It went Bang

Jules-B

Member +
Well
Today was the fatefull day.
I came back from 2 weeks away in the usa.. got the car out. checked Oil, and coolant levels, let her warm up..took it easy for half hour or so, faint noise appeared so i stopped, checked everything again.. Started her up...fine..Oil light flickered when i got to some lights and then it just died. Got it started again and there is a god awful noise.

Well got it in the garage and in the air and i can confirm that its 3rd cylinder related.

Must have done a bearing which in turn fucked the oil pump, hence the oil pressure light.

So on a side note, if anyone has a set of forged pistons and rods, or a standard 4efte engine give me a shout.

Sad day!

nexia201

Member +
sorry to hear that mate probably it was the oil pump first then the bearing .but did it rattle at the crank? it could be a faulty oil pressure sender that was putting the warning on the dash !

Jules-B

Member +
hmm

firstly it was a noise at low rpm...then it gradually got worse and worse, even though i was only driving it to my garage to get it on the ramps to look...

By the time i got there it was fucked.
fair amount of play in number 3...number 3 is always the one to go!!. and i was running under standard boost on a ported mani!

Thanks for the sarcasm cole!!

Last edited:

nexia201

Member +
im not too sure.

firstly it was a noise at low rpm...then it gradually got worse and worse, even though i was only driving it to my garage to get it on the ramps to look...

By the time i got there it was fucked.
fair amount of play in number 3...number 3 is always the one to go!!. and i was running under standard boost on a ported mani!

but are you sure its a bearing? what was the noise like? cos a bearing wouldnt let go that fast there are some that run on a fucked bearing for ages with the crank nocking badly!

dantheman

Member +
jules i have a MINT low mileage bottom end here if you need one (heathrow), ive had the head off of it but thats all (still got the head complete)

Jules-B

Member +
Dan.
I may need that!. pm coming your way.

Nexia...i mean the sound was faint, and by the time i got to the garage all you could hear was the knocking. we took the engine apart and 3 has signifcant play in it

nexia201

Member +
Dan.
I may need that!. pm coming your way.

Nexia...i mean the sound was faint, and by the time i got to the garage all you could hear was the knocking. we took the engine apart and 3 has signifcant play in it

must have been oil starvation on the 3 bearings only then !

fastglanza

Member +
its your oil pump dude...thats why all cars should get external/aftermarket gauges...if not all at LEAST 3 : Oil pressure, Water Temp and a Boost Gauge

Wen u see the oem oil pressure light flicker you are dead....when ur oem temp goes to 3/4 up or a tad bit over half mark...u've overheated

Fishy89GT

Banned
Shite luck jules mate, not good to hear!

Im having no luck with mine either so not a good day for me neither lol!!

Jules-B

Member +
Yeah fastglanza.
It was the oil pump which in turn fucked cylinder 3. as i have found out now having the engine in pieces!

speedvision

Member +
Well
Today was the fatefull day.
I came back from 2 weeks away in the usa.. got the car out. checked Oil, and coolant levels, let her warm up..took it easy for half hour or so, faint noise appeared so i stopped, checked everything again.. Started her up...fine..Oil light flickered when i got to some lights and then it just died. Got it started again and there is a god awful noise.

Well got it in the garage and in the air and i can confirm that its 3rd cylinder related.

Must have done a bearing which in turn fucked the oil pump, hence the oil pressure light.

So on a side note, if anyone has a set of forged pistons and rods, or a standard 4efte engine give me a shout.

Sad day!

sorry to hear mate..i have some forgies in stock..if u need any hit me up

sam

sx_turbo

Lifer
mine let go yesterday aswell.

same issues as yours really, it's annoying and a big inconveniance but hey ho, it's just one of them things.

good luck with it jules :)