I've Lost Second Gear..

Idrees

Banned
Hey guys,

Argh I've never had good luck with the stupid gearbox/clutches on these cars. This time, it went like this:

Cruising towards a Give way, the road was clear so I carry on tootling along in second gear. Accelerate slightly to get anough RPM to shift to 3rd, but before I get the chance, the car popped out of second gear itself. :homer: Now, I have no second gear. I have all the other gears working perfectly.

I am using an Exedy Paddle Clutch, bought brand new a few weeks ago. The release bearing has been noisy and fucking annoying since the day the clutch was fitted, but now the rattling noise from the gearbox sounds 10 times louder.

Gutted.

Any ideas with what it could be?

Help appreciated.

Idrees

Banned
It does go where second gear should be, but there's nothing there.. It's not incredibly flimsy either, shifter doesn't flop all over the place.

Rory

Lifer
If it was a linkage problem, then 2nd, 4th and reverse you wouldnt get.
Sounds like an internall issue, possible selector fork damage, or the gear itself.

Im not to clued up on gearboxs (yet) but im presuming either or.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
im with rory on this.. a friend hadthe saem 2 weeks ago on 6 month chevrolette... it was 3rd only they said it was a bent or damaged fork selctor? something like that

Idrees

Banned
Pissed off with it tbh. I haven't even given this box abuse, it's done about 65k miles and didn't crunch or anything, and boom it just fucked up.

My old gearbox cracked and threw a massive chunk out while downshifting.

And another one got stuck in 4th gear when boosting through gears.

Idrees

Banned
You mean 2nd! :p Yeah I still need the car, if I continue to drive like this, is there anything else at risk?

Arghhh the RR meet I've organised is a week today too, wonder if it'll be safe to run like this? Seeing as only 4th gear will be used? And I have plans for London for the weekend after, how the f**k am I supposed to manage!!

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
You mean 2nd! :p Yeah I still need the car, if I continue to drive like this, is there anything else at risk?

Arghhh the RR meet I've organised is a week today too, wonder if it'll be safe to run like this? Seeing as only 4th gear will be used? And I have plans for London for the weekend after, how the f**k am I supposed to manage!!

yeah 2nd sorry.

Rory

Lifer
Please dont drive the car any further, you will only end up more out of pocket.

If you have a spare, swap them over, and use a good quality oil.

2 hours or so to change on the floor, even less if you can get it on a lift.

All the best

Idrees

Banned
I used 75w90 Performance Oil costing £25!

I don't have the time or patience to do it, will ring my cousin and ask him now. I only have a N/A gearbox so it's gonna have to do the job.

Shib786

Member +
I used 75w90 Performance Oil costing £25!

I don't have the time or patience to do it, will ring my cousin and ask him now. I only have a N/A gearbox so it's gonna have to do the job.

N/A Babyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Idrees, these gearbox's dont like you lmao....did you get my text earlier and you got it for me?

Idrees

Banned
Yeah but I don't have the time to remove it for you. You can come take it off yourself if you want.

Rumel786

Member +
Iddy as per my call yesterday my gearbox is still on the car...your more then welcome to come and take it off and borrow it if you want bro.

Let me know if you need it.