4EFE vs 4EFTE engine block differences for forged engine build.

Frankieflowers

Member +
Hey guys.

i want to forge my 4efte engine, but I was thinking to do the work on another engine block.
This way I could keep using the car while the job is done and then put the fte head on with upgraded valve springs. I would also swap the oil sump that is different. Oil pump ahould be the same but ai would install a PEM fte oil pump regardless.

Question is if the 4efe block is compatible with the fte or not?

Hoe you can help!

@Jay

aubreygil

Member +
Hey Frankie wondering similar... I've just found out that my 4efte cyclinder number 2 is not looking good .. I've the corolla engine there and wondering what can be swapped or salvaged to save the project

Frankieflowers

Member +
Hey Frankie wondering similar... I've just found out that my 4efte cyclinder number 2 is not looking good .. I've the corolla engine there and wondering what can be swapped or salvaged to save the project
You have a Corolla E11 with a 4efte swap? That’s great! Sorry to hear the engine is suffering. We need to be sure we can use our old 4efe block that is sitting there.

aubreygil

Member +
I haven't done the swap yet have everything waiting to go ahead but got the news on the cylinder tonight

Frankieflowers

Member +
I haven't done the swap yet have everything waiting to go ahead but got the news on the cylinder tonight
I understand. We need to ask @Jay that knows someone who pulled apart both engines and knows them well. For what I know the block is the same besides probably the oil pressure sensor? The crank is the same. Rods and piatons are different bot we don’t care as we’ll replace them.

aubreygil

Member +
This is from a glanza and a 4efe starlet..
Someone can tell me I've provided you the wrong info I'm not sure

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-16-22-17-55-721_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-16-22-17-55-721_com.android.chrome.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2023-04-16-22-15-53-305_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-16-22-15-53-305_com.android.chrome.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 11

Frankieflowers

Member +
This is from a glanza and a 4efe starlet..
Someone can tell me I've provided you the wrong info I'm not sure
You are right. I checked as well after we spoke.
Can we make a list of the different parts between the engines? I need to know if I can use the FE block to be forged as a FTE changing only the oil sump and oil filter relocation. If the engine head is the same besides the camshafts I will have to buy them. Also the engine head rocket is different as the FTE has the oil breather. What else?

Attachments

• B1D20164-9027-4E37-B6E6-947D82A820DE.png
    B1D20164-9027-4E37-B6E6-947D82A820DE.png
    370.8 KB · Views: 7
  • D7A40D7F-AFC5-4F29-B407-760655238ED4.png
    D7A40D7F-AFC5-4F29-B407-760655238ED4.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 5EEE778B-5471-4587-84F1-249F86A339B2.png
    5EEE778B-5471-4587-84F1-249F86A339B2.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 759897D9-A47C-43B7-AB96-771961BE8364.png
    759897D9-A47C-43B7-AB96-771961BE8364.png
    397 KB · Views: 6

Frankieflowers

Member +
Go
Depends which FE block you are using, the ones I've used all had knock sensors or the thread already there.
Good news you did this before. Would you be so kind to make a list of actual differences between the two engine internals? I need to be sure I have everything before I start. I want to create a clone of my 4efte using my Corolla 4efe and forge it buying the kit from Tuning-developments.i’m not gonna buy another fte for about £1800 to to the job because it would be too expensive..

daniel_g

Member +
There are a few similar threads on here at the monent but it is pretty simple.

The 4E block and crank is the same.

The 4E camshafts, valve springs, conrods and pistons are all thinner / weaker than a FTE. Unless it is an early JDM FE...

Also remember these parts are 30 years old now so take that into account when sourcing FTE camshafts and valve springs.

My old E11 Corolla FE had a different oil pump and timing pulley for a crank sensor so just watch for that aswell.

Advise shopping about for parts, personally I don't use TD anymore so just be careful before you part with your money. Hurley Race Parts should have most of what you need for a build. JE or Wossnor for pistons. Maxspeeding conrods are perfectly fine, most others are the same ones rebranded.

I wouldn't bother getting a full gasket kit either as depending on your build it might not be used.

A 4E sump can be tapped for the oil return without having to find a FTE sump and matching pickup.

Frankieflowers

Member +

The 4E camshafts, valve springs, conrods and pistons are all thinner / weaker than a FTE. Unless it is an early JDM FE...

Also remember these parts are 30 years old now so take that into account when sourcing FTE camshafts and valve springs.

My old E11 Corolla FE had a different oil pump and timing pulley for a crank sensor so just watch for that aswell.

Advise shopping about for parts, personally I don't use TD anymore so just be careful before you part with your money. Hurley Race Parts should have most of what you need for a build. JE or Wossnor for pistons. Maxspeeding conrods are perfectly fine, most others are the same ones rebranded.

I wouldn't bother getting a full gasket kit either as depending on your build it might not be used.

A 4E sump can be tapped for the oil return without having to find a FTE sump and matching pickup.
Thank you for the info.

so so far I need camshafts and a oil sump. What about a after market relocation oil filter kit? Or do I have to use the OEM relocation bracket? I have a turbo relocation exhaust manifold so I should have space to fit a oil filter relocation kot with oil radiator.
I already bought a pverhaul gasket kot from the US. I think ot os good to have a spare one.
TD gave me this deal. What do you think about it? Could I save mony buying elsewhere? I am in Italy so buying from EU would save me import taxes. Any tip?
Which camshafts should I buy?

here is the list I have:
Wossner Pistons
SCAT Rods
ACL Bearings
Cometic MLS Headgasket
ARP Headbolts
ARP Mainstuds
Toyota Oil Pump
Uprated Valve Spring Kit
Timing Belt Kit
Water Pump Kit
Shipping To Italy

£1520.00

Frankieflowers

Member +

P.S. My FE block os the 1998 distributed in Europe.
11401-80695
What about the knock filter? Will I have to get the block drilled?

Frankieflowers

Member +
Whqt about the extra water cylinder drain cock on the fte engine? The fe has only one.

Attachments

• 72B11C21-B696-4F0D-BDF0-4C4E3A76C964.jpeg
    72B11C21-B696-4F0D-BDF0-4C4E3A76C964.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 6

daniel_g

Member +
The FTE oil filter housing works well as all turbo manifolds are designed to clear it. But an aftermarket oil filter relocation kit with cooler may be better.

Aftermarket camshafts is something that I have never ran before, however Ivan Tighe camshafts are tried and tested and supposed to be top quality.

That is a good spec list of parts from TD and very similar to what I have. I do not know of any parts suppliers in Europe.

Just a note on the ARP main studs, my crank cap snapped and I believe it was due to having these fitted.

Regarding the knock sensor thread, you will just need to look at the rear of the block to see, my Corolla did have a knock sensor so yours should too.

Frankieflowers

Member +
I check idler sub assy n.1 and 2 on both fe and fte and they are the same.

Attachments

• BA41EAD4-6F9F-4167-9FF9-74554456048C.png
    BA41EAD4-6F9F-4167-9FF9-74554456048C.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 5498DA10-ED7B-4FB9-822F-A5E13D09B665.png
    5498DA10-ED7B-4FB9-822F-A5E13D09B665.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 5