Help with a rebuild

DemetrisIak

Member +
Hello, i need the wisdom of the members of the forum as i am about to rebuild an engine or rather reconstruct it. I bought a Toyota Corsa with 150k kms on the clock, main car is my Glanza and that's where the engine is going in. It's a 4efe in the Corsa. I want to learn how to alter it properly internally since i am going to use the glanza head valve springs, cams and shims to reconstruct the 4efe head as a 4efte as well as a slight porting to match the intake and exhaust gaskets. My question is, what do i need to buy and change in the 4efe short block assembly. (I will be running stock power on the motor), i already have a spare oil filter relocation thing from a previous engine, and i don't intend to use water lines on the turbo so the 4efe thermostat housing should be fine for it. thanks in advance

DemetrisIak

Member +
Thank you for your speedy answer sir, but i have already seen this post, the thing is that i am looking for a straight answer though as to what is needed to turn a 4efe into a 4efte besides the head. Now I saw many posts but none gave an answer to my specific task. And another thing i forgot to mention is that the engine i plan to turn into an fte is on an automatic transmission and my main concern is if the crankshaft or anything on the engine regarding the block it self is different from a manual, although I suspect it's the same, I just have to mount the manual transmission flywheel on the crankshaft and it should be fine. But I want to hear the opinions of the people who know what they are doing so I don't end up throwing money in an endless money pit.

SKINY

Lifer
Water cooling lines are there for a good reason Buddy :)
Have you bought any parts yet ?
Djr imports had a full 4efte engine there a while ago 1500£ he's UK based but ships worldwide
That could be cheaper than turning the fe into fte
:)

DemetrisIak

Member +
Water cooling lines are there for a good reason Buddy :)
Have you bought any parts yet ?
Djr imports had a full 4efte engine there a while ago 1500£ he's UK based but ships worldwide
That could be cheaper than turning the fe into fte
Here's the thing, i already have them cancelled on my car and it didn't have any problems whatsoever so i don't see a reason as to why connect them, secondly the import tax from the uk to Cyprus is mixed to 31% based on the retail price of the thing imported.. so such a thing is insufferable in my pocket. And since i have the skills required to do the job and the correct tools, i am going to do it by myself, since i am not modifying and i am in the oem specs. All i ask is an answer to my questions stated above.. But thanks for the trouble answering to me anyway..

daniel_g

Member +
The pistons and conrods are different.

Some of the crankshafts are the same as the FTE some are not.

With the 4EFE being from a Toyota Corsa, this might be an early JDM engine.

It really is easy, you sound like you know what you are doing.

DemetrisIak

Member +
The pistons and conrods are different.

Some of the crankshafts are the same as the FTE some are not.

With the 4EFE being from a Toyota Corsa, this might be an early JDM engine.

It really is easy, you sound like you know what you are doing.
I have studied all the parameters possible on these engines and it's true that i know, all the specs all the torque numbers, all the measurements, the reason I asked is to make sure i am in the right direction.

H_D

Member +
Hello, i need the wisdom of the members of the forum as i am about to rebuild an engine or rather reconstruct it. I bought a Toyota Corsa with 150k kms on the clock, main car is my Glanza and that's where the engine is going in. It's a 4efe in the Corsa. I want to learn how to alter it properly internally since i am going to use the glanza head valve springs, cams and shims to reconstruct the 4efe head as a 4efte as well as a slight porting to match the intake and exhaust gaskets. My question is, what do i need to buy and change in the 4efe short block assembly. (I will be running stock power on the motor), i already have a spare oil filter relocation thing from a previous engine, and i don't intend to use water lines on the turbo so the 4efe thermostat housing should be fine for it. thanks in advance
i removed my water lines to the turbo ages ago as one of them began to leak. not had any issues at all

DemetrisIak

Member +
Each to there own on the water lines then :)
Surely there's a reason that they're there, and reading through some other posts, the main reason the water lines exist is to help the engine heat up faster and cool the turbo down in cases of abuse, but this, in reality is not really necessary, since the oil line is more than enough to do the cooling in most applications, and since most people change into a td04 or vf28 when hunting for power, the water cooling isn't used at all, at least i haven't seen many cars (glanza and starlets) using the water lines apart from the cars that are totally stock and have never been modified.

SKINY

Lifer
I will be using them when I fit my tf035 kit Buddy :) Toyota had a good reason lol. Recently fitted a hybrid ct26 on the Caldina and used them instead of just looping them. I actually had the inlet/outlet on the turbo enlarged when I had It rebuilt to the hybrid, did the same with the oil feed/return too.
Your 100% correct about the heating and cooling and that's why I went with the enlargements, more flow the better for cooling/heating, and also it helps the lifespan of the turbo :)

DemetrisIak

Member +
I will be using them when I fit my tf035 kit Buddy :) Toyota had a good reason lol. Recently fitted a hybrid ct26 on the Caldina and used them instead of just looping them. I actually had the inlet/outlet on the turbo enlarged when I had It rebuilt to the hybrid, did the same with the oil feed/return too.
Your 100% correct about the heating and cooling and that's why I went with the enlargements, more flow the better for cooling/heating, and also it helps the lifespan of the turbo :)
Tf035? If I'm not mistaken it's smaller than td04 bigger than ct26? It seems you're trying to find the sweet spot to eliminate lag in the 2800-3200 range and keep the power on the higher range of the revs? Please let me know how this goes

DemetrisIak

Member +
Anyway if someone else knows what i must do, please read the start of the thread and give me some advise, i would really appreciate it.:)

SKINY

Lifer
Idworks.co.uk sells "forged kits" Buddy, basically everything you need apart from a head, pistons, rods etc etc, think they start at about 1200£
You could get cams etc and use your current head, might work out cheaper that way than buying a fte head and paying post and tax etc ?
Start a build thread in the showcase section and show us what your up too Buddy

DemetrisIak

Member +
Idworks.co.uk sells "forged kits" Buddy, basically everything you need apart from a head, pistons, rods etc etc, think they start at about 1200£
You could get cams etc and use your current head, might work out cheaper that way than buying a fte head and paying post and tax etc ?
Start a build thread in the showcase section and show us what your up too Buddy
I think you did not understand what i am going to do, i suggest you read my post from the start, i have to specify something, i only plan to buy pistons and rings, seals gaskets and valve stem seals, nothing more because i will be reusing the parts of the 4efte head that is currently on the glanza, to reconstruct the 4efe head. The crank and rods will be the 4efe ones since they are compatible. I hope now the picture is clearer

SKINY

Lifer
Bit of a cheeky cunt aren't you lol
The picture is crystal clear at my end, plenty of information on here for what you want to do lol

DemetrisIak

Member +
Bit of a cheeky cunt aren't you lol
The picture is crystal clear at my end, plenty of information on here for what you want to do lol
Oh stop it you, you make me blush :oops: lol
Yeah i am studying some posts but i see many different approaches and some seem weird, or rather, impractical.

Jay

Admin
As you already know, the piston tops are dished on the turbo bottom end to lower compression so you could just change those if you wanted to replicate the 4EFTE.

There shouldn't be any hassle with the transmission, the engines are pretty much the same until you get to the flywheel.

Worth mentioning, I've turbo'd a few 4EFE engines in the past without altering them internally. So long as you start with an engine in good condition and keep boost sensible they can actually last. I ran one at stock boost on a CT9 for 18 months. Wouldn't take it as total gospel as I could just have been lucky, but it's an option for the cowboys amongst us.

DemetrisIak

Member +
As you already know, the piston tops are dished on the turbo bottom end to lower compression so you could just change those if you wanted to replicate the 4EFTE.

There shouldn't be any hassle with the transmission, the engines are pretty much the same until you get to the flywheel.

Worth mentioning, I've turbo'd a few 4EFE engines in the past without altering them internally. So long as you start with an engine in good condition and keep boost sensible they can actually last. I ran one at stock boost on a CT9 for 18 months. Wouldn't take it as total gospel as I could just have been lucky, but it's an option for the cowboys amongst us.
That's what I was hoping to hear, thank you @Jay, do you agree with my approach on the head reconstruction? Since the engine i got now was never machined or opened before.

Jay

Admin
Yeah, springs are the difference between turbo and non-turbo heads.

If you use the 4EFTE head you should get it checked for flatness then 'blueprint' the inlet/outlet ports to suit in order to keep the flow at a maximum. Don't bother smoothing the inlets as they need turbulence to get the air into the mix.