Knocking on idle

littletodd18

Member +
Hi all,

Just got my EP82 yesterday and when warm it makes a horrible knocking noise on idle, quite a slow clunk clunk noise!

But when the engine is cold it sounds fine!

Any suggestions please?

sx_turbo

Lifer
possible big ends, but thats normally fast.

are you using much oil?

could be your pitons rings have gone, and your suffering piston slap

cole

Member +
Hi all,

Just got my EP82 yesterday and when warm it makes a horrible knocking noise on idle, quite a slow clunk clunk noise!

But when the engine is cold it sounds fine!

Any suggestions please?

if you rev it does it make the noise faster ?

littletodd18

Member +
possible big ends, but thats normally fast.

are you using much oil?

could be your pitons rings have gone, and your suffering piston slap

Am doing a compression test tomorow so will put the results up and see how the compression is, if the compression is good i can only assume it is the bottom end:(

I had to do a 100 mile journey to get it home, i think it did use a tad of oil but not alot, when i test drove it i got my mate to follow me in his car to make sure it didn't smoke on boost etc...

I will put a video of the noise up tomorow, and some pics of the car.

Thanks for your help so far, everyone seems to be quite friendly on here, on cliosport forum nobody will help you till you've paid your membership fee!

littletodd18

Member +
Right compression test done, results as follows

Piston 1: 11 bar

Piston 2: 11 bar

Piston 3: 8 bar

Piston 4: 11 bar

Problem lies with piston number 3, so theres a clunking noise on idle and when going along, and the engine cuts out when you put the clutch in now too!

Seems to me like i have bought an utterly f**ked car! Anyone know what the problem could be?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Looks like piston 3 is down (very common if you still have stock manifold due to restricted runner on no3) and also sounds like your big ends have gone :(

A video like Iain said would really help before we come to any conclusions.

Where are you in the world? Our engine builder is WR9 0NX if you are UK based, if you need help rebuilding please get in contact even if you want to do it yourself and want some friendly impartial advice regardless of where you buy the parts or who you use to do the work :)

T

Aidan-G

Member +
that would mean(i think)

Piston 1: 11 bar=161.7psi

Piston 2: 11 bar=161.7psi

Piston 3: 8 bar=117.6psi

Piston 4: 11 bar=161.7psi

(Roughly)

your compression is very low on piston 3 dude:mad:

Aidan-G

Member +
as google says "1 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch"

i was using 1 bar=14.7psi??where did i get that from!:noidea:

durmz

Member +
unlucky dude, yikes. this means im getting a mani next on the list as i drive way too hard...

littletodd18

Member +
Looks like piston 3 is down (very common if you still have stock manifold due to restricted runner on no3) and also sounds like your big ends have gone :(

A video like Iain said would really help before we come to any conclusions.

Where are you in the world? Our engine builder is WR9 0NX if you are UK based, if you need help rebuilding please get in contact even if you want to do it yourself and want some friendly impartial advice regardless of where you buy the parts or who you use to do the work :)

T

I'm in Ipswich, just checked and i am neally 4 hours from WR9 0NX,
absolutley gutted right now! It was spot on when i test drove it Saturday, got my mate to follow me to make sure it doesn't smoke on boost, drove it home (100 miles) and it was fine, then drove it yesterday and thats when the trouble started.

Does anyone know what sort of price i can get an engine for? I have an engine crane and a van to collect the engine in, so just need an engine!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
You can usually pick up a used engine for arond £400.00 - £550.00 just be sure it's a good one as you don't want the same problem down the line :)

Don't worry these things happen buddy, it's always best to get a second opinion from a mechanic near you just to be sure before you get the cash out :)

Thanks,

Toby

lingl9z

Member +
I'm in Ipswich, just checked and i am neally 4 hours from WR9 0NX,
absolutley gutted right now! It was spot on when i test drove it Saturday, got my mate to follow me to make sure it doesn't smoke on boost, drove it home (100 miles) and it was fine, then drove it yesterday and thats when the trouble started.

Does anyone know what sort of price i can get an engine for? I have an engine crane and a van to collect the engine in, so just need an engine!

one here 600 euros ono.
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33390

forged one here for 1300
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33690

just search around mate!!