Just about to gut my cat

shaddow

Member +
Just about to set to work gutting my cat.
Iv read the thread on how to do it but does anyone have any advice or suggestions before I dive in??

SupaStu

Member +
I wouldnt do it man, too messy - dangerous stuff in there, also not a great shape for performance, what about mot?

You could buy a cheaper decat pipe, with a good diameter for performance.

GT_Ben

Member +
If got one already gutted if you want it? Drop me PM!

Means you could keep you own for MOT purposes!

Ben

ikzgtt

Member +
smash it out, cover your face 1st. works fine and will give u more power.

cover your eyes if u can with goggles. doesnt matter if u dont, just make sure u are not directly beneath it.

i used a chisel and hammer

starlet dude

Member +
Gutted mine too works well..... cover eyes with goggles an face with a wook work mask an ure good to go. Car didn't get any louder an i dont' have a resignator or back box... 2 1/4 exhaust straight pipe wid a hks super drager barel.

TurboDave

Member +
I agree that a proper decat is the better option although the question was on advice on the best way to do it.

:)

Just gut it mate, its really easy. Just make sure you have something covering your nose and mouth + some eye protection.

If you look inside a gutted cat I dont see how a specially made decat would flow any better, the cat is bloody big.

monka

Member +
its exactly because of that mate, its not a smooth flow, stuff gets caught up and turbalance from stuff going to and from the out side

Guye

Lifer
its exactly because of that mate, its not a smooth flow, stuff gets caught up and turbalance from stuff going to and from the out side
Agreed. Turbulance in your exhaust gas flow is far from "smooth" and "free flowing". A good decat pipe is best, trust me, I've had all three :) . That said, a gutted cat will flow better than stock.

Jay

Admin
If you look inside a gutted cat I dont see how a specially made decat would flow any better, the cat is bloody big.

It has a small outlet which causes a 'bottleneck' effect.

Not as effective at disposing the exhaust gases as a specifically designed decat pipe. A decatted stock unit encourages a little more boost but just doesn't offer the same results.

It's all about the flow bro.. ;)

JayGTT

Fresh Recruit
dude if your car is 94 or b4 just gutt it as up 2 94 doesn't need a emissions test, i gutted mine but no way neer as good as a de cat!:quadgt:

59bhp

Member +
id get a qualified taxidermist to do it personally...............................im here all week

Paddy

Lifer
i had a zep racing decat pipe that split in half twice so i gutted my cat. just the same as decat aprat from the cat has the brace bit on it. undid the bolts got a hammer and smashed it through. wish i done it first would have saved £140.

monka

Member +
and you got the same power in both set ups paddy?

if you got a decat with a brace it wouldnt have cracked either