I'm so close to giving up :(

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Almost had enough of my GT. Just recently had it back from a garage who fixed my oil leak problem after a new engine has been fitted (cam pulley seal replaced, sump re-sealed & rocker cover sealed due to leaking at the back)

So i'm doing my last 250 miles of running the engine in on some crappy mineral oil cheap stuff lol.

Was out last night trying to do some miles. Started to take the car to 4k - 4.5k revs slowly with varied driving. Been engine braking etc and taking it easy.

My turbo all of a sudden felt like it wasnt boosting properly & felt like the engine was doing all the work. Before tonight it was spooling up nicely but never went past something like .4 bar....but lastn night i was lucky to see .2 bar @ 4 k :confused:

Also i got the odd puff of oily smoke from the exhaust...but didnt happen on idle like it did when my old CT9 went.. It was more like when i started the car (say after being at a petrol station) and it would give off a few puffs of smoke, then stop :noidea:

Checked for boost leaks and couldnt hear or see any... but my catch can like water drips over it & all this white oily shit coming out the breather????

I took a pic of the breather this morning...it looked much worse last night but it was too dark to take a picture....

IMGP0257.jpg

IMGP0256.jpg

Is my car not liking this oil? Anyone think it would be better when proper oil goes in? Or am i being paranoid lol?

Really almost giving up on her....caused me so much stress & i worry about it constantly.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
whats the oil pressure like?

Seems fine... kept a close eye on it. Never really dropped below 50ish psi... on idle it was around 20-25psi..

I was out for about an hour and half last night on my own & only saw a puff of smoke twice, maybe a third time & that was only when the car was stationary but didnt last long...smelt oily...cant think it would be the turbo as i havnt really boosted it at all & was fine the other day & for the 300 odd miles ive already done. :(

sx_turbo

Lifer
more likely the turbo.

it's highly possible and more than likely that when the big ends spun and there was all that metal in the engine that it found its way into the turbo,

when my engine did it did the turbo to.

i did mention this at the time,

the shaft of your turbo and the housing is probably badly scored and must be getting worse as you been driving it, thats the only possible conclusion i can come up with at the moment.

i also mentioned that it did look like your turbo seals were leaking,

the condensation on the breather is just because it mixes with the damp in the air.

because there is no vacume attached to the breather system is visible through the filter there.

a good wash of the can and the filter and it be fine.

rinseep82

Fresh Recruit
mite sound stupid mate but my breather looked like that when my head gasket went just check that mate looks alot like mine did:)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Thanks for your replies Ricky :kiss:

Ill give it a clean up tomorrow & finish off the miles....then do and oil & filter change & whack the good shit in.

Really dosent seem to be boosting right at all :( but seemed fine earlier in the night...

I cant afford a new turbo, especially as this was brand new in October & the car hasnt been driven since end of December until now :(

Not sure what to do...seems like problem after problem with this car.

if it was me i would do a headgasket test first just to be safe and sure its not that! then start looking at turbos if turbo has gone there is a company that rebuilt my ct9 there alled universal turbos and they are fkin brilliant!! maybe give them a call

sx_turbo

Lifer
looks like your headgasket problems from the cacth can pics.are you gettin water in the oil ?

no it's not.

you cant grasp whether it's headgasket or not from that pic.

oil vapours mix with air, air carries moisture, and this makes the thick white sludge on oil catch cans.

some catch cans have a mesh in to stop it from clogging up the oil breather.

my car has the same thing and there is nothing wrong with it,

my mates mini also has the same thing and there nothing wrong with that either.

no it's not.

oil vapours mix with air, air carries moisture, and this makes the thick white sludge on oil catch cans.

i agree here you cant tell from the top of the catch can

best way to tell is to get a proper head gasket test done then u will know for sure

billybob

Untrusted Seller
no it's not.

how much vapour or oil is in the cacth can ,should it be dumping out oil if the engine is new enough?

sx_turbo

Lifer
vapour and oil oil is dependent on conditions outside etc etc etc etc.

my catch can taken off my car 3 weeks ago when i changed the inlet manifold gasket, had loads of water in it.

this is not because a headgasket had gone, but caused by vapour from hot oil, the hot vapour cools down quickly and turns into water.

this vapour is normally sucked back through the inlet mani and burnt in the combustion process this is the reason for the pcv valve.

when the pcv valve and the standard recirc breather are removed this no longer occurs.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Catch can was jet washed thoroughly through every possible hole & can assure nothing was left in there. Brand new filter too.

There can’t be much in the can itself as there is no sign of water/oil on the see-through tube on the side of the can.

I'm worried about driving it & causing more damage. But i just want to get better oil in the as i can imagine its not liking this mineral stuff at all lol.