How to tell if forge or not

Spoonz

Member +
Sup.
Want to know best wya about seeing if a engine is forged and how do u tell ie what am i looking for inparticular markings etc

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
just open the sump up & have a look :)

ull notice immediately ;)

sx_turbo

Lifer
there is no gasket on the sump. you have to seal it with instant gasket.

toyota do this from factory.

also sumps are a bastard to get off.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
literally bolt it off, obviously drain your oil out before hand into a bucket etc.... then reseal with the sealant as mentioned above by ricky....

bigdoods

Member +
i have been told before that when the engine is cold there may be like a slight knocking sound from the engine when there is forged pistons but when the engine warms up it disappears.this is the pistons expanding when warm and filling the cylinders more.is this true?

and in your haste to put it back on...DONT forget to let the gasket maker cure a little BEFORE u run the car----i normally leave it for a few hours (though that mey well be excessive)

also....make sure to apply a little more gasket maker on the curve areas,,,,as the sump tends to leak from those curves if not properly seals (too little gasket maker used)

also AVOID using black g/maker....as any leak from the sump would be hard to detect....probably use blue, red, or even gray

last thing...also check the heat/temperature rating of the g/maker u use....some differ in temperature rating

ian

Member +
I have removed my sump and have pics, what exactly am i looking for see if it is forged.

Also where is the best place to get the gasket stuff from is there any good reccomendations of make ?

stuart

Member +
The rods are completely different to std rods I believe...don't take my word for it though!! One of the starlet gods will answer shortly....Que kon, jay etc!! :homer:

riko666

Member +
4efte_rod_1.jpg

Stock 4E and Pauter 4E Rods next to each other for comparisons - it should be obvious if they are aftermarket or not. Bigdoods, that's only true of the high silicone content pistons, there are others that reduce the amount of silicone used and as such don't expand as much and hence cylinder clearances can be tighter, reducing the noise

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well lets put it simple, the easiest way to notice if u have forged internals when lookin at the inside (from the sump) is hat u can see the markings on the pistons, usually all aftermarket pistons have the name where toyota have the size of the piston & that weird marking of theirs... as for hte rods thats pretty obvious look at the picture riko posted up, if u look at the colour of the rods its already enough to give u a massive clue :)

kon