Idle just went downtown!?

SupaStu

Member +
Really weird, I got in the car earlier started fine, and idled fine.

Now when I got in 10 minutes ago the idle was close to stalling, around 100 (normal is around 900 to 1000 on mine).

Seems to have stayed that way now, the needle shakes because the engine is turning so slowly, barely alive.

Although the car drives fine, as normal.

Any ideas what has suddenly caused this?

Oh and the PCV valve is new, was changed a few weeks ago.

iamlegend

Member +
Really weird, I got in the car earlier started fine, and idled fine.

Now when I got in 10 minutes ago the idle was close to stalling, around 100 (normal is around 900 to 1000 on mine).

Seems to have stayed that way now, the needle shakes because the engine is turning so slowly, barely alive.

Although the car drives fine, as normal.

Any ideas what has suddenly caused this?

Oh and the PCV valve is new, was changed a few weeks ago.

my car has started to do this as well :(

SupaStu

Member +
Don't know about any error codes, not had a chance to check them, and I probably don't know anything about them.

PCV valve (whole assembly) is new so it can't be that.

Could it be a spark plug or distributor thing?

Shitty fuel? Although i'm running 97 Octane.

And my backbox bracket broke last week, so its cable tied at the moment, it wouldn't be a blockage in the exhaust or something stupid like that?

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Don't know about any error codes, not had a chance to check them, and I probably don't know anything about them.

PCV valve (whole assembly) is new so it can't be that.

Could it be a spark plug or distributor thing?

Shitty fuel? Although i'm running 97 Octane.

And my backbox bracket broke last week, so its cable tied at the moment, it wouldn't be a blockage in the exhaust or something stupid like that?

if PCV fucked.. leaked it would idle high... could be anything mate. do a diag test will show up if its spark or something like that

SupaStu

Member +
Okay pipes etc look fine, car runs okay, just the idle lying low, sometimes stalls when you have the clutch in with no revs.

I'm going to order a new distributor, rotor arm and spark plugs.

The dist has not been replaced before and the spark plugs were changed about 20,000 miles ago (engine has about 138,000 kms on it). Also do I need to buy the whole distributor or just the cap? My existing dist:

096.jpg

Okay how do you change the spark plugs and the distributor/rotor arm (i have never done this before).

I will also buy the spark plug socket attachment.

Also is this the IAC? :

107.jpg

Can you just buy a new one, how much, or try to clean the inside?

Cheers lads.

SupaStu

Member +
No, should I? I know nothing about the IAC, only what I have seen in some threads, but not 100% about it.

Cheers

CMR

Member +
It can be disconnected with the engine running, it usually is the cause of ticking on idle, but if it goes faulty I imagine it could f00k up the idle.
Worth a try.

SupaStu

Member +
I just disconnected it and started it, runs the same, then reconnected and started it and still runs the same, around 300-400 revs (the first bar on the clock).

CMR

Member +
I'd do a diag then like sheldon said (if you have already apologies, i skim read the thread and couldnt see you had)

If it does show a fault at least it will save you wasting money on parts you dont need

SupaStu

Member +
Cheers for the help, no i've not run the diag yet, will get a chance tomorrow night, hopefully straightforward enough.

CMR

Member +
Yeah use a piece of wire (speaker.. electrical wire anything) or a paperclip unfolded.. easy enough to do.

SupaStu

Member +
Just done it with a paperclip, engine light flashes constantly consistenly, so no error codes. No long pauses, just on and off steady.

Just ordered some new spark plugs from Dave, might as well renew them.

Probably just renew the dist and rotor as well? No idea if these have ever been changed.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
hey bud, still with the prob? well you can try a few things if nothing showed up on the diag test.

get some carb cleaner spray.... take off the pipe from the inter cooler to the inlet.. start the engine rev the car and spray in the inlet.. when you spray the engine will drop revs and will seem like its going to stall when it seems its stalling stop spraying after revs build up spray again.. do that for some time so you clean inside.

then remove th eidle control valve (the one you showed in the pic) and spray carb cleaner in it to clean it. you will see black stuff comin out of it. re fit that. then near the idle control valve, but from the front there is a sensor into the plenum.. remove that with a spanner and when you take it off it will be a bit dirty with the carb cleaner and shit.. just clean it with a tissue or a peace of cloth and re fit.

make sure everything is fitted correctly and start the engine... rev it a bit 4/5k and see how your idle goes... if still bit low.. try putting it up from the idle screw and see if it keeps 900/1k of idle.

i think you will solve the problem by doing the above. you need to take off the dissy cap to inspect it from the inside not outside... if your not sure what to exp[ect just take a pic of the inside (points) and put it on here mate.

as for changing the spark plugs... you need to remove your TMIC and just take out old - put in new.

any questions, just ask :)

sheldon

SupaStu

Member +
Cheers Sheldon, i'll get some carb cleaner tomorrow and give that a try, and try and get an inside pic of the dist cap.

Mike_ep91

Member +
you can raise the idle revs by adjusting the little screw on top of the throttle body.i had a problem with my revs dropping way too low there last week and i raised them via that screw and there spot on now.just one thing to look into to help your problem.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
you can raise the idle revs by adjusting the little screw on top of the throttle body.i had a problem with my revs dropping way too low there last week and i raised them via that screw and there spot on now.just one thing to look into to help your problem.

yes its true but if i where you id clean everything etc.. as if it was good and then just droped revs... it did for a reason!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
when i did mine as i wrote.. idle went up! like 1.4k lol... so there was some blockage somewhere