Had a smash, What if my car is written off?

gtsi

Member +
I had a smash yesterday with a learner driver, unfortunately it has been classed as my fault, as I hit the back of him, doesn't matter about any of the facts.

I Just got back from the repair centre appointed by my insurance company, it didn't sound too promising. It looked like the guy was writing his shopping list for Tesco.

Bumper, Bumper hanger, NSF wing, Grille, Quad Headlamp, Bonnet, Indicator, Aircon Radiator and Fan, Radiator, Twisted front bar and the guy also said that it looked like the chassis rail has been twisted.

Now I have to wait for the quote to be put to the insurance company.

If they write the car off, what value should I be looking for. It's a 1993 EP82 148k on the clock(90k was in km). How much does it usually cost to buy it back from the insurance, is it just scrap value?

gtsi

dan

Member +
going through the same thing at the mo mate, some women ran into the back of me on monday, took mine to her insurance approved garage yesterday, he was saying that most insurances wont bother trying to fix it as they are imports and more work sourcing parts etc .

Im hoping that i get at least 2k for mine if the write it off, then im probbaly going to buy it back.

Hope it gets sorted matey.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
if the chassis is bent its definetly gonna be a right off.

never had that experience but its probably not gonna be a huge bill ( fingers crossed )

Timmy

Member +
sounds like a write off. As most gts are only worth £2-3k in insurance eyes. I would say it easy gonna cost that to repair your looking at just 2k of parts. Just hope u get a good pay out and you could buy it back to break it or for parts for a new one.

Jay

Admin
If they mess either of you about on the market value print some copies of the ones advertised on ebay and the autotrader website to argue the case. Mine was only worth £1000-1500 I think.

gtsi

Member +
Well, I got word at the end of last week that the insurance company is writing my car off as a category C. Just sent them loads of paper work that they requested and had an interesting time with a 3-way conversation between myself, the insurance company and the DVLA to carry out a license check.

Don't know how the engineer decided that it was a write off really, as a suited guy at the approved repairer just glanced over the car and took a few photos, before I took the car home, where it has been for the last 2 weeks.

I have asked about buying it back, and so the salvage recovery has been called off while I wait for settlement. My only concern is that a letter sent by the insurance included the following in an FAQ:-

Can I buy the car back?

It is not our policy to allow this because the Government and the Association of British Insurers have issued guidelines to all insurance companies with specific instructions on what must be done with written off cars.

:( gtsi

dan

Member +
gutted mate, least you've heard something. Ive heard nothing and its starting to piss me right off now. Suppose thats the only downfall with it going through her insurance, they aint half dragging it out.

gtsi

Member +
you may be lucky, if not get cracking finding another one

Doubt that I will be getting another one. I now have a 5 month old addition to my family and he seems to use up most of my cash as my wife is on 12mths maternity leave with no plans to go back. I am using the Bus to get to work at the moment (£18 weekly).

Although I have a plan, if we can stretch the finances. Get my wife a Yaris D4D, Ins Grp 4, great fuel economy and only £35 road tax, then I get her EP91 Reflet. If I can keep the GT and it is not worth my while to repair it, then I could turbo the EP91.

gtsi

Member +
gutted mate, least you've heard something. Ive heard nothing and its starting to piss me right off now. Suppose thats the only downfall with it going through her insurance, they aint half dragging it out.

Probably because my insurance immediately agreed with the other insurance company that it was my fault as I hit the rear of the other car, doesn't matter that it was a learner, who in my opinion had started to pull out onto the dual carriageway and since there was plenty of time to get out, had no reason to stop again.

Hopefully you will hear something soon about your claim. It may be worth giving them a call, as that was the only way I found out.

gtsi

sx_turbo

Lifer
Doubt that I will be getting another one. I now have a 5 month old addition to my family and he seems to use up most of my cash as my wife is on 12mths maternity leave with no plans to go back. I am using the Bus to get to work at the moment (£18 weekly).

Although I have a plan, if we can stretch the finances. Get my wife a Yaris D4D, Ins Grp 4, great fuel economy and only £35 road tax, then I get her EP91 Reflet. If I can keep the GT and it is not worth my while to repair it, then I could turbo the EP91.

fair enough that sounds like a plan

dan

Member +
Probably because my insurance immediately agreed with the other insurance company that it was my fault as I hit the rear of the other car, doesn't matter that it was a learner, who in my opinion had started to pull out onto the dual carriageway and since there was plenty of time to get out, had no reason to stop again.

Hopefully you will hear something soon about your claim. It may be worth giving them a call, as that was the only way I found out.

gtsi

yeah, im only TPFT so my insurance is having nothing to do with it, im having to deal directly, her insurance rang and told me shes taken full liability, but then heard nothing after i had it inspected by her engineers, i rang on friday and they were questioning wether it was a low impact speed and they would get back to me, so maybe its taking longer as the probably were not expecting that much for repairs and it could of come back as stupid money.

Let me know anyways mate how you get on with your settlement as it will give me a rough idea of what i'd be expecting if they write mine off :)

thomllee1981

Member +
i was told this buy the guy that took my dads car which is a cat c write-off aswell

you buy the car back off scrap people they give first refusal not insurance company!
you get it fixed then you spend £36 re-registering the car (apperently this has to be done not totally sure why, believe its because it gets de-registered on write off)
then you get an mot done £55.
reinsure and road tax
there you go all sorted!

1 major thing dont go back to the same insureer they will most likely refuse to insure you.

gtsi

Member +
yeah, im only TPFT so my insurance is having nothing to do with it, im having to deal directly, her insurance rang and told me shes taken full liability.

I would have expected your insurance company to deal with hers. Even if you are TPFT, they should be dealing with it even if it is a non-fault claim.

gtsi

Member +
you buy the car back off scrap people they give first refusal not insurance company!
you get it fixed then you spend £36 re-registering the car (apperently this has to be done not totally sure why, believe its because it gets de-registered on write off)
then you get an mot done £55.
reinsure and road tax.

Thanks for the info, it's amazing how the DVLA can squeeze even more money out of you, especially if you have to stump up to fix your own car.

Most insurance companies probably don't want you to claim for your own car and fix it yourself, as it gets around all of this write-off hassle and saves them a bundle.

Dingle

Member +
If they mess either of you about on the market value print some copies of the ones advertised on ebay and the autotrader website to argue the case. Mine was only worth £1000-1500 I think.

I had to do this, when a women smashed into me. The guy at the approved accident repair place was trying to tell me they aint worth diddly. Until i started telling him prices off of ebay and auto trader