what im saying is you dont wanna to get the lowest cr pistons AND use a thick head gasket..

also if your going to put this turbo on a 4e you will most definantly need cams and probably some head work, otherwise you will be drawing air in much quicker than the engine can injest.. and you will then get surging issues.

if you read the advert for that turbo it says something about it being for drag use.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
you will need more than an Emanage

sorry but thats bullshit lol.. im running 22psi on a greddy 18g which is a 400bhp turbo.. its more than fine for any setup.. as long as u stay within the 400% over stock limitations of the emanage.. which so far iv only seen 1 supra go over..

& all this talk about lag is really getting to me...

what do u understand by lag? if ur talking about innitial spoolup then yes ull have boost by around 4800~5000rpms.. but during gear changes i dont really see anybody drop below 6000rpms.. so technically u wont EVER have lag between gears.. if then u let the revs drop less than that :

a.) take driving lessons
b.) are u racing or cruising?

as keith said go for slightly dished pistons NOT flat top ie.. go for around 10cc dished pistons (over stock not including stock 3cc) & get a 1.2mm hg NOT more or ur cr will go so low it will give u a very lazy engine.. with 10cc pistons & a 1.2mm hg if built correctly ur engine can hold 30psi easy.. which i doubt ull ever need to use the full potential of.. but yes as was said above the bigger the turbo & the lower the cr the more boost ull need to reach the required CFM of your engine.. its not as simple as poting + polishing + choosing a set of pistons.... alot more goes into it.. oh most importantly the 5e is not needed.. it never is really.. just a simple way ppl choose to get more power, more easily ;)

kon

KrissyB

Member +
what im saying is you dont wanna to get the lowest cr pistons AND use a thick head gasket..

also if your going to put this turbo on a 4e you will most definantly need cams and probably some head work, otherwise you will be drawing air in much quicker than the engine can injest.. and you will then get surging issues.

if you read the advert for that turbo it says something about it being for drag use.

As above fella this Turbo is really a 5e only kit to be fair and even with the 5e it needs a careful consideration and thought.

Cams and Headwork are a must but also some trick managment to bring it all together.

KrissyB

Member +
sorry but thats bullshit lol.. im running 22psi on a greddy 18g which is a 400bhp turbo.. its more than fine for any setup.. as long as u stay within the 400% over stock limitations of the emanage.. which so far iv only seen 1 supra go over..

& all this talk about lag is really getting to me...

what do u understand by lag? if ur talking about innitial spoolup then yes ull have boost by around 4800~5000rpms.. but during gear changes i dont really see anybody drop below 6000rpms.. so technically u wont EVER have lag between gears.. if then u let the revs drop less than that :

a.) take driving lessons
b.) are u racing or cruising?

as keith said go for slightly dished pistons NOT flat top ie.. go for around 10cc dished pistons (over stock not including stock 3cc) & get a 1.2mm hg NOT more or ur cr will go so low it will give u a very lazy engine.. with 10cc pistons & a 1.2mm hg if built correctly ur engine can hold 30psi easy.. which i doubt ull ever need to use the full potential of.. but yes as was said above the bigger the turbo & the lower the cr the more boost ull need to reach the required CFM of your engine.. its not as simple as poting + polishing + choosing a set of pistons.... alot more goes into it.. oh most importantly the 5e is not needed.. it never is really.. just a simple way ppl choose to get more power, more easily ;)

kon

WOW 22psi dont go too mad;), im talking 2.5bar mate

Love the Bull shit comment too get real grow up its a conversation not an arguement.

5e all the way ;)

HYBRID

WOW 22psi dont go too mad;), im talking 2.5bar mate

Love the Bull shit comment too get real grow up its a conversation not an arguement.

5e all the way ;)

lol... dont get mad get even.. :p 22psi with injectors working out at 87% lol (324cc's yes their too small) i cant boost any further till i get the 460cc's in.. then yeah im going for over 2.2bar by the time im done ;)

(btw im not arguing or having a go just sharing facts & experiances)

seriously, its been proven time & time again that the 5e is really not needed.. if u want all that boost then its clear ur on a drag setup.. so for drag u will NEVER drop under 6k rpms will u? .. think not.. the 5e being a longer stroke engien has more piston travel, hence less rpm capabilities.. also bhp Vs bhp the 4e & 5e almost produce identical amounts.. torque on the other hand is another story, but uv got the displacement..

if i told u we are using turbos here on 4e's running what is called alot of boost that was used to give 400bhp on an rx7 at 1bar lol .. would u believe me? .. in all honesty no, ud say ud have to wait till 6k to get that out of a 4e with no cams or anti lag.. id say i believe what i see.. DO NO make the mistake of under estimating the 4e.. it has alot more potential than many give it..

true maybe the 5e can give a few rpms less.. but on a drag event 4e Vs 5e here in malta (both over 350bhp) 4e wins hands down ;)

kon

KrissyB

Member +
lol... dont get mad get even.. :p 22psi with injectors working out at 87% lol (324cc's yes their too small) i cant boost any further till i get the 460cc's in.. then yeah im going for over 2.2bar by the time im done ;)

(btw im not arguing or having a go just sharing facts & experiances)

seriously, its been proven time & time again that the 5e is really not needed.. if u want all that boost then its clear ur on a drag setup.. so for drag u will NEVER drop under 6k rpms will u? .. think not.. the 5e being a longer stroke engien has more piston travel, hence less rpm capabilities.. also bhp Vs bhp the 4e & 5e almost produce identical amounts.. torque on the other hand is another story, but uv got the displacement..

if i told u we are using turbos here on 4e's running what is called alot of boost that was used to give 400bhp on an rx7 at 1bar lol .. would u believe me? .. in all honesty no, ud say ud have to wait till 6k to get that out of a 4e with no cams or anti lag.. id say i believe what i see.. DO NO make the mistake of under estimating the 4e.. it has alot more potential than many give it..

true maybe the 5e can give a few rpms less.. but on a drag event 4e Vs 5e here in malta (both over 350bhp) 4e wins hands down ;)

kon

Everyones entitled to their opinion if he does indeed go 4e Godzilla it will be very interesting to see the dyno printouts.

Look forward to seeing them.

HYBRID

Everyones entitled to their opinion if he does indeed go 4e Godzilla it will be very interesting to see the dyno printouts.

Look forward to seeing them.

not critising bud.. just sharing my opinion.. but one thing i can assure u... the emu will be more than enough... ;)

one more thing... dyno printouts mean nothing.. get me a time slip, then well talk ;)

kon