My Brother the Islamist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Did anyone see this on BBC3? I watched it on the iPlayer last night a thought it was very interesting.

What were people's opinions on it?

Dave.

Member +
Hey,

I watched this quite compulsively, I didn't think I'd have any interest in it really, but I was totally wrong. It's rekindled an old interest I had for learning more about religion (I'm definitely an atheist, so just for educational purposes) - I'd like to read the Qur'an (but need a well translated version - something hard to come by).

I don't know what I felt watching it though - it's right to feel morally obliged to live a good life and be a good person, but I don't think you need to religion to do that, nor do I think it should be pushed onto other people.

I was completely disguisted at the protests though (at funerals and soldiers returning home)...

Dave

Starlet_Sam

Those protests always make me laugh, 2 groups that are as bad as each other shouting at each other. The EDL are as disgraceful as Islam4UK, just the opposite.

I look at programmes like this from an atheist point of view. I see religions as cults, made up propaganda to control people's behaviour through fear of the unknown. I hate the way it dominates the world, divides families and whole countries. Some people literally want others to die for not believing in something with zero proof.

Of course it's not all about Muslims though, look at the family on Louis Theroux the other night, I think it's the Greenborough Church or somthing similar. Those guys are probably the worst I've seen.

Dave.

Member +
Yea - the Westboro Baptist Church... I'm pretty certain they only act like that to inspire hatred in the hope someone gets physical or slanderous. They've sued so many people you wouldn't believe...

But yea - Religion causes so many problems, and solves virtually none. I watched both the Louis Theroux and 'My brother the islamist' in sheer disbeleif that people like this exist.

Dave

gv1.3

Admin
Dan told me about it, I am going to give it a watch if I get a chance tonight.

I like your above comments Dave and Sam. As an atheist I sometimes find it difficult to see issues from the perspective of a believer and so I do make a very real effort to research and gain knowledge of different religions, their history and their teachings.

The fundamentalist side of any religion is ugly in my opinion. I was watching a US current affairs show recently and one of the contributors made a good point. He said that is pretty much a fact that in Western society the majority if not all violent crimes carried out in the name of religion are done so by muslims. Yes christians have a very vocal extreme side too but they are not all over the Internet beheading people.

I think it is true to say this (please read it carefully before responding) - not all muslims are violent religious extremists but the vast majority of violent religious extremists are muslim.

My point above is supported by recent events in Afghanistan. A stupid pastor in Florida burns a book... these guys retaliate by butchering dozens of innocent westerners, hardly a measured response.

dan_ep82

Member +
Dan told me about it, I am going to give it a watch if I get a chance tonight.

I like your above comments Dave and Sam. As an atheist I sometimes find it difficult to see issues from the perspective of a believer and so I do make a very real effort to research and gain knowledge of different religions, their history and their teachings.

The fundamentalist side of any religion is ugly in my opinion. I was watching a US current affairs show recently and one of the contributors made a good point. He said that is pretty much a fact that in Western society the majority if not all violent crimes carried out in the name of religion are done so by muslims. Yes christians have a very vocal extreme side too but they are not all over the Internet beheading people.

I think it is true to say this (please read it carefully before responding) - not all muslims are violent religious extremists but the vast majority of violent religious extremists are muslim.

My point above is supported by recent events in Afghanistan. A stupid pastor in Florida burns a book... these guys retaliate by butchering dozens of innocent westerners, hardly a measured response.

i agree with this.

give it a watch dylan was worth a look made me a tad angry tbh lol

rage

Lifer
I'm interested in seeing this, can someone supply a link to watch it?

I'm an atheist to the bone but i respect people who believe.
but i hate it when people want to force you to believe what they believe. it's like it's not enough that they themselves believe.
it's the extremists of any relegion that make the whole fuss i.m.h.o.

Starlet_Sam

The iPlayer is blocked outside of th UK as it is regarded that non UK residents don't pay the licence fee and therefore have no right to watch it's content.

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
is there not a way of going through a uk proxy so that the site thinks your location is in the uk?? ive seen it done for us sites, but it was a long time ago.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I think this video is wrong! Everyone is going to be a muslim soon in this country if it'll carry on like in this video.

I'm not practicing christian and I've nothing against other religions. If feels like this is a muslim country and they have more rights then native English and christians. The way he punched that white man - that was completely wrong it's his own country no matter if he is drunk - this would never happen in Russia as muslims know that by doing that they will be beaten badly by non muslims and they have to respect other people/religions as well.

Their law doesn't apply to other religions - this is what they have to understand and they're not in a Muslilm country - this what all those muslims completely forgot.

And that bloke Saluhadin is living on benefits and gets paid over £1K just in the housing benefits - the money which comes for the TAXES I PAY - and he treats his own country and his own family like sh*t!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Give it another thought and I think they need to ban all that islamic brainwash on the Youtube and other media!

If you feel that is wrong try to spread christian religion in any Islamic Country - IRAN for example and you won't go very far, probably will be beaten to death for doing that or hanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.