New water lines setup for the ct9

mark1991

Member +
I had a thought today about the ct9 water feed for the turbo, I was keen to try using both water ports on the turbo the one that faces the engine and the one that is blanked off at the front behind the actuator rod.

I was going to just weld in fittings into the front blanking plate and make a new one for the back (facing the engine) and weld a fitting into the new plate so that water would to into the back and out of the front of the turbo.

Would this give better cooling to the turbo having the water flowing faster and straight through the turbo?

If this did indeed lead to better cooling what effect would it have on the turbo?

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
I will have a guess that this comes down to contact area, material and temp. If these are the same in both setups I would say the heat transfer would be less at higher flow rate. While reduced heat transfer to water may have some advantage I would expect it is more important to cool the turbo to reduce hot air temp spiking.
Pehaps if you had increased surface transfer area and had faster flow more heat could be removed to the water providing the radiator can cope or maybe add an aluminium radiator to remove the extra heat.

Rev

Member +
x2 worth a read . Reducing turbo air temp is a good idea though maybe some water injection would do the trick.

Last edited:

mark1991

Member +
I had a quick skim... even tho this was to work i not running a ct9 I am on a td04 but i just had a idea thats all lads lol

dark_knight

Member +
water lines

i'd thought about doing this myself as i had a centre housing off another ct9 lying about but the problem then would be the exit side is obstructed by the actuator arm, unless you'd be able to run the plumbing around that.

in the oem design of the turbo cooling circuit, the feed pipe protrudes a little into the cooling chamber and i believe this works to swirl the coolant further in after which is it sucked back up by the exit port/pipe. this i think, works sufficiently enough to have the coolant collect as much heat as possible to be dissipated to the rest of the circuit, and would just mean that one would only have to keep their cooling circuit (rad, fan, pipes etc) in good health to keep their turbines happy.. :)