Re using old manifold gaskets.

After-Glanza

Member +
At the minute i have no new gaskets around for my manifold-turbo or manifold- head. could someone tell me is it ok to use the older gaskets that are in pretty good nick with a wee touch of black silicone to seal it a bit better? cheers for any help.

GTdan

In The Closet
is it a new manifold your using or same manifold??

manifold turbo will be fine to use.

but would recomend a new head-manifold gasket, as people have had problems reusing the old one when with a new manifold.

people are generally going to say to buy new ones for the sake of it

BUT i personally re-use my gaskets once they are in good shape--intake mani, exhaust mani, turbo-intercooler, turbo-d/pipe----those i have reused several times......once u did not have a leak/issue to start with, then they should all be in good condition

the only gasket i would not reuse that comes to mind right now is a head gasket:)

After-Glanza

Member +
im using a differnt manifold to head gasket and its nearly mint and the other one is the same. can i use a wee touch of silicone then just to be safe? cheers guys.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Just replace the gaskets why do people have to be so trivial about gaskets.

Its simple if you are putting a new manifold on its just best practice to replace the gaskets. Why would you not ? Yeah ok if the gasket has very recently been changed you may get away with it.

But in most cases the gaskets are very old and personally would never just reuse a gasket would rather put brand new ones on just be be safe and know that it wont start blowing after i have fitted the manifold.

Choice is totally yours though mate my recommendation is change the gaskets if putting a new manifold on :)

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
people are generally going to say to buy new ones for the sake of it

BUT i personally re-use my gaskets once they are in good shape--intake mani, exhaust mani, turbo-intercooler, turbo-d/pipe----those i have reused several times......once u did not have a leak/issue to start with, then they should all be in good condition

the only gasket i would not reuse that comes to mind right now is a head gasket:)

Thats the same situation with most of us here.. unless a gasket blows there is no need to replace it, unless its a stock/cometic hg :)

kon

Jay

Admin
Just on using the sealant - be extra careful when applying before the turbo as excess gunge can foul the turbo blades and cause issues. Also the material used in RTV sealant can affect lambda probes badly.

Would still advise a fresh set of gaskets to be extra-safe though.