oil from breather!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
how much is acceptable? i seem to get a bit when i connect it to my bov but otherwise i hardly get any at all? tried with just the pipe on to atmosphere and also with nothing on and just a filter and i get a small amount of residue if that and thats about it. if i fit it to my bov it seems to have more come through. i can understand when connected to the efi pipe as the vacuum will draw some through but with my arc bov the way it is i cant see how or why?

its been pretty much the same since ive had the car so if its anything major i would have thought it would have shown up by now!?
uses no oil or coolant and doesnt smoke apart from a small wisp of blacky grey smoke that all decatted cars have.

any comments on this?

Greg0r

Member +
well i get quite abit and ive been told its ok,

i put a red breather filter on and within two days the red cotton was black with oil, installed an oil catch can keep everything clean

dac69er

Super Moderator
i drove around for a week or so with a bit of white foam filter material cable tied over the end of the stub to see what came out and it got next to nothing on it really. if its meant to be like that then i wont worry about it. just wondered what was normal

dac69er

Super Moderator
ok, ill take it as being normal then mate, cheers. will just make sure it doesnt get worse

C

CaL

lol i get none....i have pressure....i have a hose running into a coke bottle and its dry

sx_turbo

Lifer
yes that is normal duncan, when it gets excessive is when you start worrying. in my bov there is a very slight residue, but i wouldnt worry about that.

it could be coming from the turbo side, and not the breather.

sx_turbo

Lifer
cal there will always be pressure from the breather pipe, there will be loads of pressure when the rings have gone, if you put your thumb over it for 30 seconds then let go and you get a woosh noise and sounds a bit like one of them old kettles, then you have a problem, if nothing then there no need to worry.

also if you didnt know wot you was on about why did you post?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i get none out of the bov. my turbo was only rebuilt a year and a half ago so that seems fine. its 100% from the breather. i just noticed it today as i dont have my efi pipe on anymore but still have my arc bov, it just had some oil on the bottom of it where it would fit into the efi pipe.
ill just watch it and make sure it doesnt get any worse