just fitted brakes(problem) ??

Dan3SGTE

Member +
As title says ive just fitted my 4 pot willwood brakes(took me like 4 bloody hours!) .... bled the system etc etc..... took it out for a quick 5 min spindle and the brakes feel spongy and they take a while to stop... they are worse then my silly stock 1 piston calipers with stock pads....??

Do you think there is air still in the system?? Im sure i bled the whole thing properly... bled each caliper individually too....

any explanations?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
did u bleed it on ur own? coz thats pretty much impossible to do alone.. u need one guy to pump & the other to open close the valve..

besides they need time to bed in..

Damage

Member +
Have heard of problems like these cause the master cylinder size wont match the calipers or something of the sort and having this effect. Could be you still have air in the system though aswell mate.

lanxter

Member +
sounds like there still air there mate, might be worth giving them a bleed again.

how are you bleeding them?

dac69er

Super Moderator
did you bleed the fronts and the rears?

new brakes will always be shit when you 1st use them.

i had problems with my twin pots on the front, felt real spongy. someone said to me you may have to bleed passenger front and rear at the same time then both driver side.... not sure if it makes a difference to doing them singley...

Dan3SGTE

Member +
yeah i bled them with my bro as its obvious its impossible on your own....

@dac69er...... nope, i didnt think the rears need to be bleed as well?? just bled the 2 fronts......

@lanxter... yeah think might still have some.... tomorrow will flush the whole system out and try again....

So what you guys suggest... to bleed all for brakes on the car in one go.....??

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Have heard of problems like these cause the master cylinder size wont match the calipers or something of the sort and having this effect. Could be you still have air in the system though aswell mate.

well i bloody hope the master cylinder is good to cope otherwise this could be a problem......

Damage

Member +
well i bloody hope the master cylinder is good to cope otherwise this could be a problem......

Try running in the Pads a bit mate. Say 100km and slow braking. Than rebleed the system. Should work with no probs than. If problem still occurs might be the master cylinder prob.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Well if they're new pads they need bedded in, also I needed to rebleed my brakes before they had god initial bite after changing the discs lines and pads.

dac69er

Super Moderator
you have introduced air to the system. its just good practice to bleed all of them as air can get in and make its way to the rear brake lines and calipers.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
im not using the original master cylinder though dave... was one off another car to suit the positioning.....

still, i will tommorow give all for brakes a good bleed......

thanks for the info guys, will let you know how i get on.....

Dan3SGTE

Member +
i dont actually remember..... was a long long time ago....

i'll give me main man a call tommorow and he'll know.....

steveep82

Member +
im not using the original master cylinder though dave... was one off another car to suit the positioning.....

still, i will tommorow give all for brakes a good bleed......

thanks for the info guys, will let you know how i get on.....

I had a problem with my zep kit not bleeding and it turned out i had the calipers on the wrong sides, ie LH caliper on the RH side of the car, so the bleed nipples were at the bottom of the caliper therefore not letting the caliper bleed air out. Could be that?