Oil filter adapter help please

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Morning all.

I'm a little worried about the leak im getting from my oil filter adapter. I know im loosing oil somewhere and not sure whether its partly being burned off and leaking from the seal on my ebay filter adapter.

Heres my wanted thread below i started before:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...wanted&p=1045703&highlight=filter#post1045703

I’m going to go for the mocal adapter as per the below link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mocal-All...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item519dcd20d4

Hopefully that’s a genuine mocal one. They advised that my oil filter will fit this, but will this screw into my block?

I can’t really afford to buy a greddy one from RHD @ £70+ at the moment, i just want one that doesn’t leak like my current one.

Also, as for my power steering bracket, rather than grinding down the side of my oil filter adapter, can i just take my power steering bracket off and grind everything off there to make it fit??

Help :(

dark_knight

Member +
oil sandwich

leaks can be because of several reasons, most prevalent are not torquing the adapter in properly, or in some cases, not using the rubber seal supplied..! i have a similar one and have had no problems whatsoever with it. ensure you are getting the proper thread size for our platform. can't remember what it is but i know the sensor ports are 1/8 NPT. someone can confirm what the centre bore thread is..

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Thanks for the pic of the ground down power steering bracket dark_knight... very helpful. Did much need shaving off of it? What did you use?

@ Mark... this was fitted by TMD when my engine was rebuilt and they only shaved off the adapter not the bracket.

Its leaking from the seal for some reason even though ive replaced before.

Im thinking of not touching the adapter at all and just shaving it all of the power steering bracket instead if thats possible, to prevent any kind of leak coming from the adapter.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Whats the best and easiest thing to grind that bracket down? I dont have any kind of power tools at home for that kind of job...

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i have power tools at my workshop and im around this weekend lewis.
also yu may need to use some sealant like i had to previously...

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Hi Jay,

Thanks mate, i cant do it this weekend as i need to know how much to take off... so therefore i need to get the car on my driveway, take off the bracket etc.. etc.. what do you suggest? Do you know how much needs to come off or is it trail and error?

Hi Jay,

Thanks mate, i cant do it this weekend as i need to know how much to take off... so therefore i need to get the car on my driveway, take off the bracket etc.. etc.. what do you suggest? Do you know how much needs to come off or is it trail and error?

Trial and error is the only way cause 95% of plates are different sizes

dark_knight

Member +
how much to grind off

no problem Blak_Mamber. always glad to be of some assistance.. :)
depending on what kinda adapter you have, and looking at this image, you can leave about 3/4 inch from the bottom of the bracket to the grinding surface. since i don't know your sandwich dimensions, i'd suggest you shave off bit by bit as you work your way down. better not to take off too much.. and a hand file will take about 3 decades to get it done.. :p i did mine with a metal-works industrial grinder and it was done in minutes -- literally, primarily because i'd done and made all the measurement markings with a permanent marker so it was easy peasey to just follow the lines.. :)

the bracket is still quite sturdy so no worries about it buckling in when you re-mount it onto the block.. :D

dark_knight

Member +
angle grinder

yes mate. an angle grinder will work too. just ensure they give you the proper 'head' -- there's a cutting head and a shaving/grinding head.. the cutting head will work too but you'll have to exert more force while at it. you'll be alright. will share an image of the better way to do it shortly..
wish i took measurements when i was doing mine. would have made your life easier.. :)

dark_knight

Member +
shaving the psp bracket, how-to

as promised Blak_Mamber, here's how i did mine. lots of other ways but i think this works a treat;
a_ make the two major cuts on either side after taking your measurements
b_ proceed with the inner smaller cuts
c_ cut them close to each other so that they are easy to bend & break off
d_ once the inside mass is done, smooth down the surface using a large file or the grinder
e_ voila! happy installation.. :)

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
if u get a mocal sandwich plate like i use on track lewis, then i would suggest taking a chucnk size on an average cigarette first, and keep taking bit off till it fits flush...

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Just attack the bracket with an angle grinder - will take a while with anything else, although not much material needs removed. I have the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate (which I wouldn't recommend btw).....

DSC_3067.jpg