My First Track Day

Rory

Lifer
Well i had my first track day last Sunday, at Knockhill race circuit, with my Brother, and 2 cousins.
It was a day run by the ADMC (Aberdeen, District, Motor Club) for 6 hours of open pit lane.
Lots of prepped Hillclimb/Sprint cars were present with a host of Evos, Imprezas etc etc, so i knew i was in the deep end.

Started out wet in the morning, which wasnt fun, soon found out how bad the car was in the greasy conditions........
Anyway it was soon drying out and the lap times were getting quicker, and the confidence was growing.

Even in the dry, the car wasnt behaving it self on the twisties, but it soon made up for that on the straights, playing with machinery that people thought was quick.

A couple of pics and a video (more to come)

Click here to watch Knockhill-Drive-by--Starlet-Elise-CRX

After a quick break, i was ready for more.
But to my disgust, as i went to jump in the car, i noticed a load of oil on the floor............ CRAP, Soon turned out to be the oil return for the turbo had split while it was cooling from the last session, lucky for me it must have split just as the car was on the timer (20 secs max)
So i had to go on the smooch for another bit of hose to use, thankfully a guy from up north had a van full of spares for his XR2.
Soon got that sorted and was away again......... But for how long......

Gave the car a couple of laps, to make sure nothing was going to happen, then started putting the boot in again.
Was getting on great, and was soon catching my brother over a few laps.
Just as i was going for him, i started noticing the boost was becoming more lazy, thought i must have selected the wrong gear or something, anyway next corner, whacked her down a gear and nailed it, NOTHING happend :(

I was becoming impatient by this time, so pulled off again to be greeted by this......
Bonnet open

The bloody thing had snapped off!! :flame:

So to cap off my first track day,
The fun factor was brilliant and will be doing more next year.
And the down side was having to hire a trailor and take a day off work to go and retreive te car the next day :(

Either way, im happy enough with the way the day went, and its made me realise that, if you think your car handles well on the street, be prepared for a shock on the track.

Comments welcome

Rory

***Extra Video***

Click here to watch Knockhill-281007

Last edited:

goldenvtr

Member +
Cool car looks great on the track, I cant wait to do a trackday, im worried about things like that happening. cant belive the wastegatesnaped ooff, i would put another brace on there if you can.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Nice one mate, knockhills a good track to drive, I look forward to getting mine round it once I've got a few other bits done. Are you gonna be doing a few more chassis mods now?

Thats a right bugger about the wastegate coming off though, was it on a weld or has the pipe just snapped?

Could you not of driven the car home just with no boost?

Rory

Lifer
@ Storey - Cheers for the comments, expensive but thats life.
For the fun i had, i couldnt care!

@ Dan - The wastegate was braced to start with, but the mani cracked after 3 weeks.
Its been unbraced scince June, and thats been the only problem with it.
Personally think the welding, should be a tad bigger.
Either way the new mani will be ordered next week.

Rory

Lifer
Wallace - I could have but the exhaust gasses would have heated up the rad to much especially over 1.5 hours drive home....
The weld has given up along with the pipe, low grade stainless work hardens itself, the snaps. Hence i havent braced it.
If the manis were stress releived before sending out, people would have the problems with cracking.

goldenvtr

Member +
Ah fair do, you still on a hybrid? i had that same wastgate on my old setup.
How was the water temps with that rad your using?

Rory

Lifer
Yeah still on the hybrid, but have td04 waiting to go on.
Unsure of the water temps, as ive only got the the standard temp gauge.
I only run hard for 5 laps or so then backed off for a couple, then back on etc etc

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Makes sense, don't want to risk breaking something else. Sacha's stainless mani's certainly don't seem to be lasting too long....

Jay

Admin
Trackdays take their toil on cars, I can vouch for that alright!

You're making me worry slightly about the mani on the project. Hope it's okay with light use and occasional driving!

Looks like a fun day out all the same Rory, they are damned addictive. I learn something new everytime I'm out on one. Usually it's a new way to bust something..

riko666

Member +
you need the car to cope with you first :p

Argh, so much money just to get this car ready for a trackday again....:(

Rory

Lifer
Jay - My car is a daily driver, and it gets a good ragging at the track etc etc.

Dan - Thats what im doing, going mild steel.

Riko - Its worth the money though, theres to much fun to be had!

riko666

Member +
I know chap, been on 4 trackdays, a couple of road rallies and an Autotest in my time...and have had to take a 2 year hiatus due to car problems :(

Rory

Lifer
Crack on and get the car sorted then......................... Easier said than done though! :D

stuart

Member +
Sorry to hear that mate! but only bigger and better things to come? :D
glad u had a fun on the track!

Rory

Lifer
Stuart - Slightly degrading size wise, the WEPR hybrid is bigger than the tdo4l, it will give the same results though.
Fun on track, was like a kid in a sweetie shop!

Rory

Lifer
The bug is a bast*rd, gona run me dry!!
The motor will be back on the road early next week, welders at my work are doing there magic.

stuart

Member +
That's not too bad then, if the guys at your workplace are giving a helping hand.

Should look at entering toyota sprint series next year, funds providing, will be a fair distance to trailer car to each event etc though.

all the best fella :)