Glanza feels Slow!!!!!

Jules-B

Member +
hi all!!!
i cant help but thinking that my car is slow!!!
i have a glanza v. 1999...from reading information on other peoples cars with prettz much the same set up have got better times more power etcetc...

at santa pod i ran a 16.2 went over the line at 84.5 mph...twice..exactly the same on a stock engine apart from blitz zorst and air filter.plus hks actuator set at standard boost..

also on a private track that i have access to (pretty much a straight line) i have been beaten by a crx and a shitroen vts!

i know that it is always down to the driver etc..but as a trained rally driver and a motorbike racer i like to think that i can handle the car!!!

now is there certain things that i should start checking for possible reasons or causes for the slowness??

Cheers

Jules

Adam_Glanza

Member +
tbh an exhaust and filter doesnt make a huge power difference, and as your running stock boost your pretty much on stock power!

maybe get it serviced check the plugs etc

Jules-B

Member +
forgot to say...standard boost controller has been bypassed. so im just running on the acuator...

i have recently got a decat pipe put in..feels a bit better..but not much :(

sx_turbo

Lifer
compression test.

mine is running 1 bar boost with the supporting mods except, a manifold and the car feels dog slow, and is no faster than a stock gt, so i know where your coming from, and my compression is spot on and the engine has had a recent standard rebuild.

obviously i'm not happy and think its down to the guy that tuned my car but cant confirm this, so i'm gonna spend another grand on the car for an fmic and other bits.

Jules-B

Member +
hmm i will do a compression test tommorrow then!

if the verdict is bad...ill just forge the fucker and get a td04 maybe td05 kit..

that ought to put a smile on my face:p

dac69er

Super Moderator
my car sometimes feels a bit slow, its odd. its usually after ive reset the ecu or something.
i also find the outside temperature and humidity pays a large part in how well the car performs. in my case a fmic will help that but it will still make a difference, knocks the edge off!

Jules-B

Member +
hmm i will probably get a fmic soon as the old interwarmer cant be doing it any good..

ive been reading around though and seen threads with cracks in the turbo etc...would this make the car slower?

i may take it on the rolling road as it is and see what happens!

dac69er

Super Moderator
the wastegate and the manifold can crack. touch wood though, my turbo has no wastegate cracks and even the stock mani i removed had no cracking!

dac69er

Super Moderator
wastegate crack wouldnt unless it was causing boost issues. as for the manifold crack, mosst of the time it isnt that bad and wont effect it much. generally if you cant hear it, then it will be fine!
take your heatshield off and have a look for a crack on number 3 runner where the water collects on it

Jules-B

Member +
hmm

i think im going to do a full service soon on the bitch.. owned her about a month and a bit and havnt done one yet :O

engine oil
filter
spark plugs
leads
anything else i should do while im at it?

if it all ends up the same..ill just get a td04 i recon...what boost can you run on them with standard internals

Greg0r

Member +
1bar with correct fueling/tuning

id get a fmic and crank the boost up, standard boost aint very impressive at all

Jules-B

Member +
hmm..im running just under fuel cut..so about 0.9 bar....somtimes i get fuel cut..but im putting on a boost contorller soon so ill run just under that..
fmic would make a significant change then?

what would be a good bet after that then?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i cant comment on a fmic myself as i dont have one. i do find that the tmic gets pretty warm when you gun it at higher boost levels. i have an arc unit as well!

Cooch

Member +
Jules you got PM dude. Mines not running about the same 1/4 mile as you too. Get her on the twisty's though and its a different story ;)