Performance issues after hybrid, manifold, actuator, filter re-location

Kev

Member +
Hi all.

I got my car back from Toy Tuning last Thursday evening and set off for Santa Pod on the Saturday expecting I'll be running faster 1/4 mile times then before.

The only other 1/4 mile runs I have done previously when it was standard other then full exhaust system and bov was at Shakespeare Raceway where I managed to achieve 16.015 which I thought then was a little slower then it should be.

Toy Tuning have fitted the following:
  • CT9 Hybrid
  • Japspeed Manifold
  • Toy Tuning Actuator
  • Filter relocation kit (re-located near drivers fog light)
  • New OEM Clutch Plate
  • New Gaskets, Bolts, Oil Change gearbox and engine
At Santa Pod the quickest time I could achieve was a 15.5, so I managed to knock 0.5 off my previous best, but I was aiming for around early 14's with what I'm now running. Does that sound about right? I launched at around 4k and nailed several starts and changed gear at 6.5k, there was nothing more I could do.

A friend of mine running his Glanza stripped out, just exhaust and bov ran a 15.14, so as you could I imagine I was a bit gutted!

I would like to point out that I don't think it's a issue with Toy Tuning's work, rather there is a problem somewhere with my car. The only thing it could possibly be from the job is that the hybrid isn't up to scratch, doubtful I know.

It holds boost at 0.7 bar, blows very little smoke on start up, much better then before, on the road it feels much quicker, pulls smoothly and the top end now feels immense, at Pod I was catching people all the time near the end of the strip.

I met up with Kingyglanza there who had a look at my ECU and it looks like at one point the previous owner ran something off the ECU as the wiring is not standard. At present I have no aftermarket engine management.

I be will changing the radiator soon as it could do with changing and getting a catch can installed.

Does anyone have any idea of why my time was down so much? I know I have my install in the boot, but this really isn't that heavy at all.

I'm thinking of getting a power run down on a rolling road to see what it's putting out and if it throws up anything on there. Can anything really be done with the OEM ECU on a rolling road?

thanks for any advice, sorry for the long post. I'll add pics on the engine bay shortly.

Kev

Mike D EP82

Member +
is the turbo run in? iv heard you need to run it in for 5000 miles or so. Maybe your losing boost somewhere or you are maybe scrubbing off speed wheels spinning??

white-ep82

Member +
0.7 with an install doesnt sound an awful time. What clutch are you running? and what tyres/suspension? without a decent suspension setup any more power wont have that great an effect.

get the boost up to 1 bar aswell!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Hey Kev,

Just spotted your mail :) As mentioned 1 bar would be ideal and will see you into the 14's with a good setup, good management as well even just a Blue would suffice over a FRP alone. There are so many variables with the qtr mile, suspension setup and tire choice/setup is key.

Post up your 60ft times and terminal speed as well. The stock Starlet in Japan ran just under 16 seconds so knocking a second off for that boost is pretty good. Also strip her Kev that weight is killing you! Will send you a chunky one and try and improve your time, when I'm at pod I'll check it out as well :)

The hyrbid is fine all checked before they go out and your car runs well, I think a few more weight saving excercises, some more boost and a dyno setup will yield the results you want mate :) Don't forget there are lads out there running TD04's with 14.5 ET's and 40 more bhp
T

Last edited:

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah to be honest with no decent tune and that boost your not gonna be running must further than 180hp,

obviously alot of different factors make the times up on the qm.

driver ability / track temperature / tyre pressure etc all have a factor

i would say keep practising! and maybe aim for some management in future

G

gaz_turbo1

yeah did you run your turbo in:p
what fueling mods you got?

sx_turbo

Lifer
get some fuelling mods, whack the boost upto 1.1bar, and get it rr'd, you'll be ok then ;)

the problem is your running basically standard boost now, and from my understanding hybrids dont like running standard boost

GTti

Member +
Stock intercooler and pipe work will kill the response of the hybrid which would help greatly in low and midrange. I have an identical cooler on the GTti and they don't help when running more boost and a hybrid.

I'd say invest in a good cooler (They can be picked up cheap for GT's these days), get the AFR's monitored on the rolling road and adjust fuel pressure for the time being.

Eventually invest in a piggy back of aftermarket ECU and you'll be well on your way.

I think some people forget how much extra power it actually takes to shave seconds off a 1/4 mile time. Considering the only performance modifications you have is a manifold, and the fact @ 10psi the power difference from a hybrid will be minimal. At 1bar/15psi the efficiency of the hybrid will really come into play.

... I'd say thats a pretty good result.

P.S Go easy on the new clutch, they do need time to settle.

Also with the hybrid, it might be worth revving that little harder to get the best performance (7000RPM). You'll have shifted the power band slighty up with the larger compressor on the hybrid.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
was a different place at a different time so its not really comparable. you also need to have exactly the same start to make a decent comparison between the two setups.

fur

Member +
shifting too early, 6500 is fine for ct9 but anything bigger can benefit from a few more R's

monka

Member +
i'd say you need to shift about 7100, i did when i went up and managed 15.5 stripped with a cat back. spinning off the line as well, what tyres are you using?

Elaine

Lifer
I think a lot of it comes down to how well you lunch your car as well.

My car ran 14.4sec ¼ mile with standard turbo running 1bar will full supporting mods, so maybe you just need to practise and get the rest of the mods done.

With a Hybrid mapped running about 220bhp you should be able to get mid 13’s I would have thought????

Gee

Member +
Takes a lot of power to shave seconds off on the QTR and obviously the variables on the day will effect your time, especially as you ran at a different track?

I'd really go for the mods that have been suggested above and you should see a big difference in performance. Forget the QTR, you will be able to feel the improvements on the road.

But like Toby said, too many variables! This is why some people get 14 sec QTR's on the TD04L and some get low 13's ;)

Will be fun this year and next year thou...to my knowledge, nobody has run good boost on the QTR with TD04L (1.4bar) with a good setup. The TD04L is good for high 12's no doubt about it.

Don't think you should be comparing times to other turbo's however. It's all about how it goes/feels on the road. You should feel the performance difference. If you are really into drag, you should of gone for a bigger turbo in the first place to be honest.

Good luck.

Kev

Member +
Ok, this is my best time from the day:

reaction: +.7032
60ft: 2.6268
330ft: 6.7242
1/8 ET: 10.1171
1/8 MPH: 72.60
1000' ET: 12.9576
1/4 ET: 15.5113
1/4 MPH: 89.02

tyres are 195/50/R15 Hankook k105 and the suspension setup is koni fronts, standard rear shocks, whiteline springs -40mm, anti lift castor kit, whiteline front and rear antiroll bars.

I'm pretty experienced on the 1/4 mile especially at Santa Pod with previous cars, however I was getting used to the clutch and only my second time on the 1/4 mile in the glanza.

As mentioned I have no fueling mods at present, maybe look at getting a HKS fuel cut defender, map it on an e-manage blue and front mount the intercooler and run it at 1bar, anything else I should look at?

My main aim from the new turbo and manifold from booking it in with Toy Tuning was to replace old parts for new, new gaskets etc and have piece of mind all is ok with the setup. I just expected a quicker time at Santa Pod, but on reading the above posts, I'll need to do more, which I can at any time when funds allow.

Thanks for the quick responses!

edit: engine bay pics now in members cars section

Kev

Last edited:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Hi Kev,

Yeah for stock management that really is quite good if I'm honest, although still a CT9 the compressor map is different so the management will not be used to it, it will be okay but no optimum. 1 bar and even an FPR alone would see you smiling I'm sure :) I don't even think you need to do too much more Kev, also invest in some 888 for the qtr mile. Yok a048r are better but if it drizzles you are buggered so the 888 semi's make a better choice in my eyes.

We will have full slick drag tires added this week :):)

T

monka

Member +
i think you need to sort out the tyres and suspension,

stiffer rears will help a tiny bit, i managed 15.5 on continentals on a trd suspension,

also, i hear you have an install, that could be the main reason, you may not think it adds up to much, but it really does, my old 106 managed quarter of a seconds worth of difference over a 200m strip with just the sub out.