Forging for a td05?

wee-jo

Member +
Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered, but I was wondering if it is recommended to forge your engine before running a tdo5 or any turbo bar the ct9 hybrid. Also what boost could run safely on standard internals with the tdo5 in place??

cheers guys

tom_hunt

Member +
Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered, but I was wondering if it is recommended to forge your engine before running a tdo5 or any turbo bar the ct9 hybrid. Also what boost could run safely on standard internals with the tdo5 in place??

cheers guys

Id say get it forged. The TD05 is a big turbo. I dont even think it would be worth putting it on unless you have a forged engine.

Tom

sx_turbo

Lifer
you can run td05 on low boost i would say no more than 0.8bar, (thats my personal view, and may be wrong) on a stocki engine.

to relise its full potential i would highly recomend getting it forged.

tom_hunt

Member +
you can run td05 on low boost i would say no more than 0.8bar, (thats my personal view, and may be wrong) on a stocki engine.

Wouldnt it be a real lag monster though at 0.8 bar?

Tom

sx_turbo

Lifer
Wouldnt it be a real lag monster though at 0.8 bar?

Tom

yeah it would be very pointless, but i was just saying if going to run it on a stock engine thats what i would do.

i would also imagine that 0.8 bar isnt in the turbo's efficiency range

dantheman

Member +
a 1bar bar ct9 would prob be quicker than a 0.8bar td05 until top end.. not worth fitting unless you forge and run it at proper boost ie 1.5bar+

glanza777

Fresh Recruit
before i forge the engine i put the td05 on it. and i passed lots of type-r on 0.8 bar. it has a lag its true but when the boost up its become a crazy machine.. i really liked it..

Fishy89GT

Banned
a 1bar bar ct9 would prob be quicker than a 0.8bar td05 until top end.. not worth fitting unless you forge and run it at proper boost ie 1.5bar+

Yup...but headbolts are an issue around 1.6 bar.

im having to run mine on a standard engine until the forged one is finished...im also not taking it above 0.7/0.8 bar....i shall let you know what the lags like lol....0.8 bar on a td05 aint going to slow though...easily over 200 horse.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Il be commenting on the so called ''Lag on Td05'' shortly :) I very much doubt its going to be as bad as many say. The owner of this one that i have bought the kit from knows best on what you would call ''Lag'' and he suggests 1 bar at approx 4000 rpm which is not bad at all :)

fur

Member +
some of u guys are talking with no experience on the subject matter it would seem
for 1. there are too many td05's to generalise and say it is a laggy turbo
a td05-14b for instance off a vr4 will give full boost very shortly after a td04 but with excellent top end power, then there is a 12a that will spool very similarly to a td04
and fishy, new toyota headbolts don't move at 1.6 bar, that is a joke
we had a fully built 5e making ~300whp on 2 bar from a gt2871 with no reliability issues

Dane_Bristol

Member +
some of u guys are talking with no experience on the subject matter it would seem

hence why i said i wil be commenting once i have the setup. I will have the Greddy TD05 14b so like i sadi i will give me own views once the turbo is fitted and mapped to around 1.3 bar. Should be by the end of the month.

Fishy89GT

Banned
and fishy, new toyota headbolts don't move at 1.6 bar, that is a joke
we had a fully built 5e making ~300whp on 2 bar from a gt2871 with no reliability issues

everyone says that...but considering someone on here who actually builds them for a living has had problems @1.6 bar, im going with what he says, and getting custom ones.

dantheman

Member +
stock head bolts are fine i ran 1.6bar with no probs on them, and in regards to the td05 i am refering to the version found on the later wrx's with the 4 bolt flange.

gedis

Member +
dont know which one is bigger but i run gt3082r at 1.15bar everyday on standart internals(inc headgaskek), very laggy on 1.3 full boost only at 5600-5800rpm but full power only comes in at 7280rpm

fur

Member +
dont know which one is bigger but i run gt3082r at 1.15bar everyday on standart internals(inc headgaskek), very laggy on 1.3 full boost only at 5600-5800rpm but full power only comes in at 7280rpm

that turbo is humongous for a 1300