going td04

srankin90

Member +
can someone give me a rough estimate of how much it will cost to go td04. I only want to run at 1bar as i dont want to go down the forged route. Also i am going to get a thicker head gasket, replace the rings and valve stem oil seals, and was wondering how much it would cost for this. I am taking the engine out myself

Glanza24

Member +
can someone give me a rough estimate of how much it will cost to go td04. I only want to run at 1bar as i dont want to go down the forged route. Also i am going to get a thicker head gasket, replace the rings and valve stem oil seals, and was wondering how much it would cost for this. I am taking the engine out myself

A rough price of the top my head would be around £2000 to £3000 for a proper td04 set up

durmz

Member +
A rough price of the top my head would be around £2000 to £3000 for a proper td04 set up

tis a costly business, as said, with a good intercooler, proper management and a brand new kit i think ude get it for around 2000. but the other option is with some bargains here and there in the for sales section u can get it all for cheaper

churcherj

Member +

well it depends what mods you currently have? and what extra you need to buy, if you have no mods then it will cost a fair bit mate, if youve already got a few good supporting mods such as frount mount intercooler, exhaust system, brakes?, handling mods, fueling, then it wont cost as much as youd think, it also depends what type of kit you go for, i.e a really decent manifold and external wastegate setup or a shitty manifold ebay setup lol....

Glanza24

Member +
Brakes very important. No point of having the power and not being able to slow down for corners and ending up wrong side of a hedge. Also good management with adjustable fpr and set up on rolling road all adds up but is worth it in the long run

I know, I've had 2 different kits on my car and it still didn't cost £3k

apart from what I listed in the link I posted all you need is managment.

edit:

cheapest way:

properly ported standard manifold, one from CCM £60

an adaptor plate, weejohn used to make them can be got rather easily 2nd hand £40

Decat made up on car by an exhaust place e.g. powerflow £60

Custom oil lines made up £20

TD04L got from a scooby forum £40

RX7 460cc injectors off ebay US if required £60

Grand total of £220 if you don't need injectors.

Add a FMIC at £250 or an RX7 TMIC £50 to the above and whatever managment you want to use.

Last edited:

ianmcintoshi

Member +
I know, I've had 2 different kits on my car and it still didn't cost £3k

apart from what I listed in the link I posted all you need is managment.

edit:

Add a FMIC at £250 or an RX7 TMIC £50 to the above and whatever managment you want to use.

I said on a totally stock starlet, so u would also need exhuast system, induction, uprated clutch, fuel pump, bigger injectors if needed, uprated suspension, posibly a smaller radiator, brakes (very least better disks and pads) also the price of management and getting it all set up on a rr... It all mounts up.

Im sure u could get a starlet running with a td04 for a lot less but for me a proper well balanced td04 starlet with good reliable parts would cost roughly 3k ;)

Last edited:

srankin90

Member +
i need to buy:
td04 turbo
rrfpr
manifold
fcd
thicker head gasket
valve stem oil seals
piston rings
then just whatever the mechanic charges

Dont want to buy management as i am only looking to run it at 1bar. This couldnt all come to £2000-3000 could it??? I am only looking to spend around £1000 or tops £1500

ianmcintoshi

Member +
i need to buy:
td04 turbo
rrfpr
manifold
fcd
thicker head gasket
valve stem oil seals
piston rings
then just whatever the mechanic charges

Dont want to buy management as i am only looking to run it at 1bar. This couldnt all come to £2000-3000 could it??? I am only looking to spend around £1000 or tops £1500

nah mate that list will cost u nothing like 2-3k, if thats all u need it would probs jst be over 1k i would have thot.

I said on a totally stock starlet, so u would also need exhuast system£150, induction£30, uprated clutch not needed, fuel pumpnot needed, bigger injectors£60 if needed, uprated suspensionlowering springs- £100 for good ones 2nd hand, posibly a smaller radiator, brakes (very least better disks and pads)discs do fuck all, braided lines £50 also the price of management and getting it all set up on a rr... It all mounts up EMU £400 mapping £200.

Im sure u could get a starlet running with a td04 for a lot less but for me a proper well balanced td04 starlet with good reliable parts would cost roughly 3k ;)

so the original £300 for a td0 as I posted previously plus all your extra requirements £990

Well shy of 3k

;)

-cuffy-

Member +
so the original £300 for a td0 as I posted previously plus all your extra requirements £990

Well shy of 3k

;)

lol nice one. some ppl dont look into this enough, it is alot cheaper to go td04 than ppl think, just need to look about and source good cheap parts, i wouldnt go near a td04 kit off any traders as they are far too dear for what they are. management is the dearest part im gona have to buy to go td04.

srankin90

Member +
all i have to do now is wait until my student loan comes in lol:) anybody know what sort of bhp figures i would be getting

Why is a fuel pump and uprated clutch not needed? I always thot a oem clutch would start to slip at 170-180bhp?

;) lol

I'm running 1.2bar and 240 bhp and I don't need a fuel pump, I also don't need a new clutch yet either.

If I were to get a paddle clutch I would probably get less miles than with my current set up as I do alot of town driving.

When my current clutch eventually goes I'll probably just get an uprated cover

Wink at that