Info Req'd: Toyota Trueno AE111

Monkfish

Member +
Morning reprobates :homer:

I've just had a message from an eBay member offering a PX with the Starlet for a Toyota Trueno AE111. That's all the info they've given me so far, I've just responded asking what year and whether it's fitted with the 4A-GE engine.

While I'm waiting for a response, does anyone here know much about them? I've done some Google image bashing and found many pictures, mainly of BZG models.

One of the results was this...
ae111.jpg

...and if it looks like that, I'll rip his fucking arm off :p.

So yeh, if anyone has an info or a reliable source of information on AE111's, feel free to share it. :)

Dave.

Member +
Haha, this was the car i wanted to swap my starlet for at one point actually! Didn't do too much reading into them to be honest, but as i understand - they're super reliable and just love to rake up the miles... My main reasons for wanting one (20,000 km in 7 months lol)

Hope its a good one Monkfish, and I hope you don't regret the swap!

Dave

Monkfish

Member +
www.twincam.org
www.levinoc.com
The Bzr comes with the claimed 170bhp but they never fair so well on the dyno,but the 6gear ratio helps them keep up with and sometimes beat Sir civics.
Good on the bends aswell,some come with superstrut suspension ,costy to repair

http://www.nengun.com/image/member/20411/primary/0-0-dsc_6160.jpg
^^one of the lads i know

Cheers for the links. The forum requires registration so I'll wait to hear from the eBayer before I actually join. Hopefully it'll be the BZ-R with the 6 speed 'box.

As for your mates, I spotted that in the Google Image search, it looks stunning. Bomex bumper yeh? :cool:

Haha, this was the car i wanted to swap my starlet for at one point actually! Didn't do too much reading into them to be honest, but as i understand - they're super reliable and just love to rake up the miles... My main reasons for wanting one (20,000 km in 7 months lol)

Hope its a good one Monkfish, and I hope you don't regret the swap!

Dave

Cool! I've always like saloons, but most of the stuff I've been looking at has been a bit "old man", as Mrs Fish says :p. Hopefully the Levin will be just what I'm after, plus it gives me a reason to keep harassing you lot :D.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Cheers for the links. The forum requires registration so I'll wait to hear from the eBayer before I actually join. Hopefully it'll be the BZ-R with the 6 speed 'box.

As for your mates, I spotted that in the Google Image search, it looks stunning. Bomex bumper yeh? :cool:

:)
It only requres a validation,does take a while
Dont think this one does..ae-111.com

Yeaj hopefully,i wouldnt know a whole lot about them though
Yea its the bomex kit, and he has 4 pots i think:rockon:

Mikey Jay

Member +
Monkfish, that's the TOM's Levin.

(TOM's bodykit basically)

The Ae111 Levin/Treuno comes with the 20v 'Blacktop' variant of the 4age, revving to just over 8000rpm with a claimed 165bhp @ fly as stock, although the reality is lower
(I acheived 109.8bhp @ the wheels in my standard Levin)

BZG is the base model, whilst the BZR is the higher spec, with a larger spoiler, different sideskirts (although the BZG's didn't always have skirts anyhoos), different rear lights, a Helical LSD, a 6 speed gearbox and superstrut suspension

However, most of the above mechanical extras were avaialable as optional extra's on the BZG, so occasionally you will find a BZG with LSD, Superstrut etc.

If you want more info, sign up on www.ae111.co.uk and have a browse through the member cars and technical info.

Also wort noting is the difference between the Levin and Trueno, this being different front bumper (Levin - Square foglights, Trueno - Round foglights And slightly different headlights) and rear lights.

BZR:
BillsCar002.jpg

BZG (note the smaller spoiler)
IMG_2506.jpg

Rear light differences:
Treuno:
19947836a5203387501l.jpg

Levin:
IMG_2509.jpg

Front bumper differences:
Treuno:
Image086.jpg

Levin:
IMG_2504.jpg

Monkfish

Member +
Cool stuff.

This is looking like a very possible replacement. The more I look at the yellow one above, the more it makes sense.

Fast? Reasonably
Good Handling? Yup
4 Seats? Yup
Safe? Safer than an EP, that's for sure!
Stylish? Yup.

Even Mrs Fish says it looks better than the Starlet, which is quite something as she hates my choice of cars, lol. She did say it "looks like a wannabe Impreza" though. :homer:

Last edited:

Monkfish

Member +
infoz on teh levinz

Fantastic stuff! Thanks for the info and pics. :cool:

I think I prefer the back end of the Levin and the front end of the Trueno, just to be awkward. They're both nice looking cars though.

What's parts availability like for them as I'm assuming they're import only like the EP's?

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
@mikey jay

That white "trueno" you have posted ,the white one
It's actually a levin with the trueno bumper.
his names Pergie on most forums,and ian in real life:rlaugh)

Cooch

Member +
Always good when the Mrs approves. Lol. I have never heard any bad reports about em dude. As above though just give the owners forum a good browse.

P.s you dont have to own a toyota to keep hassling everyone on the site! He he

Monkfish

Member +
Always good when the Mrs approves. Lol. I have never heard any bad reports about em dude. As above though just give the owners forum a good browse.

P.s you dont have to own a toyota to keep hassling everyone on the site! He he

I don't know much about them TBH.

I know I don't need a Toyota badge to stick around, but I'm more likely to if I do own a Toyota. :)

Mikey Jay

Member +
You can get all the parts from Toyota if you're talking standard parts.

And plenty of choice for aftermarket stuff, just pretty much always has to be sourced from Japan.

(btw, the rear lights are interchangeable, tis a simple job)

@180kph, didn't realise, as that car has the Treuno headlights too

Mikey Jay

Member +
Only comment though, is that they're thirsty buggers at times :p

Not too bad for what they I suppose though.

I get near 300 miles to 40 litres of petrol, but that's entirely motorway mileage at a steady 70mph

Monkfish

Member +
What does it average to a tank?

I'm getting 200-220miles to a tank of SU, which costs about £38 to fill.

Monkfish

Member +
Also, having just checked the username of the person that emailed me from eBay, it appears he is from Bridgend. I think I know who it is, he had an EP82 before and has a Trueno now.

We'll see though. :)

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Also, having just checked the username of the person that emailed me from eBay, it appears he is from Bridgend. I think I know who it is, he had an EP82 before and has a Trueno now.

We'll see though. :)

We'll always come back:)

Best of luck anyway lad

bridgo

Fresh Recruit
If its a super strut one your getting check over the suspension. Make sure theres no klunking or pulling to the side on accelerating or breaking. Can be a bit expensive when things go wrong. Apart from that they are very reliable. Just keep good clean oil in em and ur grand. 3600 - 8000 rpm is where the fun is:rockon: and what a sound with a tasty exhaust:)