Rear Disc Conversion

Spart

Fresh Recruit
I live in the USA and these parts are impossible to find here because Toyota didn't see fit to sell the Starlet/Paseo/Tercel with factory rear disc brakes. Needless to say those parts are in high demand here among those who modify their Tercels and Paseos!

What I'm looking for:

2x Rear backing plates
8x Rear backing plate bolts
2x Rear caliper brackets
2x Rubber line from caliper to backing plate
2x Hard line from backing plate to axle
2x Hand brake cables
2x Rotors
2x Calipers
1x Proportioner valve

Also since we can't even buy new parts in the states, I would like to be able to get 2x new rotors and two sets of pads. And a rebuild kit for the calipers would be nice too, perhaps even necessary. Wheel bearings and inner seals aren't necessary, luckily those are interchangeable with the same parts for the drums. It might be a good idea to pull one of these jobs:

cutoffs.jpg

...and just cut the whole assembly off the axle with a torch. One more thing, I believe the EP91 is more compatible with my vehicle's hand brake cables, but I know for a fact that EP82's will work with minor modifications, so either's good.

Feel free to reply or PM with an offer in pounds/USD for what's listed above, without consideration to shipping cost. I know it will cost a lot to ship anything weighing around 15-20Kg, which is what I figure this will all come out to. I'm giving plenty of consideration to the time and trouble it would take to collect all this stuff, so even if you feel your price would be too high, make an offer anyway! There are many in the states looking for a "kit" so perhaps you could start something. :cool:

Jay

Admin
I looked into this a long time ago. I'll see what prices I was getting to give you an idea.

Spart

Fresh Recruit
Sounds great!

I spent most of today replacing a CV axle, rebuilding and painting my calipers, installing larger rotors for a Paseo, and installing the front two Ksport coilovers that just came in.

frontsuspension.jpg

...just need some nice disc brakes for the rear too!

Spart

Fresh Recruit
Hmmm..what's missing here?

09rearswaybarinstalled.jpg

Ah yes, rear disc brakes to replace those nasty looking drums!

riko666

Member +
hey there chap, give member b19elb I think, a PM - he offered me his rear axle, maybe he'll send it out to you?

thetruth

Fresh Recruit
Hey Spart, what state do you live in? You should search on ebay they frequently have complete rear axle for sale. I bought one about a year ago. Check it out.
ProjectTercel003.jpg

hey mate, I'm located in the US also (Maryland), and I'm running the starlet rear axle aswell...

you will NOT need the proportioning valve, nobody I know with the conversion is, and have no lockup problems....mine came with it and I threw it out...

Toby and/or DaveBurwash will be able to sort you for the rear rotors and pads, and might be able to get you the other bits you need, if not Trevor (who posted in this thread) may be able to sort you out

Spart

Fresh Recruit
nice little project,
hows the rear ARB??

It's fantastic, its the adjustable Whiteline but you probably already knew that. I'm not sure whether I want to go harder or softer with the adjustability as I haven't had the chance to really max it out in the corners. The problem now is not going too fast through the corners, it's not being able to go fast enough! :rockon:

I think the Ksport's did just as much if not more for the handling. Just installing the front Ksport's dropped my body roll considerably.

I just placed a bid on this... I still may not win though so anyone with a good offer on the parts feel free to post.

And I'm still interested in getting new pads and discs! My front discs came with a black coating that seems to keep the parts that don't contact the pads from rusting very well, I haven't even noticed any surface rust on the discs so far. I would like to get something similar for the back if anyone has anything like that available.

dac69er

Super Moderator
rear discs are a waste of time in my opinion. 99% of the time drums will be perfectly adequate.
if you want looks though then go for it

Jay

Admin
rear discs are a waste of time in my opinion. 99% of the time drums will be perfectly adequate.

There's a noticable difference under extreme braking conditions. I learned a lot after driving my trackcar for the first time on the track. I've retained the drums until I can warrant the swap to discs.

Spart if you check on tercelonline I posted the prices and weight of rear discs and pads in their braking forum ages ago. Think it's stickied at the top.

Attachments

• Brake pads and discs1888.jpg
    Brake pads and discs1888.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 03042006500.jpg
    03042006500.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

dac69er

Super Moderator
i agree there, but how many people drive their cars to that extreme? not many!? even then the drums can be good enough anyway

Spart

Fresh Recruit

I live in good old Iowa, this is deer country. I need all the stopping power I can get, I have full coverage on the car but all the same I'd rather not need it.

The looks are part of it too, I think the drums look horrible. And I'm not going to be ghetto (like a lot of trucks I see around here) and paint the drums orange or something. They're staying coated with rust till they come off and get thrown in with the heap of the rest of my old parts!

How is the ride quality with the ksports?

I won't sugar coat it for you: they're coilovers. It's a racing suspension, not a luxury one.

The bumps do get better the faster you go! And I definitely feel safer going around corners at speed, not worrying that my tires will bounce off the ground and I'll go flying sideways because of some bump in the road.

I think they are starting to break in a little bit though, rough roads don't feel super hard like they used to. Or I'm just getting used to it.

Spart

Fresh Recruit
Anybody have just the rear disc conversion parts (no new parts) available for less than $320 USD shipped? If not I'm going to go ahead and do a buy it now on eBay.

dandydons

Member +
I sent you a message mate but no reply.. I have discs and backing plates only though.
Anybody have just the rear disc conversion parts (no new parts) available for less than $320 USD shipped? If not I'm going to go ahead and do a buy it now on eBay.

Harvey

Member +
You also dont get the problem of the crappy rear calipers handbrake mechanism sticking and causing your brakes to bind!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
dont i know it had to rebuild mine. drums are alot easier to live with most of the time.

im suprised your ksports are less bumpy!? i find that the car feels as though its going to bounce off the road if the road is too bad.

Spart

Fresh Recruit
Didn't even know I had any messages! For some reason this board isn't sending emails when I get them. Oh well.

The coilovers are bumpy as you say, but only if the road is really bad. I'm considering getting a lower rate spring for the rears as the Ksports for this model come with 296's front and rear. 296 is fine for the front but on the rear, that's just crazy. The back end of these cars don't weigh enough to justify that. I'm thinking of downgrading to around 220 or so.

I'm still open to offers until tomorrow, these drums have to go.